Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye Federal $7,500 tax credit - no way it survives Trump/Senate/House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is worried about a merged Solar City and Tesla? Every solar incentive in this country is about to disappear and they're going to buy a solar company? Who is going to want to put solar panels on their roof when coal power is available for four cents a kilowatt hour?

Reactions: X Fan
My Solar installer is not worried. He says the 30% Solar Power Income Tax Credit is solid through 2021 and tapers off after that.

Tesla is getting closer to easy Solar charging which is worth more that the $7500 in the long run. The 30% credit is on all components of the system (even installation) and is eligible for carry forward usage so you don't lose it if you are not making big $$ every year.

I don't see it the way the OP sees it. If the belief were closer to "goodbye any chance of improving / expanding the 7500 tax credit with this batch of politicians", then I'm in complete agreement.

But the thread title indicates imminent repeal of the tax credit. I have two related thoughts, likely already expressed in the many pages of the thread:
1) Repeal of the tax credit will be bad for all makes and models of EV's - I agree with that. It will be the least bad for Tesla as Tesla is the one company building EVs that are straight up attractive as vehicles, and are readily available in lots of places that aren't CARB ZEV compliance states. In this context, I see companies relying on compliance cars to achieve their ZEV mandate as needing to eat an incremental $7500 on each car to reach their minimums. Fewer total EV's sold, but a higher % of them will be Teslas (or so I predict).

2) And do we really think that this batch of politicians are going to expend their energy, willpower, and political capital repealing something that was signed into law by President Bush (as best I can tell - here's the resource I found: Public Law 110-343 - Wikipedia) AND that has a built in sunset clause that will take it off the table all on its own? I just don't see this as a particular priority.

If it were coded into law as a perpetual 7500 tax credit that never expired, then yeah, I would see this as possibly being a priority.

My prediction and belief, specific to the 7500 federal tax credit for EV's - nothing substantive changes over the next 4 years.

And further, this is arguably the worst outcome for Tesla as a business (in terms of % market share), as the other manufacturers will get to continue taking advantage of the tax credit long after Tesla is able to.

EDIT: To add on - I expect we'll see a large number of executive orders signed by Obama being signed out of existence by Trump, and quickly. This particular set of actions is what I interpret Trump's comments about ending spending on climate change as targeting. This is easy and is little more than a matter of finding a pen, and a lawyer to draft a piece of paper for him to sign.

Big difference with this tax credit is that it is the law of the land, passed by Congress, and signed by President Bush. Repealing the tax credit isn't a matter of an Executive Order - it's a congressional action. If it WERE an executive order to get rid of it, then yeah, I'd be in agreement that it'll be gone approximately instantly - maybe the same day as the oath of office is taken.

I agree the tax credit will be here for a while and President Trump won't even be thinking about Tesla. And if the tax ends, so be it. It has helped EV's which was it's intended purpose. Tesla will be a company that has taken full , maximum advantage the credit. Next for Trump is the slashing of the infinite regulations and taxes on companies. Tesla as well as all business will be better off. I for one am excited about the future of this country, something that has been missing for many years

Reactions: Kutu
I don't see it the way the OP sees it. If the belief were closer to "goodbye any chance of improving / expanding the 7500 tax credit with this batch of politicians", then I'm in complete agreement.

But the thread title indicates imminent repeal of the tax credit. I have two related thoughts, likely already expressed in the many pages of the thread:
1) Repeal of the tax credit will be bad for all makes and models of EV's - I agree with that. It will be the least bad for Tesla as Tesla is the one company building EVs that are straight up attractive as vehicles, and are readily available in lots of places that aren't CARB ZEV compliance states. In this context, I see companies relying on compliance cars to achieve their ZEV mandate as needing to eat an incremental $7500 on each car to reach their minimums. Fewer total EV's sold, but a higher % of them will be Teslas (or so I predict).

2) And do we really think that this batch of politicians are going to expend their energy, willpower, and political capital repealing something that was signed into law by President Bush (as best I can tell - here's the resource I found: Public Law 110-343 - Wikipedia) AND that has a built in sunset clause that will take it off the table all on its own? I just don't see this as a particular priority.

If it were coded into law as a perpetual 7500 tax credit that never expired, then yeah, I would see this as possibly being a priority.

My prediction and belief, specific to the 7500 federal tax credit for EV's - nothing substantive changes over the next 4 years.

And further, this is arguably the worst outcome for Tesla as a business (in terms of % market share), as the other manufacturers will get to continue taking advantage of the tax credit long after Tesla is able to.

