Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good lug nuts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to find a set of short lug nuts <40mm but I can only find $20-$30 nuts on amazon. I worry if they’re good enough. Where can I find good lug nuts that are less than $200 and not completely terrible? How do I tell which lug nuts are good? Is it the material?

Stock is stainless steel designed for high torque. Most of aftermarket is garbage made out of aluminium or soft brass.

Reliability of titanium nuts on stock studs is also questionable since it will have galvanic corrosion on studs and they will seize or you would lubricate them as advised online and they will unscrew themselves very quickly.

Keep stock lug nuts.

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3 and Kimmi
When I changed wheels (removed and sold the original 21" Turbines, replaced with 19" Slipstreams and eventually the original forged 21" Arachnids) on my Model S, I used a set of the chrome Gorilla lugs sold by EVannex.

They're compatible with all Tesla vehicles and felt like they were good quality. I never took an impact wrench to them, however.

When I changed wheels (removed and sold the original 21" Turbines, replaced with 19" Slipstreams and eventually the original forged 21" Arachnids) on my Model S, I used a set of the chrome Gorilla lugs sold by EVannex.

They're compatible with all Tesla vehicles and felt like they were good quality. I never took an impact wrench to them, however.
I've had good luck with these lug nuts as well ( hate having to r and r the plastic chrome covers ). Tesla service manual says no impact wrenches so I quick using it after reading that.

FWIW I am running two sets of these, one on my Model 3 which is tracked often and the other on my wife's Model Y.

So far, so good. Been over a year now on both.

Reactions: DFW_MVP
Gorilla and McGard spline drive lugs are both decent quality lugs that are carried at many local wheel and tire stores. Our thread pitch is the same as many SUV's so you are only going to find longer closed end lugs. Gorilla does make an open end shorter 14x1.5 spline drive as well. The closed end mcgard and gorilla spline drives are going to be 1.9 to 2 inches long.

Reactions: Andy Do
Gorilla and McGard spline drive lugs are both decent quality lugs that are carried at many local wheel and tire stores. Our thread pitch is the same as many SUV's so you are only going to find longer closed end lugs. Gorilla does make an open end shorter 14x1.5 spline drive as well. The closed end mcgard and gorilla spline drives are going to be 1.9 to 2 inches long.
Will something like this work? (20) Gorilla Lug Nuts, 14mm x 1.50, Black, Bulge Acorn, 13/16" Hex 21mm, 91148BC | eBay

I was looking before and got a set of these on right now
TC Sportline WH-LN1415138BK20, 20 pcs Black Bulge Acorn Wheel Lug Nuts 14x1.5 Closed End 1.38" Tall 3/4" Hex https://a.co/9DWRaR5 I wasn’t sure of their quality so I’m looking to replace them.

I’m mainly looking for a set that’s black and shorter than 1.5 in

I’ve fiddled around with a lot of cheap lug nuts and never encountered aluminum that wasn’t clearly advertised as such, or any brass at all. On my M3P I’ve removed and reinstalled my $20/set lug nuts at least a dozen times and they still start smoothly, spin on and off smoothly by hand, torque smoothly, and haven’t transferred any material. It really isn’t difficult to make reasonably-hard steel fasteners.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it.

But then again, maybe I’m just too chill about such things. I’ve also got close to 200k miles between several vehicles running lug-centric wheels, including lots of aggressive off-roading, which would give some folks a heart attack.

Here are the pages in the service manual that I printed so I wouldn't have to buy them the next time that I needed them. As you know the online manual can change at any time so I have no idea what information is in it now. The succeeding pages say not tighten the lug nuts with an impact wrench but is standard procedure for any car.

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: tm1v2