Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye regen, I'll miss you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had limited regen for about a week since it got cold up here in the north. This is my first winter with my Model 3, but I'm assuming us unfortunate souls in cold regions can probably kiss our full regen goodbye until spring. It's strange having to use the brakes again. :(

I've had limited regen for about a week since it got cold up here in the north. This is my first winter with my Model 3, but I'm assuming us unfortunate souls in cold regions can probably kiss our full regen goodbye until spring. It's strange having to use the brakes again. :(
In Minn (like WI) if you park outside, you may not have full regen for a good period of time in the winter.

For example, after a very cold soak at the office in the middle of winter I occasionally will not get full regen back at all on my 25 mile drive home.

It's worse in my S vs the Roadster, but I have no experience with the 3.

Preheating the cabin does not do much to heat the battery, but timing your charge to end close to the time you will leave will heat up the battery and give you regen.

once the battery warms up you get regen back... Time your charging to be done within 30 minutes of driving in the am. towards the end of the day, use the app to turn on the car and start warming it up....20-30 minutes before you drive off from work and you will have a defrosted car, and a warm battery...

once the battery warms up you get regen back... Time your charging to be done within 30 minutes of driving in the am. towards the end of the day, use the app to turn on the car and start warming it up....20-30 minutes before you drive off from work and you will have a defrosted car, and a warm battery...

Not in WI or Minn you won't.

Yeah, mine has been limited essentially for the last 2 weeks (unheated detached garage). My commute is 20 miles, all highway at 70+, so my efficiency since it gold cold is pretty bad, up near 320wh/mi (and has been as bad as 360wh/mi). Although, even when warmer, it was up near 280 (70+ highway is very inefficient generally). I get to work right when the battery has fully warmed. I need to try to time my charging better apparently.

One funny thing i noticed yesterday during the ice/snow in the twin cities is that, even after a 20 minute drive, there was ice all over my hood (but nowhere else). Funny, since in a regular car the engine heat wound have melted that first.

I've been charging before leaving and preheating the cabin with the app. I do have some regen, but limited. Most of my trips are short, 15 miles or less, so maybe the car just doesn't have a chance to fully warm up. I'm missing the full strength of regen as I've gotten pretty good at one pedal driving, but I guess I'll get used to limited regen during winter.

It's a real bummer when you dont have full regen for your normal commute. It's been mild so far here in ohio, but even with temps in the high 30's/low 40's I have some days where I don't have full regen after a 30 mile commute. I typically charge for 30-60 minutes in the morning and try to pre-heat the cabin as well.

I'm really sad at the loss of regen. More so at the fact that I know I'm supposed to set regen to low when it's icy out. Thing is, how am I supposed to know it's icy (black ice) until it's too late? So, basically I have to drive with regen set to low all winter? I tried that today and hated it. I've only had the car a month and a half, but had already forgotten how different it feels to coast more like an ICE car.

I really hope there's some way they can engineer the car to dynamically adjust to road conditions and limit regen in slippery conditions automatically. I assume that's a bigger engineering challenge than I can fully appreciate.

when you turn on the climate controls via the app you will see a battery icon will appear, which means it is heating up the battery, it will do this automatically.

In that case, already doing it. I turn on the cabin heat (just hit the climate icon) about an hour before i leave, does the full defrost, etc. The only thing i'm not doing is adjusting my scheduled charge so it end around when i leave, which i'll try.