Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye Federal $7,500 tax credit - no way it survives Trump/Senate/House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, not sure about that logic. I'd have to study the map more but at first glance it looks like the electoral states that went his way that were very close came from very, very less densely populated areas. If you look at it county by county it looks all red which is misleading because of density factor. By the way, "the more than 1% margin" theory needs to factor in that she's currently at 1% more now and rising (with 1% left to count) Gary Johnson 3%, Jill Stein 1%, "other" .7.
Anyway, screw it. We are so off topic and the whole thing makes me sick.
Yeah, it's pretty much over, so all this analysis doesn't really matter a whole lot, esp. for this particular topic (EV tax credits). Those of us in CA, like always, didn't really participate much anyways, since our votes are even more of a given.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Anyone that wants to understand Trump needs to keep the following in mind:

He's a BUSINESSMAN. This means his mindset towards the economy, energy, defense, etc. will always be "does this make financial sense" or "can we afford this".

Renewables are now able to compete, without subsidies, with traditional energy sources. Wind and Solar are DIRT cheap, even without subsidies because the industries have now grown up, he's not stupid and understands that.

He's a BUSINESSMAN. This means his mindset towards the economy, energy, defense, etc. will always be "does this make financial sense" or "can we afford this".

Renewables are now able to compete, without subsidies, with traditional energy sources. Wind and Solar are DIRT cheap, even without subsidies because the industries have now grown up, he's not stupid and understands that.

That may be a fact, but the messaging he gets will be determined to a large degree, by those surrounding him. He has a lot of traditional energy people associated with his campaign and on the transition team. I personally don't think they'll make changes to existing subsidies in 2017. The 30% solar tax credit in 2018 has to be considered in play. Sequestration is still the law, so they could be looking for current expenditures that are unpopular with his backers. It's a risk at this point. I think risks to 2017 incentives are very moderate. He wants to move fast, and some of his agenda may require bipartisan support to eliminate or change current budget law, where he may need 60 votes. Risks to 2018 incentives are much higher, but risks to Tesla decline the longer incentives are stretched out. Tesla auto would be fine if incentives were removed in 2017, but it could impact the stock price in the short term. It might push more initial sales outside of the US. Elimination of the tax credit in 2018 would put focus for all 2017 Model 3 deliveries to the US. It might also result in a lot of one way flights to SFO to pick up Model 3 deliveries in Fremont next December.
I think risks to Tesla Auto are very minor. The tax breaks begins to phase out at the end of 2017 or Q1 2018 anyhow. It would be a bummer for Model 3 customers, but would probably not affect overall sales, and might push some 2017 sales to Model S. The risks to Tesla Energy are not existential, but the impact to solar seems significant. The move from coal will continue and probably accelerate due to less regulation on fracking. This will keep pressure on solar to compete with low cost natural gas, which is not likely to rise above the 2.50 to 3.00 per MMBTU range. Without the tax credit, I think installed solar costs have to fall below $3.00 per KWh to compete outside of regions with upper quartile energy costs. I think the aesthetic of the new Tesla solar roofing will still get sales for higher end homes and consumers who can afford premium prices. Utility and commercial peered with battery systems will still be have functional and cost advantages over their competition. We still don't know enough about Tesla Energy overall utility, commercial and residential costs for a post incentive environment of competition to understand their potential profitability and scope of the market.
An interesting policy issue that has come up is making renewables eligible for MLP status could allow for loss of the 30% solar tax credit with minimal impact to price competitiveness vs wind and nat gas. Currently oil and gas are eligible for MLP tax advantage status and opening this up for renewables, would be a great compromise path to eliminating tax deductions.
The biggest opportunity for regulatory relief is state sales restrictions. It is hard to say if Trump administration will side against Tesla. Dealers tend to Republican affiliation, but deregulation could work to Tesla's advantage.
Overall, Tesla auto seems to have low risk of policy impact, at least from the loss of consumer tax credits. Tesla solar rate of growth could be impacted by tax credit losses in 2018, but continued cost reductions below $3.00 per KWh will allow solar to compete with Nat Gas in the $3.00 per MMBTU price range. MLP status could mitigate the loss of tax credits. Tesla auto sales centers in red states could benefit from deregulation, but this seems like a stretch. Loss of tax credits puts pressure on Tesla to hit timelines in 2017 and perhaps focus sales in the US in the second half of 2017. Some margin pressure on solar, probably offset by Tesla battery margins could leave us with a neutral result. No bevy of Clinton incentives, but no paralyzing policy issues.

