Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good news: software update 2018.32.2 solves nearly all bugs introduced in 2018.28.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@aikisteve thanks for the update! It's awesome to have someone testing each update on a consistent test track.

Have you noticed any improvement on the behavior where AP tries to always center in the "wide lane" in situations where it should be keeping to the left? This is my major gripe right now driving on the highway it will swerve quite a bit from right to left when approaching an exit lane entry where there's really 2 lanes without the white lines yet. This is made worse when there's a big truck in front of me and it can't see the lane lines ahead.

@aikisteve thanks for the update! It's awesome to have someone testing each update on a consistent test track.

Have you noticed any improvement on the behavior where AP tries to always center in the "wide lane" in situations where it should be keeping to the left? This is my major gripe right now driving on the highway it will swerve quite a bit from right to left when approaching an exit lane entry where there's really 2 lanes without the white lines yet. This is made worse when there's a big truck in front of me and it can't see the lane lines ahead.

I guess you mean where the road splits into 2 lanes? Haven't tested that yet. Had mixed results before with this.
When center lane dividers disappear, the car keeps right as it should and it displays the lane at the appropriate width of a dingle small lane. But that's another situation, of course.

I guess you mean where the road splits into 2 lanes? Haven't tested that yet. Had mixed results before with this.
When center lane dividers disappear, the car keeps right as it should and it displays the lane at the appropriate width of a dingle small lane. But that's another situation, of course.

I'm attaching an example. What happens is the exit lanes will open up before there's a dotted line and if there's a car, truck or semi in front of me (Or it just feels like it), AutoPilot will swerve into the center of what it thinks is a new super wide lane.

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 137
I'm attaching an example. What happens is the exit lanes will open up before there's a dotted line and if there's a car, truck or semi in front of me (Or it just feels like it), AutoPilot will swerve into the center of what it thinks is a new super wide lane.

Yep, that's what I meant by a lane split. Noticed that on 24.1 when we were in Denmark, that it hunted for the center. Unfortunately, in Belgium there are very few places where this situation occurs. Will see if I can find one in the area, but usually we have the lane split from one side and the dotted lines travel straight on, so no "wide lane" effect there.

Reactions: PhaseWhite

I had this problem pretty much the whole entire stretch of I-25S driving towards Devner, Colarado during my roadtrip.

@aikisteve Did you notice if it still freaks out when people turn left in front of you to turn onto another road when everything should be fine? That makes it pretty worthless on some roads for me currently.
As I mention in the video, this is pretty ok now. Brakes a bit too hard and waits a bit too long before overtaking that car. But it's better than some updates ago. Still needs improving though. It's being overly cautious at the moment

As I mention in the video, this is pretty ok now. Brakes a bit too hard and waits a bit too long before overtaking that car. But it's better than some updates ago. Still needs improving though. It's being overly cautious at the moment

Sorry, I mean the scenario where the car is coming from the opposite lane toward you and turns left in front of your car across your lane. Didn't think I saw that in your video but was hoping you might have encountered it since the update.

Not yet
Sorry, I mean the scenario where the car is coming from the opposite lane toward you and turns left in front of your car across your lane. Didn't think I saw that in your video but was hoping you might have encountered it since the update.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Occasionally, it doesn't care about that. But sometimes it slams on the brakes, where in reality the car would be gone by the time you arrive at that spot. But here also, I'm guessing the car takes it on the safe side.
The problem is that for now (and I think for a long time still) the car can only react to a given situation. As humans we are very good at predicting paths of moving objects. But I don't think the AI is that far yet. It's still a bunch of algorithms that go through a neural net for image recognition. I don't believe there is any path prediction in the car yet.