Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

good idea or bad idea unbiased opinion please??!1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank You all for the input. I initially ordered the car thinking 40kW will give me about 180- 200 miles, which I thought will be sufficient to drive back and forth to work. I was surprised to hear from the sales person at the time of delivery "it is advisable to charge the battery up to 70% for a better battery life". This brought my range to 139 miles. My round trip to work is about 70 miles and I loose some miles to Vampire drain. I am physician and sometimes I need to turn back to the hospital as soon as I come home. I can potentially come across this situation in a single night. There is no top off facility at my work place and I do not have time to spend at eVgo locations.
Twin charger will give me a faster turn around time even if have to make a quick turn around. I am not planning to take long trips to cities around Houston at this moment. I will definitely consider the longer trips if I pay for the 60kW and given the privilege of using the super charging stations. Here again the twin charger comes handy.

The max charge on a 40 is at about 70% of the 60 capacity. You are already limiting it to 70% by maxing it out. At that max charge, you will get about 140 miles.

Thank You all for the input. I initially ordered the car thinking 40kW will give me about 180- 200 miles, which I thought will be sufficient to drive back and forth to work. I was surprised to hear from the sales person at the time of delivery "it is advisable to charge the battery up to 70% for a better battery life". This brought my range to 139 miles. My round trip to work is about 70 miles and I loose some miles to Vampire drain. I am physician and sometimes I need to turn back to the hospital as soon as I come home. I can potentially come across this situation in a single night. There is no top off facility at my work place and I do not have time to spend at eVgo locations.
Twin charger will give me a faster turn around time even if have to make a quick turn around. I am not planning to take long trips to cities around Houston at this moment. I will definitely consider the longer trips if I pay for the 60kW and given the privilege of using the super charging stations. Here again the twin charger comes handy.

The 40 kWh car was never suppose to get 180-200 miles of range. It was designated as a 160 mile battery pack (driven at a constant 55 mph) from Tesla's original marketing, and I believe that it might be able to achieve 160 miles if you could truly drive at 55 mph on cruise control with no braking. The rated range (based on EPA five cycle testing) is about 138-143 at "full" charge. Full charge for the 40 kWh car is actually charging the 60 kWh battery pack to 72% (the charging limit slider goes from 50-72%). Yes, 72% implies that you are actually using 43.2 kWh of the battery, but that's how they implemented the software limit.

As far as the original question, given your work situation, it does sound like you could use more battery capacity and a second charging unit (if you can install the HPWC at home). That being said, whether paying $11,000 for the battery capacity upgrade and $3,600 for the second charger is better than selling and buying new, I have no idea.

--------------------------

edit: also, don't forget that you still need to buy and install the HPWC regardless of which way you go.

I was surprised to hear from the sales person at the time of delivery "it is advisable to charge the battery up to 70% for a better battery life".

There are many threads about this. IMHO ignore this salesperson; I wonder why he/she was trying to put fear of using your battery like that. From the other threads I've read here, it sounds like the most benefit re. battery protection is simply not doing a max charge, and the benefit from charging 80% is substantially less than that. (That said, I do charge to 80%.) If charging to 70% limits your movement or stresses you, don't do it; charge to 80% (what I do in my 85) or 90% (I'm okay with that, too). Tesla sends mixed signals, and I'm sorry this salesperson made it sound like you shouldn't go over 70%.

(I see other folks mentioning that the max 40 charge is lower; I know less than nothing about that.)

My 40 kWh Model S charges the 60kWh battery to 72%, which gives a rated range of 139 to 141 miles. You can adjust the slidler between 50 and 72%, but I don't see the point to charge lower than 72%. I am frequently able to achieve 160 mile range driving at 60mph, so the rated range does not concern me.

My 40 kWh Model S charges the 60kWh battery to 72%, which gives a rated range of 139 to 141 miles. You can adjust the slidler between 50 and 72%, but I don't see the point to charge lower than 72%. I am frequently able to achieve 160 mile range driving at 60mph, so the rated range does not concern me.

Not to hijack the thread but What terrain are you driving on? I have been thinking of getting 40 or 60 kWh. I will soon have a drive of 141 miles to work at least 3 times per week. Its hilly. I will have at least 5 hrs to charge at a 220 charging station in a nearby parking garage (not sure what amperage) once Im at work. Then have 141 miles to drive back home.

