Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Assurance MaxLife tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not. They don't know that they are talking about lol. Your slowing down the car the same way from the tires point of view.
Agreed. IMO neither quick acceleration nor regen braking have very much to do with tire wear. No rubber is left on the road in either case. I’ve tried to spin the tires on dry pavement. It’s impossible. It’s how the car is driven between those two points where the tire wear takes place. Road conditions and how one enters and exits turns. News flash: aggressive drivers will wear tires quicker than everyone else.

Agreed. IMO neither quick acceleration nor regen braking have very much to do with tire wear. No rubber is left on the road in either case. I’ve tried to spin the tires on dry pavement. It’s impossible. It’s how the car is driven between those two points where the tire wear takes place. Road conditions and how one enters and exits turns. News flash: aggressive drivers will wear tires quicker than everyone else.
Tire wear is generated by both lateral and vertical loads as well as the more extreme scenario associated with lateral or vertical slip. So punching it at every stoplight does in fact decrease your tire life even on a Tesla where as you say it's almost impossible to spin your wheels(outside of track mode).

Reactions: tm1v2
These forces are not necessarily unique to EVs. High torque ICE vehicles would exert similar stress on tire surfaces.
Tire wear is generated by both lateral and vertical loads as well as the more extreme scenario associated with lateral or vertical slip. So punching it at every stoplight does in fact decrease your tire life even on a Tesla where as you say it's almost impossible to spin your wheels(outside of track mode).

I must be an outlier. My factory tires are still looking good with 23,000 miles on them, I live in the twisties, drive fairly quick through turns and our roads are terrible. The tire is too rolley-polley for me though, as is the suspension. I’m hoping to change that when the tires hit 3 or 4/32”.

I have whatever they were putting on late Q2 2021 M3LR with 18” aeros.

I must be an outlier. My factory tires are still looking good with 23,000 miles on them, I live in the twisties, drive fairly quick through turns and our roads are terrible. The tire is too rolley-polley for me though, as is the suspension. I’m hoping to change that when the tires hit 3 or 4/32”.

I have whatever they were putting on late Q2 2021 M3LR with 18” aeros.
We have been pleasantly surprised by the longevity of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. We're getting about 35,000 Mi a set but we keep the car tightly aligned

I've got 10,000 km on the Nokian One tires thus far, and am quite impressed. Wear is almost non-existent, and wet weather traction is superior (it doesn't rain much where I live, but when it does? Hydroplane-CITY normally!). Highly recommended to this point. I've got the 18" tires.
Excellent! I just had mine installed yesterday. I'm pretty impressed so far. They're much quieter than I expected, and my efficiency isn't dramatically different in the short amount of driving I've done so far. I've documented my first impressions here and will update as time goes on:
Nokian ONE tires-First Impressions

If people like low wh/mi, do not get treadwear warranty mileage above 45k (40k ideal). Change tires more often opposed to get a 80k mi tire. You carry more rubber around for no good reason really, its like a spare. Also no Z rated tires. It makes a difference in range, these are the true cost savings well hidden about the vehicle.

If people like low wh/mi, do not get treadwear warranty mileage above 45k (40k ideal).

If purchased aftermarket (i.e. not with a new vehicle), the following low rolling resistance tires have these treadwear warranties:
  • Hankook Kinergy GT: 70,000 miles
  • Michelin Primacy MXM4: 45,000 miles
  • Michelin Energy Saver A/S: 55,000 miles
  • Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect: 50,000 miles
  • Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus: 70,000 miles

Reactions: Jedi2155
They're an excellent choice. Probably the best truly high-performance all-season Tire.

How much do you like to stomp what used to be called the loud pedal? Now it should be called The Quiet Pedal!. Because if you use all this torque, you're going to be anteing up more money for tires.
They may be the best only if you do not care about your costs or the environment. They come already worn up from the factory with only 8/32 thread depth. To me this is cheating to sell more tires and completely anti-green to make us use and discard more tires for the same total distance. Please do not post any replies saying "Oh it is so much more stable with less thread", I do not believe nor need that. It is likely that Tesla gets a huge discount to select them as OEM tires, so they made the correct choice from their point of view, but we do not get the same deal for replacements. A set of four is now 11-Jun-2022 $2020CAD (wheels not included). While at Tesla Canada, a complete set of wheels with tires, covers and new pressure sensors is $2700. As per this table, there are many others that work too

Not sure how active this thread is, but I had the Goodyear's for around 11k miles, and they were horrible. Lots of cavity noise with varying frequency, so very unpleasant at high speeds. They were similar in efficiency to stock, but I wound up dumping them and putting on Michelin Primacy Tour A/S, which were MUCH better. The new Michelin's were initial less efficient, but have leveled out for the most part (maybe 5% less efficient than stock).