Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

good weekend sport car that complement well with model 3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of good suggestions here. My weekend toy was a motorcycle before kids came into the picture, and it was perfect for that purpose. I highly recommend this option as it offers a level of engagement beyond what you'll get with any car.

That said, life circumstances dictated that my toy now be a car. I, too, thought Miata was the answer -- until I found out I don't really fit :(

I've also been on the prowl for a 4-wheeled weekend toy and have been looking for the following: Corvette, actual "M3", M2, and 996/7 911. All FR, all available with a manual, and all sound pretty good.

Depends on your budget, taste, and propensity for track days. On a modest budget I'd recommend looking into the BMW Z4, look for one with the sport package and a six speed. If you have a little extra cash to spend, definitely go for a Porsche 911. I enjoyed both cars, but the 911 is one I'll probably buy again down the road.

Mine is a C6 rag-top. It's loud, obnoxious (melrose headers/Corsa extreme exhaust) and slower than my M3P, but a blast to drive on a sunny day. Sort of a complete opposite. Got to have a convertible on the weekends though. It's also 14 years old now with 30,000 miles on the clock.

IMG_4971.jpeg

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Those thinking about a C8 vette have no idea how hard they are to get. GM has been having one problem after another and the waiting list for those ordering slinks back several years. You will pay a large dealership additional markup if you want to cut in line.

Lots of good suggestions here. My weekend toy was a motorcycle before kids came into the picture, and it was perfect for that purpose. I highly recommend this option as it offers a level of engagement beyond what you'll get with any car.

That said, life circumstances dictated that my toy now be a car. I, too, thought Miata was the answer -- until I found out I don't really fit :(

I've also been on the prowl for a 4-wheeled weekend toy and have been looking for the following: Corvette, actual "M3", M2, and 996/7 911. All FR, all available with a manual, and all sound pretty good.
I had a F80 M3 (the one in production from 2014 through 2020) before my Model 3, and I wouldn't recommend that unless you have a track to explore the true capability of the car. In daily driving, it's really not that exciting. I don't think the new G80 M3 will be any more exciting unless you are pushing the car on track.

Can you fit into a Cayman or Boxster? If you don't mind a used one, the old flat-6 engines are awesome with the 6-speed. I had a Cayman before, and that's a fun car even when driving under the speed limit. I wish I have space in the house to fit one next to my Model 3!

I had a F80 M3 (the one in production from 2014 through 2020) before my Model 3, and I wouldn't recommend that unless you have a track to explore the true capability of the car. In daily driving, it's really not that exciting. I don't think the new G80 M3 will be any more exciting unless you are pushing the car on track.

Can you fit into a Cayman or Boxster? If you don't mind a used one, the old flat-6 engines are awesome with the 6-speed. I had a Cayman before, and that's a fun car even when driving under the speed limit. I wish I have space in the house to fit one next to my Model 3!
Yeah, I was really looking at e9X M3s (can't get the sound of that engine out of my dreams) but I think I missed the depreciation train on that one. Nice examples seem to be skyrocketing in value.

I briefly considered Cayman/Boxster but I think I've ultimately decided I want the next thing to be 2+2 so I can eventually take both kids with me on fun runs. I have a M2 headed my way now; we'll see if it checks all the boxes for everything I want :)

Reactions: OUengineer
I'm eyeing a Nissan Z Nismo when they come out, or maybe a new convertible Vette. Buying myself my one post IPO stupid gift, just need to decide.

I love the 3 but it doesn't scratch all my itches. And while very bad ass, a new Tesla Roadster is more than I want to spend.