Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye TMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first car enthusiast forum I really participated in any capacity in. I can say over the years I've watched it turn toxic in some ways, and more helpful in others. Folks take for granted the "search" feature (as ive been told off on other forums to use to find my answer). The issue being that when enough people ask the question, and then the thread answer is "use search", the search feature just finds 100 threads of no answers.

I do grow tired of answering the same questions over and over, so I ignore the great majority of them, sometimes folks have a new problem or are so confused by their issue that they are going down the wrong path and I'm happy to try to jump in. The car is much more popular than it was when this forum started, and people need a bit of tolerance to navigate all the new members with new (repeat) questions.

In the end, everyone has a different end goal with their TMC membership, and everyone just needs to try to respect that.

These forums are getting battered with people who have nothing better to do other than respond to people just to be ignorant. I've even indulged in the ignorance myself and I regret it because that's not what the forum is for. If I've ever come off as an a-hole to anyone on here I genuinely did not mean it (unless you were being an a-hole as well).

Sometimes when someone asks anything or is speaking from experience we have certain people (not saying names) that always come to the thread to make the OP feel like their problem/concern isn't anything big and that they should just grow up. That's not how a forum should work but you always have those people. We all are on here for our cars and to help others out so we should keep it that way imo.

I wish I could say I had a great time here. I wish I could say that I was able to participate here. I wish I wasn’t afraid of this community like I’ve become recently. This forum isn’t a place for me anymore. So why make a post about it? It seems silly, but I want to encourage this community to be better. I don’t want to make this place better, but someone else who still loves this community will hopefully want to. I wish this community the best of luck.

It's the best informational forum hands down. Unfortunately it's filled with trolls. Also the moderators seem non-existent. I gave them a donation and never heard a word - nothing - not even an acknowledgement. I still get the banners hounding me to donate though.

I wish I could say I had a great time here. I wish I could say that I was able to participate here. I wish I wasn’t afraid of this community like I’ve become recently. This forum isn’t a place for me anymore. So why make a post about it? It seems silly, but I want to encourage this community to be better. I don’t want to make this place better, but someone else who still loves this community will hopefully want to. I wish this community the best of luck.

(The party guest makes her vague and contextless announcement as she bids an early farewell, leaving the rest of the guests with shrugged shoulders and furrowed brows, wondering what that was all about before getting back to the usual.)

DOH?
I do not see any "ignore" button on my page. Can you please point me to it?
TIA
Not singling you out, but if you click on the user's name, you can see it.
upload_2020-3-1_22-18-30.png

I still get the banners hounding me to donate though

Adblock Plus FTW!

if you click on the user's name, you can see it

There is a design flaw in the website's ignore system rendering it only half useful. If you have a user ignored and he/she does anything which would make a notification appear (quote you or reply to a followed thread), you still get the notification and while it does only show "ignored member" it still shows his/her avatar icon. In my opinion this just makes you want to see what the ignored member wrote, which defeats this functions purpose.

Adblock Plus FTW!

There is a design flaw in the website's ignore system rendering it only half useful. If you have a user ignored and he/she does anything which would make a notification appear (quote you or reply to a followed thread), you still get the notification and while it does only show "ignored member" it still shows his/her avatar icon. In my opinion this just makes you want to see what the ignored member wrote, which defeats this functions purpose.
I don't think I've seen this, but maybe it's because my ignorees aren't replying to me. Kind of a mutual thing. ;)

Reactions: cucubits
These forums are getting battered with people who have nothing better to do other than respond to people just to be ignorant.

Noticing same. Odd how some newer owners come to almost beat up on older ones daring to take issue with some things many have faced. What I'm guilty of, I guess, is coming here like it's "the family", a place to let the issues hang out, where elsewhere you're more an ambassador and maybe kinder to the brand.

As a long- time member of the forum (April 2012) and one of the early Model S owners (2012 S P85), I've seen the forum evolve as Tesla's customers moved from early adopters (willing to cut Tesla some slack in exchange for having the first viable long range EV) to a rapidly increasing community with the introduction of 3 (and soon Y) that will likely be less forgiving - and that's what typically happens with all new technologies.

TMC seems to do a much better job in controlling content than Tesla's forums - and even after trying to restrict the forum to owners only, the Tesla forums are being inundated with spam and inappropriate/irrelevant content.

Unfortunately, posting on any forum will always result in small number of negative responses - it's too easy to pull the trigger on something people would probably never say in person.

Despite that, it's still worthwhile to contribute to the forum - for those of us who've been longtime Tesla owners, providing help to new owners still adjusting to life with a Tesla. And as long as posts stay close to the OP's original question or concern, the forum is still a valuable resource for Tesla owners - probably more useful than talking to Tesla staff in stores, galleries or service centers or on the phone.

I personally think this forum is a wonderful source of information. People posting their negative experiences provide good info, people posting their positive experiences provide good info. What is kind of disparaging to me are the posters who are constantly judging other's opinions or experiences, sometimes to the point of name calling.

Reactions: croman and cucubits
Early adopters
* Look for edgy performance;
* Willing to have frequent service-issues;
* Want to have unusual upgrade capabilities;
* Willing to deal with bleeding-edge problems, like hunting for chargers;
* Enjoys puzzles, such as picking the right stall, running down the battery before charging, and other math problems.

Mass adopters
* Want it to 'just work';
* Prefers fewer service issues, or at least no more than the old-line technology;
* Doesn't want to 'Google', 'Search', or weed-through hits for answers;
* Doesn't know what RTFM stands for;
* Expects quick, thorough, and non-sarcastic answers;
* Does not attend the church of Elon.

Might be a little of oil and water... and trying to mix them together.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good (wo)men do nothing.

Certainly not a quote of mine (I have none:p), but somehow applies in this case.

I don't think there is really Evil around here, but there is a bit/plenty (*) of negativity at times. A simple "first world problem" comment sometimes helps put in perspective things. But not always. It's indeed a lot of money for a car. And there are genuine reasons to be mad at times.

Posting experience and answers can help others, so it's important for the community and for Tesla.

Don't give up yet :D

(*) cross out the wrong indication :)