Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye Federal $7,500 tax credit - no way it survives Trump/Senate/House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The $7500 tax credits needs to end and let capitalism and competition take the reins. Sure I love getting money off my car but this was a temporary measure aimed at kick-starting the industry. Thanks to that and Tesla , most automakers have an EV or are planning one.
Then we should take the oil subsidies away too using that train of thought.

Given that the new government won't take office until 2017 and they are unlikely to be able to pass anything that takes affect for the year 2017, they are likely only able to change 2018 onwards.

CARB is still a force and maybe the biggest force and not subject to national politics. As a result, GM, Ford, and others might not like the removal of the $7,500 tax credit while CARB is still mandating ZEVs. Therefore, the ideal situation for Tesla is for the alternative fuels tax credit to be curtailed in 2018/2019 just as Tesla hits the sunset period anyways.

We will see how it plays out.
Elon/Tesla support all EV's, so no, the "ideal situation for Tesla is for the alternative fuels tax credit to be curtailed in 2018/2019," is not ideal. A $7,500 tax credit is not going to sway someone to buy an alternative EV instead of a Model S or X, a 3, maybe (those who buy EV solely for environmental purposes and have zero commute and want to own a second car that is ICE to actually drive any distance), but not the majority of people. Bolt is only competition when it comes to distance but doesn't offer the charging infrastructure, does not charge fast and is just bat *sugar* ugly. Tesla's goal though is for worldwide EV takeover, not just Tesla. I hope the credit doesn't go away for other companies, get more EV's on the road.

Reactions: wesley888
Didn't forget that. They have passed bills in the past that they knew would get vetoed. The Republican House has passed bills they knew would not get passed by the Republican Senate as well. As I said, if it were THAT important they would have made it known by now. I think there are far more important things they will focus on for the next 2 years (yes I mean 2 years) than this tax credit that is already scheduled to phase out over time.
Yes, there are far more important things they will focus on (which is the hope that will keep this alive), but the point was that with a Democrat president out of the way, even the more trivial things can easily be passed (they can just tack it on another bill).

Sorry, but it was the Republicans who put the tax credit for EV's into play.
Liberals like H2 Fuel Cells more. They think H2 is made by using 2 "D" cells, a beaker and a test tube.

I blame the schools.
That was passed as part of the bailout bill with Democrats controlling the House, and close to an equal split in the Senate (with the two independents). The Republicans in the House largely voted against it. Obviously the situation is quite different today.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I seriously doubt the future Republican President, Republican Senate and Republican House will work as one united block. It's far more likely that Trump and Congress battle almost as much as happens today. Trump will have to work very hard to get enough votes to get anything he wants passed.
I doubt it, and I put my money accordingly. I took steps this morning to hedge against a deep recession or upcoming depression.

As for what Trump 'wants,' that is pretty easy: a harem and a crowd of adoration. I'll consider the experiment with him a success if nuclear war is avoided.

The only escape hatch I see is the remaining Democrats using the Repub playbook and filibustering *everything.* No politics, no compromise. Four years of absolute grid-lock. I just doubt they have the backbone.

Agreed. At this point it looks like good old competition will spur growth for EV's The Bush administration $7500 tax credit has done its job.

Exactly, most people don't remember that this was a Republican, not Democratic, tax credit that was instituted to spur the industry on. Obama then extended it, but it was actually the Bush administration that implemented it originally.

George W. Bush, Father of the Modern Electric Car

I doubt it, and I put my money accordingly. I took steps this morning to hedge against a deep recession or upcoming depression.

As for what Trump 'wants,' that is pretty easy: a harem and a crowd of adoration. I'll consider the experiment with him a success if nuclear war is avoided.

The only escape hatch I see is the remaining Democrats using the Repub playbook and filibustering *everything.* No politics, no compromise. Four years of absolute grid-lock. I just doubt they have the backbone.

Well... I'm admittedly trying to apply lipstick to a pig, but...

[LIPSTICKONPIG]

It's about EGO to Trump. He well knows that people consider him to be a half baked clown. He's 70 years old, and is now more concerned about how history views him than anything else. If could well be that he puts aside the rhetoric and genuinely tries to make things better. He wants to be viewed as a great president - not a bozo that accidentally fell into office. And if he's willing to accept really good advisors, it may be possible that he would do some good things. God knows, the American system could use a bit of an overhaul.

[/LIPSTICKONPIG]

Let's see what happens... as though we have any choice.

Exactly, most people don't remember that this was a Republican, not Democratic, tax credit that was instituted to spur the industry on. Obama then extended it, but it was actually the Bush administration that implemented it originally.

George W. Bush, Father of the Modern Electric Car

If president A created something and president B either extended it or continued it then imo its mostly president B's responsibility and ownership. Whether or not you agree or disagree with the tax credits let's hold presidents and presidential administrations responsible not just for what they started but also for what they chose not to stop.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
US oil production under Obama:

150128144359-presidents-oil-production-780x439.jpg

Same goes with charts like this. Obama had nothing to do with the increased oil production but if you are president, you get credit. Better technology and several different ways to get at that oil is the reason production is up. Of course Obama would be blamed for a decrease as well. Goes with the territory.

A large group that dislikes Trump, a smaller group that dislikes Trump, and a small group that like him.

Why would a few hundred career politicians want somebody who doesn't owe favors to Congress to be in the WH?

Heck, there is really only one party in Congress, but split into two groups. One group helps only themselves and hides it. The other helps only themselves and brags about the favors they are doing us peons.

Only to sell cheap Saudi oil in the US. We were going to burn the oil regardless, might as well help arm an unstable region of the world, and line your pockets in the process.

What did our President do to reduce CO2? I'm not asking what he did to help OPEC friends.
Obama's coal policy and stricter CAFE policy. Both of which will likely be unraveled.

Edit, yep, hasn't even been one day and it's already happening:
http://jalopnik.com/trump-threatens-to-repeal-fuel-economy-and-emissions-re-1788755276

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vitold
HA HA HA

What a load of horse hockey.

It's harder to CREATE something than to just GO ALONG with it.

Sure, I'm not suggesting that the original creator of the idea doesn't deserve credit for the idea. I'm pointing out that the following president is at the least tacitly agreeing with the policy if he/she isn't taking action to change it. Who else would you have be responsible for the now nearly 8 years where the policy was maintained or extended? The president who created it 10+ years prior?

Status
Not open for further replies.