Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodenough's battery that increases capacity over time

Cosmacelf

Mar 6, 2013
San Diego

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Unless I'm doing something stupid (possible, I was up late and haven't had much coffee yet), the Panasonic NCR18650G spec sheet lists the 3300mAh cell as being 48 grams. My math wants to say that's 68.75 mAh/g

Those cells are believed to be in the ballpark of Tesla's cells specs.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Random comments from abstract...

... was charged to 5 V versus lithium with a charge/discharge cycle life of over 23,000 cycles at a rate of 153 mA·g–1 of active material.
Note: the rate is relative to active material, not total cell mass. Is this is the baseline current tech?

A larger positive electrode cell with 329 cycles had a capacity of 585 mAh·g–1 at a cutoff of 2.5 V and a current of 23 mA·g–1 of the active material; the capacity rose with cycle number over the 329 cycles tested during 13 consecutive months.
High capacity at low rate, deep discharge. Again relative to active material.

Another cell had a discharge voltage from 4.5 to 3.7 V over 316 cycles at a rate of 46 mA·g–1 of active material.

Not sure of significance of this test...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC