Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Comfortdrive for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased Goodyear Assurance® ComfortDrive® for my Model 3, 235 /40 R19 -

Went for it because of good price, comfort (Goodyear marketing pitch), potentially longer lasting than Michelin's and Continentals on a Tesla (mostly my hope).

Thus far, 8K miles.
Very happy with the ride. Comfortable, handles curves well, traction, etc.
Mileage - not seen a drop - same performance as my OEM continental ProContact - factory installed when I purchased in 2018.
rotated tires 2 times
Tread down to 6/32

It is a 60K warranty tire.
QTOG rating is 700 which supposedly is a metric on less wear (longer lasting), although driving conditions, driving style can affect the wear.

My driving habits - I got 42K miles on my factory installed Continental, while most folks in Tesla forums have averaged 35K or less.
Highway miles in California.

I will update here periodically.

Would be great to learn more from your experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2

Went for it because of good price, comfort (Goodyear marketing pitch), potentially longer lasting than Michelin's and Continentals on a Tesla (mostly my hope).

Thus far, 8K miles.
Mileage - not seen a drop - same performance as my OEM continental ProContact - factory installed when I purchased in 2018.
rotated tires 2 times
Tread down to 6/32

QTOG rating is 700 which supposedly is a metric on less wear (longer lasting), although driving conditions, driving style can affect the wear.

My driving habits - I got 42K miles on my factory installed Continental, while most folks in Tesla forums have averaged 35K or less.

I just had the Goodyear ComfortDrive tires installed on my M3LR from the OEM tires My first trip, I saw a reduction is range on the highway (10-20%). Did you experience this initially? I am wondering if there is a "break in" period and then it will return to the normal range.

Thanks,

John

Upvote 0
I just had the Goodyear ComfortDrive tires installed on my M3LR from the OEM tires My first trip, I saw a reduction is range on the highway (10-20%). Did you experience this initially? I am wondering if there is a "break in" period and then it will return to the normal range.

Thanks,

John
How many miles on the new tires at the start and end of the trip?

Brand new tires have a coating of "grease" that takes some miles to wear off. Instinctively I would've guessed that new tires are extra efficient during that phase, but I could be totally wrong and the grease makes them less efficient.

I will say the Michelin MXM4 that usually comes stock on Model 3 18" wheels is a very efficiency-minded tire. Their grip, handling, and road feel are terrible, I really don't like them, but I think they'll be hard to beat for efficiency. (Disclaimer: I've only used them on a Model S, not a Model 3.)

Upvote 0
Brand new tires have a coating of "grease" that takes some miles to wear off. Instinctively I would've guessed that new tires are extra efficient during that phase, but I could be totally wrong and the grease makes them less efficient.
They are less efficient .. new tires need to break in before you bother checking on efficiency etc. The new tires are "sticky" and this can use additional power until the stickiness wears off.

Upvote 0
How many miles on the new tires at the start and end of the trip?

I will say the Michelin MXM4 that usually comes stock on Model 3 18" wheels is a very efficiency-minded tire. Their grip, handling, and road feel are terrible, I really don't like them, but I think they'll be hard to beat for efficiency. (Disclaimer: I've only used them on a Model S, not a Model 3.)
Thanks for the response.

The tires were pretty new.

I purchased these tires from Discount Tire and I did stop in and talked to them about the range concern and to see if they had any ideas on why this could be happening. Unfortunately, they did not have any. I then called Goodyear to see if they had any ideas. They told me that I should not be seeing this much range loss and to have the tires checked out.

Not sure here to go from here. Discount Tire will swap out the ComfortDrive tires for something else within 30 day, but not sure what I would swap them for.

Upvote 0

Thus far, 8K miles.
rotated tires 2 times
Tread down to 6/32

I just had these tires installed. I also have the 19 inch wheels and got 48,000 on the original continentals. The tire rep at discount tire seemed surprised I got that much as he says he usually sees 20k or so miles on model 3 cars.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

The tires were pretty new.

I purchased these tires from Discount Tire and I did stop in and talked to them about the range concern and to see if they had any ideas on why this could be happening. Unfortunately, they did not have any. I then called Goodyear to see if they had any ideas. They told me that I should not be seeing this much range loss and to have the tires checked out.

Not sure here to go from here. Discount Tire will swap out the ComfortDrive tires for something else within 30 day, but not sure what I would swap them for.
New tires of the same make/model will be less efficient than the same tire that is worn down to 2/32". Tread creates drag. They will get better as they wear, but that could take a while. Point is, you're not seeing an accurate "apples to apples" range loss percentage. You would need to calculate it based off of your vehicle with the old tires at a high tread state.

It's not worth the trouble swapping them out.

Upvote 0