Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See lots of well informed perspective on this thread, so throwing this out for input. Does this Model S represent a good value? Desired features for me are rear-facing seats, large battery size, sun/glass roof, sub-zero package, 19” rims, autopilot, grey/black/silver exterior and black interior.

Spoke with Tesla service and they noted that the car has been in for service a few times, with no repairs that would provide reason for concern. Also got the Monroney sticker from Tesla (attached below). In-Service Date 11/2015.

Thank you for any opinions!

Used 2015 Tesla Model S For Sale ($71,480) | Vroom

Attachments

• MS 90D_071315.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
Buy from a private party.... you only get 4 years warranty on a CPO and the prices are inflated beyond belief at this point.

A private party give you the remainder of the original warranty plus the opportunity to add 4 more years beyond that.

Reactions: P85Dave
Your response is a bit vague but, under some circumstances, not true. If you buy your car from a third-party dealer then you are no longer eligible to purchase the extended warranty:

"Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement."

Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

I just went through this with Tesla, because Tesla (corporate and the geniuses at the local service centers) had two entirely different answers as to whether a second-owner who purchased a car from an original owner could then purchase the ESA.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I called Tesla and gave them two VIN's and told them that one was private party and one was at dealership and asked if I could buy an extended warranty on either and I was told yes. They said that any owner can purchase a warranty as long as the car is eligable and I was not a dealer. I would recommend calling your local service center though. Seems to be wish washy info out there.

"AS LONG AS THE CAR IS ELIGIBLE" THAT'S the crucial part of your post. The Tesla guy didn't confirm you could by the ESA on the dealership, he confirmed you could purchase the ESA "AS LONG AS THE CAR IS ELIGIBLE!"

These are your own words. The dealership car IS NOT ELIGIBLE.

I just posted the language from the Tesla site. These are the actual legal terms and conditions that govern the ESA. If if one were to purchase a car from a dealer and try to purchase the ESA, they would be denied.

I agree about the private party purchase. The express language of the ESA makes it clear that a second (or third, etc) owner that purchased from an original owner is eligible to purchase the ESA. Further, the exclusions for third-party dealers bolster that fact.

After reading the Agreement, I called up corporate Tesla, got a guy to agree with me and then (here's the important part), got him to send it to me IN WRITING. Now I have an e-mail that says a second owner can purchase the ESA within the eligible time period.

So, the moral of the story is:

YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR AN ESA IF YOU BUY FROM A DEALER.

• Informative
"AS LONG AS THE CAR IS ELIGIBLE" THAT'S the crucial part of your post. The Tesla guy didn't confirm you could by the ESA on the dealership, he confirmed you could purchase the ESA "AS LONG AS THE CAR IS ELIGIBLE!"

These are your own words. The dealership car IS NOT ELIGIBLE.

I just posted the language from the Tesla site. These are the actual legal terms and conditions that govern the ESA. If if one were to purchase a car from a dealer and try to purchase the ESA, they would be denied.

I agree about the private party purchase. The express language of the ESA makes it clear that a second (or third, etc) owner that purchased from an original owner is eligible to purchase the ESA. Further, the exclusions for third-party dealers bolster that fact.

After reading the Agreement, I called up corporate Tesla, got a guy to agree with me and then (here's the important part), got him to send it to me IN WRITING. Now I have an e-mail that says a second owner can purchase the ESA within the eligible time period.

So, the moral of the story is:

YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR AN ESA IF YOU BUY FROM A DEALER.

Dude you need to relax. If you buy a car from a private party or a dealership once you own it's your car. To be eligible it has to be within 30 days or 1000 miles of the warranty ending. It's pretty straight forward. If you would like to ague the facts, please do by calling the Portland service center. And calm down.

Buddy, if you can't read the actual language that I posted above (with a link to the Tesla website) then you can't read. Not my problem.

Which part of "Owners (EXCLUDING 3rd party dealers AND VEHICLES PURCHASED FROM A 3RD PARTY DEALER) is so difficult for you to understand?

You're 100% wrong, period. Don't tell me to relax as a cure for your own deficiencies. Move along, pal.

Any owner can buy a warranty from Tesla, dealerships cannot. I just went through this with Tesla.

Tesla's position has been if a car's ownership records ever touch a dealer, they will no longer allow an ESA to be bought for that car. So @Evil Twin is right.

Unless Tesla has changed this policy, the ESA non-eligibility will keep me from ever considering buying a used Tesla from a dealer. You don't want to own a Tesla out of warranty if you can't handle the possibility of crazy expensive repairs.

OP: I would not buy that car from a dealer, and certainly not at that price because you will be out of warranty coverage in about a year with no way to extend it. Buy private party with the ESA or hold off on buying a CPO car because the CPO cars are way overpriced at the moment.

If you are still okay with buying from a dealer, look at Cars.com and you will see 85D starting at the late 50s.

Reactions: Evil Twin
Sorry OP for this thread getting out of hand.

I just emailed Tesla...here is the response that I got. I was correct, however I would suggest any one to call their local service center.

I had received confirmation that, yes, you can buy an extended warranty as a second owner… at the Portland location. ;)

I’ll keep you posted on vehicles at this email address! Thank you!

-S**********

Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2018 3:40 PM
To: ***********@tesla.com>
Subject:

Hi S*********,

Here is my email, thanks.

G****.

Sorry OP for this thread getting out of hand.

I just emailed Tesla...here is the response that I got. I was correct, however I would suggest any one to call their local service center.

I had received confirmation that, yes, you can buy an extended warranty as a second owner… at the Portland location. ;)

I’ll keep you posted on vehicles at this email address! Thank you!

-S**********

Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2018 3:40 PM
To: ***********@tesla.com>
Subject:

Hi S*********,

Here is my email, thanks.

G****.
We all agree that you can get an ESA if you're a second owner, SO LONG AS YOU GOT IT FROM AN ORIGINAL OWNER.

Where you continue to be wrong is your assertion that you can get an ESA if you acquire your car from a THIRD-PARTY DEALER (Tesla is a FIRST-PARTY dealer, FYI).

Go ahead and mail the Portland Service Center the following:

"I would like to buy an ESA on a car I purchased from a local used car lot"

See what answer you get.....

Evil Twin is 100% correct.... in fact there was a time not long ago that only the original owner and no one else could buy one..

Tesla does this to discourage 3rd party dealer sales...

i also agree that the best of both worlds is a private sale... you get the remainder of the factory and you can add 4 years to that ... i got 6 years when i got mine after all is said and done... PLUS in some states... No sales tax.... win win win...

LOL

TOPP... you finally found a car????

...i also agree that the best of both worlds is a private sale... you get the remainder of the factory and you can add 4 years to that ... i got 6 years when i got mine after all is said and done... PLUS in some states... No sales tax.... win win win...

I purchased mine from Craigslist after lots of research about the car. It came with a CPO warranty as well. In NV no sales tax on private party. So i got the remaining initial 8 year battery and drive and the 3.5 remaining CPO. They are around if you look. And the patience can save you thousands. I've used the CPO warranty 3 times now and it's cost me $0.00. Great to have.