Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Idea?....PPF partial wrap now, partial later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery in December of 2020 LR but couldnt take it home because it needed body shop work due to paint defects. I was planning to drive it directly to detail shop for full PPF.

However, the car finally came back to the DC after 2 weeks and the 2 passenger doors as well as trunk had a resprayed. I was told to wait about 3 months to let the paint cure before PPF wrapping it.

I called my detailed shop and told them whether I should wait to do the full job or do partial now, then do the doors and trunk after 3 months. I was encouraged to do the partial now to ensure I'm protected from rock chips and other crap that could happen in the 3 months.

I told them my concern about how the uncovered paint vs the wrapped paint might look in comparison to each other in 3 months, and was reassured that since my car is still very new, no discoloration will happen.

What's your guys opinion? Just need some other opinions before I pull the trigger in a couple days when the car is picked up.

I would wait a minimum of one month prior to apply any PPF. Thats what we are currently doing for our Model 3 (although it has not been resprayed). Many people here will tell you otherwise, but any good shop will say to wait to allow the paint to cure, ESPECIALLY when a respray is involved. Even with the advances in car paint and heating, the paint will still be curing.

I also am located in SD, luckily rocks aren't that major of a concern down here (I'm from Phoenix, absolutely nothing here compared to it. Just keep your distance on highways and construction areas and should be fine. Have yet to get a chip on ours.

I told them my concern about how the uncovered paint vs the wrapped paint might look in comparison to each other in 3 months, and was reassured that since my car is still very new, no discoloration will happen.

Almost half of my car was re-sprayed for paint defects also. The Tesla Approved Body Shop told me a 30 day wait prior to PPF installation was sufficient for their re-sprays.

As for the rate of paint fade, a PPF installer I used in the past told me since the PPF was optically clear, the paint would fade at the same rate. I currently have 2 cars that still have partial PPF - a Yellow Acura NSX and a Blue Chevy Volt. Both of them have had their PPF on for at least 4 years. The paint color looks the same to me whether covered by PPF or not...

You could also contact the specific PPF company your installer uses and them also.

Reactions: 6thDAY
I would wait a minimum of one month prior to apply any PPF.

You're saying to wait at least 30 days to PPF the "whole" car or just the "re-sprayed" area?

I'm definitely waiting 90 days per recommendation from the owner of the body shop.

Maybe I missed what you were saying but my question was more related to if I should wait until the paint cures to completely PPF the car, or just do a partial PPF of the un-sprayed areas, then do the remaining PPF once the re-sprayed cured.

FYI, I'm going for clear XPEL, not stealth.

As for the rate of paint fade, a PPF installer I used in the past told me since the PPF was optically clear, the paint would fade at the same rate. I currently have 2 cars that still have partial PPF - a Yellow Acura NSX and a Blue Chevy Volt. Both of them have had their PPF on for at least 4 years. The paint color looks the same to me whether covered by PPF or not...

Cool, that's what I was looking to find out. Thanks!

What's your guys opinion? Just need some other opinions before I pull the trigger in a couple days when the car is picked up.

If it was mine I would definitely do the front ASAP. I got two very small stone chips on the front bumper in the 1200kms before my PPF appointment. You could do the front bumper, hood, headlights and fog lights for now and the rest later.

Reactions: 6thDAY
If it was mine I would definitely do the front ASAP. I got two very small stone chips on the front bumper in the 1200kms before my PPF appointment. You could do the front bumper, hood, headlights and fog lights for now and the rest later.

As mentioned by jkoya, you don't think there's a tan line issue with the re-sprayed areas once I do decide to PPF those?

As mentioned by jkoya, you don't think there's a tan line issue with the re-sprayed areas once I do decide to PPF those?

You mentioned you are going with Xpel. Xpel has a very responsive Customer Service Department and will quickly reply to your questions. They are also active on this forum and you can ask them your question about the rate of paint fade of panels covered by Xpel as opposed to panels not covered by Xpel. You can start a conversation with @XPEL

When you mention "tan line", does this mean you will have a panel that is only partially covered ?

You mentioned you are going with Xpel. Xpel has a very responsive Customer Service Department and will quickly reply to your questions. They are also active on this forum and you can ask them your question about the rate of paint fade of panels covered by Xpel as opposed to panels not covered by Xpel. You can start a conversation with @XPEL

When you mention "tan line", does this mean you will have a panel that is only partially covered ?

Apologies, wasn't clear. Since the right passenger doors and trunk are re-sprayed, I was concern it will have a darker color then the XPEL covered areas once I get it wrapped in 3 months since those areas will be directly exposed to the sun, i.e. "tan lines".