Sorry to run on past the $7500 tax credit, but it's the weekend, and Tesla incentives are moving past the $7500 car deduction.

But probably not as many as the DNC candidate would have had:

Hillary Reportedly Raises 'Twice As Much' From the Oil Industry As Trump

It is entirely possible that a DNC win this week would have injured Tesla.

The DNC is tied into Oil, Unions, and Large Automakers. None of which helps Tesla Motors.
I wonder who knows better about who would help Tesla more you or Elon?
F.Y.I. Elon supported Clinton "big league". He tweeted this out at least a half a dozen times in the days before the election. Musk was a never Trump guy. Believe me, believe me.

Reactions: JRP3
I wonder who knows better about who would help Tesla more you or Elon?
F.Y.I. Elon supported Clinton "big league". He tweeted this out at least a half a dozen times in the days before the election. Musk was a never Trump guy. Believe me, believe me.

You might be ignoring how marketing works. The CEO of Tesla Motors knows his buyer demographic. That's part of the CEO's job.

If Elon Musk came out publically as 'right to work', against lifting minimum wage, or identified as a conservative Republican, how do you think that would affect the sales and acceptance of Tesla Motors. I'm not saying that he holds any of those beliefs, but if he did, he would keep them quiet.

If you believe CEO's never say things to improve their company image to buyers, you have no idea why talented CEO's are in high demand and get the big paychecks.

Reactions: bhzmark
You might be ignoring how marketing works. The CEO of Tesla Motors knows his buyer demographic. That's part of the CEO's job.

If Elon Musk came out publically as 'right to work', against lifting minimum wage, or identified as a conservative Republican, how do you think that would affect the sales and acceptance of Tesla Motors. I'm not saying that he holds any of those beliefs, but if he did, he would keep them quiet.

If you believe CEO's never say things to improve their company image to buyers, you have no idea why talented CEO's are in high demand and get the big paychecks.
No, I get that but in this case it reflects his beliefs and if you follow his tweets post election regarding his concerns on how Trump views climate change based on transition team selections, you'll see the consistency. I really think from Elon's perspective and considering his, some would say, "idealistic" values that he's looking at this at a higher level say climate change rather than just Tesla Motors. If you look at the composition of his board they're the same way.

This is a good bet. Unless we have some proof otherwise it is safe to assume the Trump administration will be no worse to renewables than the GWB/Cheney administration(who also had full republican control of congress for 4+ years). Which is to say they left them alone, and in some cases even helped them along. I would expect them to be totally hostile to any kind of carbon tax, but that wasn't going to pass under HRC either.

Trump isn't really this kind of businessman. He is more of a world class promoter and a deal maker. He is not the type of guy that cares much about the numbers, those details are delegated, what he cares about is "can it be done?", or "can we figure out a way to make it work?". Trump massively overextended himself to the tune of billions in the 90s and would have gone personally bankrupt had his banking creditors not deemed his trade market name on the buildings and promotional acumen an asset worth keeping and thus willing to take a haircut on their end to save. PBS frontline series did a good job giving insight into Trump, recommend checking it out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and msnow
Still not sure how empowering those who ban Tesla sales and/or physical locations is helpful to Tesla.

No amount of other policies are helpful at all if Teslas become illegal to sell or extremely difficult to service in more states.

No matter what Trumps views are, he's surrounding himself with those who DESPISE Tesla.

Mod Note:

(not specifically directed toward any recent post; rather, this note is going to ALL active Investor threads).

LAST day of tolerance toward posts that otherwise would have been, and are, unacceptable. One week of election-related wailing and gnashing of teeth and blaming it on others and overall unproductive posts is enough.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Mod Note:

(not specifically directed toward any recent post; rather, this note is going to ALL active Investor threads).

LAST day of tolerance toward posts that otherwise would have been, and are, unacceptable. One week of election-related wailing and gnashing of teeth and blaming it on others and overall unproductive posts is enough.
Yep and as one of the biggest wailers and gnashers I'm looking forward to ending it. :). Thanks for allowing the outlet.

The Fed credit doesn't take away U.S jobs so I see no reason why Trump would do anything to them. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he raised the tax credit while at the same time lowering MPG target set by the EPA. Trump said he will support anything that creates American jobs. He said he'd keep ethanol subsidies. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump completely ignores the new EPA head about removing the Fed tax credit while agreeing to other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.