Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good portable air compressor for the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my hat in the ring:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTGM2LD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71mDhTAXVOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hey guys/gals,

The Model 3's 12v cigarette port is only rated at 12 amps continuous use, and it seems that alot of the portable air compressors requires 15 amps. I don't want to deal with broken fuses, what do you guys use that would work well with the Model 3? Thanks all.
I would recommend using a GSPSCN Two Cylinders 12V Air Compressor Pump

• Heavy Duty Double cylinder design,
  • maximum pressure 150PSI,
  • air flow 70L/min,
  • inflates standard vehicle tire in 1.5 minutes (200/70/R16, 0-35psi)

618B2AIxrBL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

You should also watch the following videos:

Last edited:
Both of those units seems to require 25A so it shouldn't be plugged into the 12V cigarette lighter socket in the Model 3. Attaching directly to the 12V battery is probably okay but that's still a lot of juice.

I went for DEWALT DCC020IB 20V Max Inflator. While it does plug into a cigarette lighter port, is also will take the DeWalt 20V batteries, which I already have a number of. This unit was well rated by Consumer Reports.

I got the same thing, for the same reasons. I have an extra battery that I can put in the trunk if needed, and it’s nice to be able to use the cigarette lighter if needed.

I also have a Dynaplug tire repair kit in the event that I need to patch a tire.

One of these days, I need to find a case that will fit the above plus some tools that fits in the under trunk compartment.

The Ryobi is battery powered and has been very reliable for me. I tried two other models that plug into the cigarette adapter and both blew a circuit. It’s a great price at Home Depot, although you do need to buy a battery and charger separately if you don’t already have another Ryobi cordless tool.

RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Dual Function Inflator/Deflator (Tool Only)-P747 - The Home Depot
I have this one also and I'm really quite pleased with it.

One thing to note though, which I think is true to varying degrees with all of these small portable inflators: they overheat after ~ 5 minutes of continuous use. That makes them good devices to keep tyres inflated, but not so great as a device to pump up a flat tyre.