Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good users guide link with battery discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
http://nickjhowe.com/tesla/modelsguide.html

I though people here would be interested in this Tesla Model S buyers guide that was posted in another forum. It has some good info, particularly regarding the battery.

They show that the real kilo wattage available is considerably less that advertised.

image.jpg

From this diagram with a usage of 3.2kw/mile you'd end up with a 210 mile/390km range with the 85. Charging to 90% gives you 189miles/350km practical range.

Extending this to the 60kwh battery, my guess would be 60-3(bricking protection)-5.1(zero mile protection) = 51.9kwh useful charge. This would be 162mile/300 km range in idea conditions and 145miles/270 km practical range.

Then you can take off degradation after a year or 2. This could easily reduce the range to 300 km or 230km depending on the battery.

I'd be interested in comments on the above.

I believe those numbers are speculation and Tesla had made no official acknowledgement on how much kW they use at the top and bottom. AFAIK that pic does a very good job explaining the concept but none of us know for sure what the actual numbers are.

Given that a drive all the way around Hong Kong (south of the Island, to airport, back to Yuen Long, along the top past Tai Po to Sai Kung, and then back to central) is around 200km, so long as you can charge either at home or the office, I would not worry about it. 60kWh is fine (excluding performance enhancements of the 85kWh pack). A couple of years ago, a dozen roadsters (with 53kWh packs) rally'd that drive in range mode, and used about 1/2 our battery ranges.

Bottom line: if you can't charge at home or the office, then make sure you can find somewhere with a reasonably fast charger (not 13A) and get the 85kWh pack.

I'm looking for the similar battery caracterization for a 60 kWh battery.

Following one of the software upgrade during the fall, my Rated Range charge went from 334km (208 miles) to around 310 km (193 miles) with my 60 kWh. The diagram above would explain where the kWh are gone. However, my math is different than what Lerxt is mentioning above and doesn't compute with the 310 km I get these days. Can somebody share some lights?

My math:

6 kWh for a range charge that's 10% (33 km or 21 miles)
3.6 kWh de zero mile protection (20 km or 12 miles) => prorating the 60 vs 85 from 5.1 kWh
2.8 kWh de bricking protection => prorating the 60 vs 85 from 3.9 kWh
leaving 47.6 kWh for normal driving (90% = 265 km or 165 miles)

A range charg, according to this math would equal to 265 km + 33 km = 298 km, missing 12 km. It might be that the bricking protection or zero mile protection are lower...