Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Eagle Touring + P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im switching from 21" wheels with Pilot Super Sport's to 19" with Tesla OEM Eagle Touring tires (for practical and aesthetic reasons) and am concerned that I might have issues with the Goodyears performance drop and lack of grip during launches.

My driving is mostly commuting and road trips on mixed to bad road surfaces, with a couple of spirited accelerations per day, and some mild spirited cornering through the mountains with the sunroof open. I do prefer a tire on the sporty side and am willing to sacrifice slightly on RR, noise, and cost without going full bore track style. All within reason of course.

The description of the Eagle Touring and lack of performance oriented reviews makes it difficult to judge what to expect from the tire. As a general description, Im thinking touring style tires in general might actually be a good match for me since they supposedly sprinkle a little performance into a practical daily tire vs. crap all-season OEM tires like the Bridgestone Ecopia, which would lose traction even in my measly Nissan Leaf.

Is the massive power of the P85D going to overwhelm these touring class tires? Or is the AWD going to keep me from breaking loose? The tire shop Im going to has Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in stock, but Im thinking about driving the Goodyears until winter is officially over, then switching to a more summer oriented tire such as the Pilot Sport 3.

I have the goodyears and have previously owned the Michelin a/s on a different car. I suspect the goodyears are not as sharp when it comes to handling. Would like to hear from those who have switched.

OP here. I’ve been driving around with the RS-A2 for about a month now and I gotta say I’m not impressed with them. They actually seem slightly noisier and more harsh on the smaller bumps than the Pilot Super Sport on 21” wheels, which I found surprising. When going through corners even slightly spirited, it feels like there is more body roll, but it’s likely sidewall flex. They lose a little traction on hard launches unless the pavement is perfect. Nothing dangerous or anything, the AWD and TCS does a great job of keeping things under control... I atleast expected to have improved comfort, but it’s honestly slightly worse. I realize they are all seasons that will never compete with PSS on performance but I just feel there is zero sporty feeling to enjoy, nothing high performance about them. Even in the rain and snow, the grip and performance isn’t there. Not a sporty tire in the slightest, and really not even good as an all season. They do seem to be wearing super slowly which is kind of a shame. They remind me of all seasons that you might find on a taxicab.

I just took my car in for my first annual maintenance and I surprised to learn that my tires needed replacement with just 18000 miles and pretty conservative driving patterns. I have the OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring. I started a thread more specific to my situation you can find here: Replacement Tires Redux

If you're looking for performance and durability Goodyear Eagle Touring doesn't wow me at all and the quick wear on the tire makes it less appealing. I've decided to go with Michelin A/S 3+ myself as dry and wet performance ratings for these look very high. I don't have to worry about snow in LA, but if I did have to I'd still get these and have a 2nd set of winter ones to swap into.

You'll probably notice a great boost in comfort merely going from the 21's to the 19's, and you'll be removing some overall weight and inertial mass from your wheels that should give you faster launches, but the improvement isn't going to be substantial.