TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Good news: software update 2018.32.2 solves nearly all bugs introduced in 2018.28.1

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by aikisteve, Aug 24, 2018.

1. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Put the latest updates through its paces today and I am a happy camper in the sense that it solves nearly all issues I had with the previous update. Check it out here:

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. calace01

calace01 Member

Thanks for the explaining details on the updates!

• Like x 1
  3. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

@aikisteve thanks for the update! It's awesome to have someone testing each update on a consistent test track.

Have you noticed any improvement on the behavior where AP tries to always center in the "wide lane" in situations where it should be keeping to the left? This is my major gripe right now driving on the highway it will swerve quite a bit from right to left when approaching an exit lane entry where there's really 2 lanes without the white lines yet. This is made worse when there's a big truck in front of me and it can't see the lane lines ahead.

4. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

I guess you mean where the road splits into 2 lanes? Haven't tested that yet. Had mixed results before with this.
    When center lane dividers disappear, the car keeps right as it should and it displays the lane at the appropriate width of a dingle small lane. But that's another situation, of course.

5. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

I'm attaching an example. What happens is the exit lanes will open up before there's a dotted line and if there's a car, truck or semi in front of me (Or it just feels like it), AutoPilot will swerve into the center of what it thinks is a new super wide lane.

Attached Files:

6. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Yep, that's what I meant by a lane split. Noticed that on 24.1 when we were in Denmark, that it hunted for the center. Unfortunately, in Belgium there are very few places where this situation occurs. Will see if I can find one in the area, but usually we have the lane split from one side and the dotted lines travel straight on, so no "wide lane" effect there.

• Like x 1
  7. Tesomega

Tesomega Member

I had this problem pretty much the whole entire stretch of I-25S driving towards Devner, Colarado during my roadtrip.

8. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

I am still trying to figure out how the white sign with a Red Cross through it means 70 km/h? Where are the numbers?

9. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

@aikisteve Did you notice if it still freaks out when people turn left in front of you to turn onto another road when everything should be fine? That makes it pretty worthless on some roads for me currently.

10. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

As I mention in the video, this is pretty ok now. Brakes a bit too hard and waits a bit too long before overtaking that car. But it's better than some updates ago. Still needs improving though. It's being overly cautious at the moment

11. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Welcome to my country. Default speed outside of city center is 70kph. City center is 50kph. White rectangle with name of city in it leans city center. Red stripe through it, means end of center, so you can drive faster again

• Informative x 1
  12. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

Sorry, I mean the scenario where the car is coming from the opposite lane toward you and turns left in front of your car across your lane. Didn't think I saw that in your video but was hoping you might have encountered it since the update.

13. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I haven't had a chance to watch the video, but did it fix the traffic tiles not updating, requiring traffic to be disabled/enabled to show the correct traffic data?

14. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

Yep that's covered in the video.

• Like x 1
  15. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Not yet
    Ah, now I see what you mean. Occasionally, it doesn't care about that. But sometimes it slams on the brakes, where in reality the car would be gone by the time you arrive at that spot. But here also, I'm guessing the car takes it on the safe side.
    The problem is that for now (and I think for a long time still) the car can only react to a given situation. As humans we are very good at predicting paths of moving objects. But I don't think the AI is that far yet. It's still a bunch of algorithms that go through a neural net for image recognition. I don't believe there is any path prediction in the car yet.

16. Geisha31

Geisha31 Member

Brilliant work sir

• Love x 1
  17. Barry

Barry Active Member

In another thread, someone posted that .32 broke voice recognition.

• Informative x 1
  18. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Just verified and voice commands are working perfectly for me. Voice navigation and music search work without a glitch...

• Informative x 1
  19. ORB

ORB Member

And nav traffic info still updates in real time?
    Oliver

20. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Yes, That was covered in the video.