Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good grief, racking up miles on 70D at rate of 40,000 per year - yikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been putting on a lot of miles too, almost a year for me already, and almost 22k miles. But it's close to what I thought I'd do (I estimated about 20k a year)

Once the Model 3 comes out, the mileage on the S will decrease somewhat :D

Good point. Has anyone studied the pros and cons between having a heavier/large capacity battery pack versus a lighter/low capacity battery pack, assuming there's a major weight difference between the two?

In a way the car industry has. Everyone made EVs with about 1/3 or the Tesla capacity. Those cars are selling as well. For example compare the weight of the BMW i3 and the Model S.

I would not worry about the battery all that much. In July, my P85 will be 3 years old and should be around ~90K miles. My rated range at 99% is 249 miles which is 94% of its original capacity. I charge to 90% every day and, on average, hit the Superchargers at least once per week.

At some point, I might look at getting a 100 KWh pack, but to be honest, the 6 miles of lost range so far is trivial.

Reactions: David99
*chuckle* Just keep on driving - it's good for ya.

As another datapoint, I'll be at 50,000 miles in about 2 weeks - after 17 months of ownership. Just getting started...

At some point "soon", they'll light up the Alaskan Highway, so that'll add another 10,000 miles or so from SoCal and back.

And at some point after that, the Great Supercharger Wasteland from Tucson to San Antonio will maybe finally (perish the thought... be still my heart) get addressed (forecast since 2014 and they're ZERO FOR EIGHT so far), and that will demand proper testing with a second SoCal to Key West trip, although probably by way of Bar Harbor(Maine) and possibly Nova Scotia. Still, it will be nice to not have to take a hard right at Baton Rouge into tornado country and the black ice of the high desert when there's a perfectly good transcontinental route just sitting there. Rumor has it that's why they built I-10 in the first place *twitch*.

And so it goes.

Looking at the data the degradation is really low and slows down the more you drive. So piling up miles on the battery doesn't seem to be much of an issue. At what point is degradation a problem? 10% loss? 20% loss? As long as you can do your daily drives and can make it easily between Superchargers, it's fine. By the time battery degradation is starting to cause issues I think the rest of the car will cause a lot more issues and repairs. As of now it seems the battery will easily last as long as the car itself. A new battery would not be necessary because it gets bad before the car dies, it's more about getting a larger one with more range.

So far Tesla has been really unsupportive of battery upgrades. Their prices are ridiculously high most probably to discourage it. I don't feel like paying $23k to get 5 kWh more (from 85 to 90).

I'm at just over 18K miles on my 70D, and it hasn't quite been a year yet. I'm starting to seriously debate whether to give up entirely on keeping it within the "resale guarantee" limit. I like the resale guarantee because of concerns over the Model 3 reducing the resale, and all the improvements they'll make on the AP hardware over the course of the next couple years.

Having so many miles is really quite unusual for me since I tend to be a home body. I don't like being out with all the crazies.

For reference my 4 year old Jeep has just over 34K miles, and it's paid off.

The other day I became concerned that maybe there was something wrong with the odometer on the Tesla that could be contributing to so many miles. So for a couple days I alternated between driving the Jeep one day, and the Tesla the next day. That test only resulted in a 1.7% greater amount of miles registered by the Tesla than the Jeep. That was a rather short 17.7 or 17.4 mile commute so it's likely the error was significantly less than 1.7%.

I put about 30-40k (can't fully remember now) miles in 11 months on my S60. Pretty much stayed 100% charged the whole time. I knew I would rack up miles so I had twin chargers and supercharging. Happy I have an S85 now.