TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Good honest demo and discussion of Autopilot by Barnacules Nerdgasm

Discussion in 'Video' started by dhanson865, Oct 20, 2015.

1. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#1 dhanson865, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Tesla Autopilot in P85D Supercar, Scary as Hell! - YouTube

Good honest demo and discussion of Autopilot by Barnacules Nerdgasm.

Don't let the title fool you, he laughs when he is scared, gets used to it, and learns as he is using it.

575,000+ views when I saw it.

It might upset the HP people a bit as they throw around very very high numbers for the HP and torque. Just ignore that and watch the autopilot demo.

2. DougH

DougH Active Member

I could only handle about 20 minutes of that video :frown:

3. dm33

dm33 Member

I thought he made some decent points. Sounded like he didn't know enough about it going in, but the evolution of his thinking was interesting.

He started out thinking it could drive autonomously and was quickly relieved of that belief as he saw the car mis-steer and give up in multiple situations. He asked if it would stop at lights as he's flying up on a light with no hands on the wheel.

After that experience he talks about being more nervous watching it drive than if he were driving.

But eventually they find an expressway, the 405 somewhere, that suited it and he was able to drive for a long time without having to correct it or handle any emergencies. Turned out the most useful scenario was in heavy stop and go traffic on the expressway. Relatively low stress because of slow speeds, but the car took care of much of the mind numbing stop and go.

I do wonder if all drivers have yet gone through a similar learning experience. I do fear that people will get too confident when they see it working and forget about the cases where it doesn't work.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I agree that it is best suited for stop and go traffic. It works like a charm. Personally, I find it easier and less stressful to just steer myself in pretty much every other circumstance. Otherwise, I am watching like a hawk, waiting for an error. And I totally agree that people will trust it too much and fear the backlash when somebody does something stupid, the car can't handle it and whammo! accident. AP is by no means autonomous driving. Either 60 Minutes or Sunday Morning (sorry, can't remember which) had a great piece this last sunday on this. The interview with the head of autonomous driving from Mercedes was quite insightful. The thing that stood out the most for me was his comment that the data points required to drive a car are virtually limitless because humans are not predictable from one situation to the next. We can react quite differently to the same situation based on a myriad of factors.

The single factor that prevents me from trusting AP is its tendency to wander, or wobble a bit when in the lane, wandering a bit left and right. That alone tells me that it is not there yet. But it is a fantastic start.

5. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#5 scottf200, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Have to listen/watch it at 1.25 or 1.50 youtube speed (gear on PC interface).

I thought this was one of the better ones as it describes the UI well. Blue/grey solid/dotted_lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2geQ4hvvkNA

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

if you don't like his style skip to the last half, it calms down and gets more informative and serious as it goes.

7. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

It was long but it is very good showing a complete novice trying out the autopilot. The important thing to note is that the owner prepared him to drive the car very well. He responds in the right way. His viewpoint as a novice is insightful. There are obvious flaws in his knowledge of the car and the company though.

There is 99K views right now. Nerdgasm has 575K followers.

8. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Good point, it's up to 118,755 I was too tired to read the right number last night apparently. :redface:

9. DougH

DougH Active Member

No it was hilarious, his constant nose wiping annoyed me then he put is snotty hands on the wheel. grossed me out.

10. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

I enjoyed the video, and thought he quickly caught on to the essence of AP as the perfection of cruise control. Overall a good and enjoyable review.