EDIT: To add on - I expect we'll see a large number of executive orders signed by Obama being signed out of existence by Trump, and quickly. This particular set of actions is what I interpret Trump's comments about ending spending on climate change as targeting. This is easy and is little more than a matter of finding a pen, and a lawyer to draft a piece of paper for him to sign.

Big difference with this tax credit is that it is the law of the land, passed by Congress, and signed by President Bush. Repealing the tax credit isn't a matter of an Executive Order - it's a congressional action. If it WERE an executive order to get rid of it, then yeah, I'd be in agreement that it'll be gone approximately instantly - maybe the same day as the oath of office is taken.

Completely agree with you. Amazing how some people are so histerical about the election that they forget the system of "Checks and Balances" that we all learned about in say . . . 5th grade?

Seriously people, calm the @#$% down.

Completely agree with you. Amazing how some people are so histerical about the election that they forget the system of "Checks and Balances" that we all learned about in say . . . 5th grade?

I'm not hysterical about the election, however I do have a calmed concern about who Trump has selected to be his energy guy.

Agree with both of you....I presume the key items that Pres. Elect/Congress will be focusing on are:
1) Fixing the Health Care law
2) SCOTUS
3) Infrastructure Investments
4) Comprehensive tax law modifications.....that involves a bunch of vested interests and I presume will take the most time.

Thus, i'm not worried about national impact to Tax Credit. I am however, worried about 3 launch which if implemented properly ensures Tesla's long-term survival. If not, we're in trouble.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Agree with both of you....I presume the key items that Pres. Elect/Congress will be focusing on are:
1) Fixing the Health Care law
2) SCOTUS
3) Infrastructure Investments
4) Comprehensive tax law modifications.....that involves a bunch of vested interests and I presume will take the most time.

Thus, i'm not worried about national impact to Tax Credit. I am however, worried about 3 launch which if implemented properly ensures Tesla's long-term survival. If not, we're in trouble.
You forgot "building the wall", kill Iran deal, kill NAFTA, deport "illegal" Mexican immigrants, and hire Independent Counsel to "lock her up". Yeah, pretty big agenda for day one much less first 100 days to worry about tax credits for EV's.

Reactions: bhzmark

So about that system of "Checks and Balances".

If you recall from 5th grade, it was based on dividing power between the President, Congress and the Courts. The Republicans control the President and Congress. That alone is quite enough to repeal and/or pass any bill that doesn't affect a Constitutional right. With a new Republican Supreme Court justice, it's going to be difficult to even stop currently unconstitutional laws from passing.

There isn't anything else to do any "Checks and Balances" than the three branches of government. That's why people are getting hysterical.

If you recall from 5th grade, it was based on dividing power between the President, Congress and the Courts. The Republicans control the President and Congress. That alone is quite enough to repeal and/or pass any bill that doesn't affect a Constitutional right. With a new Republican Supreme Court justice, it's going to be difficult to even stop currently unconstitutional laws from passing.

There isn't anything else to do any "Checks and Balances" than the three branches of government. That's why people are getting hysterical.

Completely understood. I would ask then, what did the Democrats do, or not do, for there to be such a voter backlash to setup this across-the-table run? Seriously. This represents a lot of pissed off people for someone as polarizing as Donald Trump to have these kinds of coat tails.

Mod Note for ALL:

Off-topic posts and ranting, after a fashion, will be overlooked in the Investor Sector through this weekend. After that, ALL will be under closer scrutiny than ever.

Vetinari

Reactions: brianman
Completely understood. I would ask then, what did the Democrats do, or not do, for there to be such a voter backlash to setup this across-the-table run? Seriously. This represents a lot of pissed off people for someone as polarizing as Donald Trump to have these kinds of coat tails.
Why did the Democrats have to do something (or not do something)?

This isn't the first (and won't be the last) time that everything is red or everything is blue. Every president tries to do what's right, lots of them do damage, the same will be true of Trump.

Filibuster.

Why did the Democrats have to do something (or not do something)?

Because they neglected their base. Michael Moore says it best:

Morning After To-Do List:
1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.
2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn't let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must "heal the divide" and "come together." They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.
3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn't wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that's about to begin.
4. Everyone must stop saying they are "stunned" and "shocked". What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren't paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all "You're fired!" Trump's victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.
5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: "HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!" The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don't. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he's president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we'll continue to have presidents we didn't elect and didn't want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there's climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don't want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the "liberal" position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above).
Let's try to get this all done by noon today.
-- Michael Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.