Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good snow in Chicago today, can you share your driving experiences in it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
snow today in chicago

tesla in snow.jpg
Title says it all. I am awaiting delivery and just curious how it was in this snow.

Thanks in advance.

Coincidentally, I took the above picture of my MS tonight in the lot where I leave it adjacent to the Metra Station. I had been debating putting on snow tires, but after the car performed FLAWLESSLY on the unplowed side streets, I now see no reason. I might also add that when leaving the lot I raised my vehicle to "Extra High" (a state to which I often aspire), floating the chassis, unscathed, over the snow drift.

I didn't run into much snow on 355 or 290, but more snow on Rt 83 and the local roads - I had no trouble with those conditions. I do think, however, that a rear wiper would be of benefit....

I didn't run into much snow on 355 or 290, but more snow on Rt 83 and the local roads - I had no trouble with those conditions. I do think, however, that a rear wiper would be of benefit....
A agree about the rear wiper. I have always had one and miss it.

But ...

It's also easier to, in half a second flat, to wipe the rear view camera ... instead of wiping the snow off the rear window. I turned on the rear defrost as well.

So I do not miss the wiper that much!

As for snow ... reversing out of my driveway, up hill, proved a little challenging. After that it was a piece of cake.

I had relatively few problems.

Before leaving from work, I used the android app to set the climate control to 68 degrees about 15 minutes before departure.

When I got in the car, which was in a garage, I turned on the rear defrost.

Wipers: worked ok in the higher auto setting. I had to manually clear the window a few times.

Rear window: no issues with prior climate control and proactive defrost set. No snow accumulation. I have often wondered why there is no wiper there, but I wasn't wishing there was at the moment.

Fogging: no issues. I believe this was due to early climate control.

Driving: most of the major roads were clear. Some of the smaller roads had a fair amount of slush. The car handled well. Only on 90 degree turns did I notice some slipping. No more than my previous FWD Honda. The only problem I encountered was getting into my garage. The alley was not plowed. About 3-4 inches of snow. I have a detached garage with a 4 foot sight incline before getting into the garage. So, basically had to make a 90 degree turn from stop in an unplowed alley into a garage with a short, sight incline. Problems. Traction control warning came on and I didn't budge. Turned TC off and it was a little better. Had to rock the car back and forth with TC off and gun it a little to get into the garage.

The only problem I have at this point is persistent moisture between the door and window. May be just the weather, but I hope there is no accumulation of water there. Will probably call tesla to investigate if it persists for longer.

19 inch wheels. Stock tires.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I took the above picture of my MS tonight in the lot where I leave it adjacent to the Metra Station. I had been debating putting on snow tires, but after the car performed FLAWLESSLY on the unplowed side streets, I now see no reason. I might also add that when leaving the lot I raised my vehicle to "Extra High" (a state to which I often aspire), floating the chassis, unscathed, over the snow drift.

Interesting. I had decided not to get winter tires because I took delivery halfway through the winter and hadn't yet sold the SUV my Model S is replacing. I haven't had any issues when I have driven in the cold and wet, but I had been hesitant to drive on the 21" wheels with performance tires in real snow. Maybe I shouldn't have been such a chicken, as it has been downright painful to go back to driving a clunky ICE after a month with my Tesla.

Drove home early today...

Slushy roads. Back roads and alleys that weren't plowed...

The S did pretty well. Preheated the cabin about 15 minutes prior to leaving and had pretty much full regeneration. NO fogging, and it was on "auto" the whole time. No rear defrost issues.

The car took turns without swerving. I was also able to hold the S on a hill at a stop light with sight throttle depression. No TC indication.

Only had the TC warning when trying to get into my garage from the alley, which wasn't plowed at all and had about 4-5 inches of accumulation.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Last edited:
We got about 8" of snow where I live. Our marvelous municipality didn't send the plows out until well into the storm. Most of my driving is done on flat, city roads, but the last part is a very hilly country road that is very rarely plowed. I saw three vehicles in ditches on the way home. The Model S did remarkably well, equal if not better than my AWD Infiniti G37x. Traction control blipped on a few times during the drive, but I wouldn't have noticed unless I saw the icon light up on the dash. I thrashed the car pretty good once I got to my street, and even then, I was unable to really make the car do anything it shouldn't be doing. I did not disable traction control. Raising the suspension to Very High glided me over the sizable drifts in my driveway. I have the stock 19" non-studded snow tires. Honestly, I cannot for the life of me figure out what all the Canadians were complaining about last year :biggrin:

I will say that I had a bit of surreal experience on the drive. Most of the time, the roads are clogged with cars, but tonight, I guess everyone went home early. When I got to the country road, there wasn't a car to be found. I was going about 30 mph, but riding on a layer of snow made everything unrealistically quiet. Gliding along in a snow storm up and down hills in virtual silence was, to be honest, a little creepy. Luckily, the stereo goes to 11...

We had about 5" accumulated when I drove home today. Major roads were just sloppy, side streets had some snow, but no issues. My cul-de-sac is the real test since it is on a hill right after a turn, unplowed. Made it up with no problems, up the driveway (slight incline), and into the garage. The driveway was deep enough and had some drifting to where the car actually bottomed out! :eek: I have the winter package with 19" wheels and snow tires.

We got about 8" of snow where I live. Our marvelous municipality didn't send the plows out until well into the storm. Most of my driving is done on flat, city roads, but the last part is a very hilly country road that is very rarely plowed. I saw three vehicles in ditches on the way home. The Model S did remarkably well, equal if not better than my AWD Infiniti G37x. Traction control blipped on a few times during the drive, but I wouldn't have noticed unless I saw the icon light up on the dash. I thrashed the car pretty good once I got to my street, and even then, I was unable to really make the car do anything it shouldn't be doing. I did not disable traction control. Raising the suspension to Very High glided me over the sizable drifts in my driveway. I have the stock 19" non-studded snow tires. Honestly, I cannot for the life of me figure out what all the Canadians were complaining about last year :biggrin:

I'm Canadian and traded my G37xS for a Model S. The Model S is usually pretty competent in snow, but the G definitely has the edge. If you just get snow on top of dry pavement the S does just fine. But this year we've had several days where we ended up with glare ice covered in snow, and the S did have some trouble with that! On days like that the AWD really does help. If Tesla ever offered an AWD upgrade for my S I would be very tempted to get it.

I had been debating putting on snow tires, but after the car performed FLAWLESSLY on the unplowed side streets, I now see no reason.

I cannot stress how important it is from a safety perspective to put on winter tires in the great lakes region.

We bought Nokian R2's and had them on for the past few months. The traction control on the Tesla is excellent, but there is no solution for braking distance when on non-winter tires, it just takes longer to brake. All wheel drive is of no help in braking either.

You've been advised...

I nearly lost my life last year (in a different car) when the braking distance increased dramatically on a very cold winter evening. No snow on the road, just -28C and windy, causing the tires and road to lose grip equally. I upgraded to winter tires/rims this year on that car too. Safety first.