Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

good weekend sport car that complement well with model 3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the significant holding costs (insurance, registration, oil changes, tune ups, depreciation etc) of a 2nd "fun" car, it perhaps makes better sense to just upgrade to the P version of your Tesla. Can become your go to car for both economy and fun.

What kind of upgrades will give it this style of fun?
But sometimes I miss the engine sound and mechanical sound of gear shifting and clutch.

more ideas if you find one

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
Caymans and Boxsters are nice, Miatas are fun too, but for pure driving enjoyment, I'd recommend a Lotus Elise.

LotusElise.jpg

I owned an elise and a P at the same time. I finally sold the Elise as I never drove it. It was a great car, I had it for ten years, but the P is so much more.
A Model 3P is certainly a lot more car, about twice as much by weight. :oops: It's also significantly faster in a straight line and the instant throttle response is addictive, but when it comes to the twisty stuff and brakes that hold up for lap after lap after lap, an Elise is a much better choice. Also, if you enjoy rowing through the gears and hearing the engine rev as was mentioned in the OP, an Elise is an excellent choice. They're both really fun cars, in different ways.

I owned an elise and a P at the same time. I finally sold the Elise as I never drove it. It was a great car, I had it for ten years, but the P is so much more.
An Elise is at its best on an autocross, race track, or curvy road. For driving on regular roads, running errands, or general commuting, an Elise is noisy, rides harshly, is difficult to get in and out of, and is easily overlooked by the folks driving much larger vehicles, which is almost everything else out there. I keep thinking of selling my Elise because I don't drive it very often, but when I take it somewhere that impulse fades away.

If it's a weekend car, you want something that is as reliable and cost effective as your Tesla.
Nothing beats the Mazda Miata for getting your visceral fix for sound, feel, and "wind in your hair", of a top-down roadster.
All this in a near maintenance free car, and as an added bonus, the Miata 12VDC battery is direct swap for the Model 3.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
If it's a weekend car, you want something that is as reliable and cost effective as your Tesla.
Nothing beats the Mazda Miata for getting your visceral fix for sound, feel, and "wind in your hair", of a top-down roadster.
All this in a near maintenance free car, and as an added bonus, the Miata 12VDC battery is direct swap for the Model 3.
I owned two Miatas in the past and for cheap, reliable fun, they're terrific. One thing that most people may not be aware of is that Lotus Elises are very reliable. Mine has been the most reliable car I've ever owned including the Miatas, a couple of Toyotas, and a bunch of other vehicles through the years.

Last edited:
Who wants to go to a gas station on the weekend in 2021? 🤣

When I drive my car, I have never wished that I was driving something else, especially some gas guzzler. I came from those, why I would I downgrade/waste my money and go backwards? I leave the past in the past.

Model 3 does it all and is all you (I) need. Why would you want a "Miata" for the weekend after driving your Tesla 🧐 lul

I have zero desire for anything else. However, next gen Roadster is my next car 🤑

Who wants to go to a gas station on the weekend in 2021? 🤣

When I drive my car, I have never wished that I was driving something else, especially some gas guzzler. I came from those, why I would I downgrade/waste my money and go backwards? I leave the past in the past.

Model 3 does it all and is all you (I) need. Why would you want a "Miata" for the weekend after driving your Tesla 🧐 lul

I have zero desire for anything else. However, next gen Roadster is my next car 🤑

I personally fall into your category, but I get the premise of the thread.

The Model 3 is amazing. As my wife says, it quietly glides down the road in a surreal way. And when it’s doing it on autopilot it’s just flat out sci-fi. It’s like it somewhat disengages you from the fact that you’re driving a car and has you feeling like you’re simply moving through space.

Sometimes people miss that engagement that you get from feeling/hearing the rumbles and variations you get from an engine and traditional transmission. I think that’s all it is (but someone can correct me if I’m wrong).