Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good security system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be a rare question, but wondering if anybody has put an after market alarm system on their Model S. My car got broken into this afternoon and the car's alarm didnt even go off. I was under the impression that the car has an alarm system. Apparently, if somebody breaks your window and doesn't open the door, the alarm doesn't go off and you don't get any notifications. So, with that being said I am now looking for putting an after market alarm system in my car. Does anybody have any recommendations in NOVA area for somebody who has done that on a Model S or of a good system?
I had front and rear camera installed, so I at least know what this individual looks like and will be giving that to the detective tomorrow.

Thanks for any input!

Are you certain it was broken into? Was anything taken? My reason for asking is an associate's car had a window spontaneously shatter a few months ago. We were certain someone had vandalized the car but upon reviewing the security camera it was determined no one ever touched the car. Just some food for thought to perhaps put your mind at ease regarding this.

Just something to check before you go through a lot of time and expense - are you sure the alarm was turned on? It's not an automatic thing like in many cars. There's a setting to turn it on in the control panel.

Unfortunately I don't think an alarm would have saved your computer. That's the downside of the open center section. I put valuables in the frunk or the rear footwell.

Sorry to hear about the theft. Unfortunately, people will seemingly steal anything, especially electronics.

In looking at the owner's manual, it appears that the alarm only applies when doors or the trunk are opened when the system is armed. As such, it seem unlikely that broken glass won't set off the alarm, but you should ask the Service Center just to make sure.

I've never had an alarm installed, so I don't have a ready recommendation. I have, however, seen this group's name come up a number of times over the years. Safe and Sound | Manassas 20109 and Chantilly 20151 Car Audio Video Remote Start Installation

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I talked to the service center yesterday and today when I dropped off the car for repairs. The alarm will only go off, if the car is locked and the door is somehow opened. So, if a window is broken and door not opened, the alarm won't go off.
So, now i am looking for an after market alarm system that will work even with windows breaking.

... my laptop bag was stolen. I had cameras mounted on front and back and got a pretty good picture of the person who did it and ran away with it. :(

Was it visible? I find that hiding things is much better than an alarm since by the time the smash and grab occurs, even with an alarm, it's too late. Alarms usually don't deter thieves when they can easily see what they want. Good thing that your cameras caught him. The problem with that, however, is that even if they do catch the culprit, our Courts let them out with just a slap on the wrists and it's highly unlikely you will get your stuff back. It will have been traded for drugs. We have many repeat offenders that commit most of the B&E's but our Court system is just a revolving door. Hopefully, the Courts are more severe on these types of crimes in your neck of the woods.

@swegman... thats exactly what I am looking for also. Just a sensor for windows.. but haven't found that by itself.
@Canuck.. I agree with you completely. DC courts and cops are horrible with that as well. It wasn't clearly visible.. it was on the floor behind driver seat. The thing is .. i was 20 feet away from the car.. so if the alarm had gone off.. I would have been able to catch him.
Called 911 once and it took 20 mins for the cops to show up... AFTER 3 of them passed me!! A person who robbed at gunpoint.. caught 2 days later got released from the jail within 1 week!! Gotta love the court systems!!