TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Goodbye Gas! Tesla Electric Labor Day Roadtrip!!!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BigAirHarper, Sep 2, 2016.

1. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Let me start by saying this trip won't be "epic" or "groundbreaking". Just some good ole Tesla fun. Before I had my car I read as many of these types of threads as possible so I could live vicariously through other owners. I'm hoping someone on here will benefit like I did. Cheers to Labor Day!

The Destinstion:
    North Georgia Mountains

How are we getting there? Stay tuned!!!

Like any thread, it's useless without pics!

image.jpeg
    210 Miles full pulling out of driveway! Regen still occurs on new 60 even at full charge

image.jpeg
    Autopilot is the only way to travel

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
  2. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

First supercharger stop:
    Greenville, AL

Not another Tesla in sight, but super fast charging when I showed up with 30% battery left.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like x 6
  3. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Decided to stop in east Montgomery for a bite at Taziki's. Which conveniently has a Hilton Garden Inn destination charger across the street. So why not get some buffer electrons just for fun?

[​IMG]

Charging at 25 mi/hr.

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Nice!

• Dislike x 1
  5. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

There is pretty fantastic driving in the North Georgia mountains. Have a great trip.

• Like x 1
  6. ApauloThirteen

"...and I even like the color."

V nice, have a smooth trip! Congrats on the car! (Kiss your gas good' bye)

• Like x 1
  7. decrypt

decrypt Member

I'm so jealous. Can't wait to take my first road trip on the supercharger network. Longest I've gone with my BMW i3 is about 110 miles and back... but the SuperCharger network opens up all kinds of possibilities. I'm really curious if I'll really take advantage in the months and years to come... but definitely know there are a few Baltimore to Atlantic City road trips in my near future.

• Like x 1
  8. privater

privater 2016 Model S60 owner

Congrats! I'm also will be on a mid round trip (1000 miles) on labor day.

• Like x 1
  9. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

Here's an idea: go stay at the Berry Springs Lodge (2149 Seaton Springs Rd Sevierville TN 37862) - they have a Tesla (HPWC) charger; then report back on how it was. It is on my list of places to visit on Tesla roadtrip.

10. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Superchargers at Auburn, AL:

One Model S there already that left shortly after we arrived. 2 more showed up after we had been there for 5 min. One of owners happened to be from same town! Such a small world! In 32 min went from 31miles to 187miles of rated range. Not too shabby.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    The usual Tesla talk ensues. So much fun.

• Like x 4
  11. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Supercharging is so civilized and clean. And when was the last time you chatted someone up at a gas station? Have a great trip!

• Like x 3
  12. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

So after quite the evening with friends in ATL, we tucked the Tesla away for the night at the Westin Buckhead, part of the destination charging program. She will be ready for more adventures in the morning...

image.png

13. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

So woke up in Buckhead this morning with a full charge! What a way to travel.

image.png

image.jpeg
    Valet at Westin

Then we headed north to Yonah Mountain Vineyards. They were having their 7th annual "Crush Fest", and the place was popping. Thousands of people. Fortunately driving a Tesla, we bypassed the hoards of cars and got to park VIP for a charge. Gotta love it. And for anyone interested in wine this place was awesome!!!

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  14. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Busy evening yesterday. Arrived at our final destination for the weekend. Beechwood Inn BnB in Clayton, GA.
    image.jpeg
    (Quick driver change as I was letting my friend drive and wanted a chance at some windy mountain roads. View isn't bad either.)

They are part of Tesla's Destinstion charging network and we rented an entire cabin on the property. The people that run it are lovely and the Inn and cabin are awesome. Highly recommended with a wine thirty at 5:30 each evening. Oh and breakfast was awesome too.
    image.jpeg
    We arrived!

image.jpeg
    Charging is located in the back of the Inn.

We decided to go to Main St in Clayton to eat. Heard parking would be tough (it wasn't at all) so we parked at a Tesla charger I found on plugshare near main. A restaurant called Fromage. Sadly they are closed all weekend so we are here and can't try them out. But they love EV's so we charged while we ate and made the easy walk to main st. I'm finding this charging business to be quite easy and enjoyable. Also addicting, I want to plug the car in everywhere just so I can.

image.jpeg

• Like x 4
  15. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

Amazing thread and loving see this beauty of a car out in the wild.

I'm following your adventure. Love these types of threads.

• Like x 2
  16. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Yesterday we took the Tesla hiking. Or shall I say she took us to the Destinstion to start the hike.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    This morning it was time to top off the battery and after our last breakfast at the BnB depart back to real life. Of course I'm still excited because I get to drive home ;)

image.jpeg

Charged quickly in ATL Midtown location before dropping the friends back off at the airport. Charged to 199 miles by the time we went to bathroom.

image.jpeg

• Like x 2
  17. Weezer Fan

Weezer Fan Member

Looks like a fun trip. I am enjoying seeing how you go about the business of charging on a trip. Makes waiting for my M3 even harder.

• Like x 1
  18. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

It has been incredible. Just journeying around the southeast without gasoline is wild. And "free" as well. Glad you are enjoying it. As I said in the beginning these were my favorite threads on TMC leading up to getting the car. It's an incredible machine. And brings excitement back to driving long distances for me. It's addicting to plan the route and plug in as much as possible but honestly the Nav is so good you can just hop in and go and it will guide you to proper charging. I'll double check for fastest routes on my iPhone but it has worked really well.

• Like x 1
  19. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Pulled into the Auburn Supercharger with no one there. Went inside the mall to use the restroom and buy a bottle of water. On my walk back to the car I got the message from the app stating car was ready to continue the trip. It beat me again. This supercharging business is fast.

image.jpeg

On walking back out a fellow owner had joined the supercharger. That new blue is growing on me...
    image.jpeg

Side Note:
    My friend found a great use for the door handle, iPhone holder.
    image.jpeg

Currently autopiloting onwards to Greenville Supercharger!

• Like x 2
  20. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Arrived at Greenville with 43 miles left. Charged at 316mi/hr. First time entire trip the humans have had to wait on the car. Only amounted to about 10 min though. Sole ones charging which seems the norm around this charger.
    image.jpeg

Nothing to do at this charger stop. Only the Hampton Inn and Cracker Barrel within walking distance so options to kill time are limited. But as I'm typing this car is ready to roll. Added just over 100 miles in 20 min. Homeward bound!
    image.jpeg
    Ignore the 15 mins to continue the trip. The Nav routed me a longer way home than the normal fastest route I take. This is why double checking with your iPhone google maps is best.

• Like x 1