TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Good price to buy used?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bartekr, Aug 11, 2018.

1. bartekr

bartekr Member

How much would you pay for a used model 3 with 10k miles? (Original spec cost was $60k)

• Love x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

You are in CA and eligible if new car for 2500 rebate also assuming u owe taxes u would get the 7500 credit both not available for u on used ...most I would pay for used with 10k is 44k max

• Like x 1
  3. bartekr

bartekr Member

It has gen 1 sears and horrible gen 1 suspension though. What discount to apply to these warts?

• Disagree x 1
  4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Ok so it’s lower VIN ? I don’t think a seller would necessarily discount for that ..the nuances of the parts is something only a person with detailed knowledge (ie reads forums ;)) would know ...the car is still a 2018 car ..given a highly optioned rwd can get for ~55k with zero mile and eligible for both rebates ..A used vehicle with miles is probably in that range of 42-44 that u should value at

• Love x 1
  5. boriszima

boriszima Member

Cost of brand new, minus Federal rebate and State, minus 20% or so. why are you asking? somebody wants to sell their RWD and get AWD?

• Love x 1
  6. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I'd take a used LR Model 3 for 42-44 over hanging on hope for the 35K SR Model 3 easy.

Hope too many people don't realize this, which would make it more difficult to find a deal. :)

• Like x 4
  7. golfpilot

golfpilot Member

#7 golfpilot, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Given new, I get $7500 from Feds, $2500 from State, and $3000 from county. I wouldn't even consider used unless it was priced at $47,000 - milage (around .30 a mile) - unusual wear. so your car thats 44k. Mind you, that is where I think it is dead equivelant to a new one, anything wrong with it from there takes it down.

Now when the credit goes away, used ones are instantly going to become slightly more attractive to people. And I am also aware very few other people have $3000 local incentives making me even less likely to buy used.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

The gen 1 suspension can be replaced by Tesla for free (I had mine done). I have the gen 1 seats, they don’t bother me, I am guessing that might come down to personal preference just like the various seat options in the Model S. I wouldn’t discount for the seats as the seller because of that.

Does it have alcantara headliner? That might be a bonus and worth a bit more to some buyers.

• Like x 3
  9. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

I had an early VIN, perhaps later than your 'strong' comment - the seats were great, up front at least, and that car rode just fine

As mentioned, Tesla will replace some parts - but perhaps consider how you presented your 'facts' next time?

• Like x 1
  10. SWMONTY

SWMONTY Member

I ordered a Model 3 about 2 weeks ago (estimated delivery 1-3 months). With autopilot and tax I will be about $60K, less the $7.5K rebate.

I looked at a couple used Model 3's, some with as little as 1k miles (the guy wanted to upgrade to the performance version).

Asking price... $50-60K. Yep, pay full retail, including tax and don't get the rebate.

I would have spent $45K, maybe $50K on one in great condition. I was willing to pay nearly full retail (including tax and delivery fee), less the rebate for a "used" model 3.

When the wait gets down to less then a month, and there is not a rebate, I would guess these will settle down to normal depreciation. But then, you will be able to buy a $35K Model 3 so a buyer will have a similar option as we do today with used Model S or new Model 3 for about the same amount.

BTW, this is in Phoenix, no state or count rebate. And all of these cars are still listed on Craigslist, so they have not found a buyer yet.

• Informative x 1
  11. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Back in the day, there was a federal tax credit for hybrid vehicles, more in the $2-3000 range but similar proportion to the price of the car. When it began to phase out, we didn't see a big sudden jump in used car prices.

I think there are just enough people out there who have wealth but don't qualify for the full tax credits, ie. retirees, to temper out the used market when the used supply is fairly thin as it is now.

So I don't think there will be a big $7000 jump come Jan 1, more likely the used prices won't fall as fast over the next year or two....so agree strongly with "slightly"

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. bartekr

bartekr Member

Yea

13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Offer 44 see what they say ;)

14. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

The 7500 auto-magic-deduction only reduces the buyer pool to those that can't get that discount anyway ... good luck

• Like x 1
  15. paranoidroid

paranoidroid Member

Where is this $3000 county incentive from? I live in SF Bay Area like you and haven't heard of this..

16. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

That’s because u missed by 2 years ;)...no more $$$

17. golfpilot

golfpilot Member

I am moving to the central valley. Drive Clean in the San Joaquin | Rebate