141 mile drive three times a week and you would consider a 40?!? That is crazy. Think cold rainy day and your range is down. Think really hot day with a/c running hard and your range is down. Think accident on hot day and range is down significantly because you are sitting with a/c on. Think battery degradation. Think going out to lunch. etc etc. And don't forget to think that nearby garage charger goes away or is blocked by someone.

I have a vacation home 140 miles away where I could charge at 220V, I go there 10 times a year, there is a supercharger planned at the half way point ... and I don't think I would get any less than an 85.

If you drive 140 miles in our area of the country, I am sure you don't want to drive 55 or even 60. I'd get a 85 so I could drive 80 mph (in a 70 zone) on a day I was in a hurry and not stress about it.

141 mile drive three times a week and you would consider a 40?!? That is crazy. Think cold rainy day and your range is down. Think really hot day with a/c running hard and your range is down. Think accident on hot day and range is down significantly because you are sitting with a/c on. Think battery degradation. Think going out to lunch. etc etc. And don't forget to think that nearby garage charger goes away or is blocked by someone.

I have a vacation home 140 miles away where I could charge at 220V, I go there 10 times a year, there is a supercharger planned at the half way point ... and I don't think I would get any less than an 85.

If you drive 140 miles in our area of the country, I am sure you don't want to drive 55 or even 60. I'd get a 85 so I could drive 80 mph (in a 70 zone) on a day I was in a hurry and not stress about it.

You make very valid points, unfortunately or fortunately an 85 isn't in the cards right now. I would consider the 40 since it could be made a 60 if the 40 didn't cut it, and it would be stretching it in a 40. I wouldn't consider the 40 if it were stuck at 40.

You make very valid points, unfortunately or fortunately an 85 isn't in the cards right now. I would consider the 40 since it could be made a 60 if the 40 didn't cut it, and it would be stretching it in a 40. I wouldn't consider the 40 if it were stuck at 40.
Unless you already have a written statement from Tesla about your vehicle (and I'm pretty sure those ended quite a bit back), the 40 is no longer available. So you should start calibrating your thoughts to "60 is the minimum Tesla is offering".

Not to hijack the thread but What terrain are you driving on? I have been thinking of getting 40 or 60 kWh. I will soon have a drive of 141 miles to work at least 3 times per week. Its hilly. I will have at least 5 hrs to charge at a 220 charging station in a nearby parking garage (not sure what amperage) once Im at work. Then have 141 miles to drive back home.

Is that 141 miles each way or round trip? Would definitely consider 60kWh as a minimum.

Is that 141 miles each way or round trip? Would definitely consider 60kWh as a minimum.

Yeah 141 each way. The 85 is a no brainer. On the super charger map one is coming soon but since they don't give a location till its up you can't really count on it being there.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah 141 each way. The 85 is a no brainer. On the super charger map one is coming soon but since they don't give a location till its up you can't really count on it being there.

Yes 141 one way. The 85 is a easy yes. On the supercharger map one is coming soon but till its up you don't know its actual location.

Unless you already have a written statement from Tesla about your vehicle (and I'm pretty sure those ended quite a bit back), the 40 is no longer available. So you should start calibrating your thoughts to "60 is the minimum Tesla is offering".
Yep. Otherwise, the only other choice for a new 40 kwh EV is the "poor man's Tesla", the CA compliance car Rav4 EV. Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - Toyota Rav4 EV Forum for the Rav4 Electric Vehicle has loads of info, including a legendary saleswoman who's sold a bunch to people outside CA.

I have read a little about the Rav4EV but I don't think its for me, I dislike SUVs, now my wife had a Rav4 and she loved it, so it might be in the cards for her. Right now my LEAF works fine, but in a about 3 weeks to a month I'll be making the 141 mile trip (one way). Ill have to use my 05 Prius (with 225k miles) till I decide what to do.

I have read a little about the Rav4EV but I don't think its for me, I dislike SUVs, now my wife had a Rav4 and she loved it, so it might be in the cards for her. Right now my LEAF works fine, but in a about 3 weeks to a month I'll be making the 141 mile trip (one way). Ill have to use my 05 Prius (with 225k miles) till I decide what to do.

Really not a lot to decide. Get a Tesla S--period. At least get an 85, and you will be set--100 electric, no worries about distance, 100x better looking than Leaf (no offense of course), dump the Prius and go electric...