Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Eagle Touring tires worn out at 25k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a month of arriving back from our Yellowstone trip (a 6300 miles trip) from Long Island New York, our 2019 100D has reached 25k miles.
The original Goodyear Eagle Touring is worn to the bar. What's your experience with this tire if you have them? 25K miles for a set of touring 4 season is kind of low for me...

Attachments

• 20200928_132117.jpg
    20200928_132117.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 446
  • 20200928_132121.jpg
    20200928_132121.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 287
  • 20200928_132148.jpg
    20200928_132148.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 20200831_211929.jpg
    20200831_211929.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 221
OEM tires often come with a shallower tread depth, the tires in question did. Instead of the standard 12/32nds, these tires were 9/32nds (I measured mine). Basically they are 25% "worn" when new. But, since nobody ever goes to zero, you could argue that it's more like 30-40% of the tire's lifespan.

I never looked into why, always assumed it is a cost saving for the vehicle manufacturer. Tesla is not alone on this issue.

Any here I thought the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s were the cheap tires. They were on the car when I bought my used Tesla 20 months ago. 40K miles later it's almost time to replace them. My lifetime energy consumption is very similar to yours and I would assume you're light on braking/regen and moderate on the accelerator too. That would leave pavement quality and wheel alignment as the only outside variable. Perhaps they just aren't long lasting tires.

I've been using Goodyear RS-A2 tires (the OEM tires on my car) and I typically get about 30-35k miles from them — I'm on my third set and I've never had any of them all the way down to the wear bars. Since I live on a gravel road and drive steep, sharp mountain curves every time I leave home, I'm a lot harder on tires than flatlanders who mostly drive highways, although I do have a lot of highway road trip miles as well. [The exception would be performance car drivers with a lead foot — that's harder on tires than my basic mountain driving.] Handling on my mountain hairpin curves is fine. They don't work on snow and ice in my RWD car, so I use snow tires.

Although these tires are regularly disparaged here, my only complaint is that they are a bit noisy; when I shift to my snow tires, with the softer rubber compound, the snow tires are quieter. In terms of mileage, since the Goodyears are much less expensive than the Michelins that many prefer, if the latter last for more miles, it probably works out to a wash in terms of cost.

My preference is for low rolling resistance (at reasonable cost) but I have never found any testing that compares the tires that fit my car. The Nokians preferred by some, and generally regarded as the best for LRR, are very expensive and hard to get where I live, so I haven't tried them.

So far I like the OEM Goodyear tires. They are quiet and ride well. I am starting to drive my new car more aggressively, and love to feel the power, which I think they handle fairly well. I hope to get 20K out of mine. Soft rubber wears out quickly. That is the tradeoff -- safety verses economy. I will compromise on high mileage every time for tires. It also seems with the heavy weight this car would need XL (Extended Load) tires like these, or the tires will not handle properly and may not hold up as well with the weight nearing or exceeding their load range.

I've had quite good luck with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2. I was able to get 36,600+ miles / 2.25+ years on my last set (down to the wear bar). And that's even with the terrible roads here in California! I could have coaxed more miles if I had rotated them more regularly...

NASCAR uses Goodyear tires. They change them about every 40 miles during a race. I know, apples and oranges. Race tires are slicks, which means no treads, and they are going up to 200 mph.

Fast driving and hard launches will wear the tires out faster. They don't squeal during a launch, due to traction control, but rubber is still being ground off of the tire,

I've had quite good luck with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2. I was able to get 36,600+ miles / 2.25+ years on my last set (down to the wear bar). And that's even with the terrible roads here in California! I could have coaxed more miles if I had rotated them more regularly...

I've also had good luck with the Goodyear RS-A2 tires, the 245/45R-19 were OEM on another similarly-sized sedan I bought new (albeit FWD, lighter and far less torque) and I got roughly 50K out of them.
They performed well enough that I bought another set at the local Goodyear tire shop and ran them for over a year before trading the car.

Every time I replace tires on any of the cars I have had I choose models with lower speed ratings than OEM, since every high performance car comes with much higher speed rating than anybody needs (with the exception of Autobahn drivers). The OEM ones aren't 'crap tires' but they are very high speed rated and that translates inevitably to higher wear. Lower speed ratings produce cheaper, more durable, better riding and less damage-prone results. When practical I also choose high profile too, that reduces hazard damage and wear plus better ride.

From Alfa to Ferrari, BMW to Tesla I've done that every time and never regretted the choice.

Dude, where do you guys come up with this stuff.

They are sub-$150 all season tires with a 500 treadwear rating, no mileage warranty, and a gimped 9/32” tread depth when brand new.

They’re just cheap OEM tires.
Not on my P85D nor on P3D. I have little recent experience with non-high performance models.

• Funny
Reactions: kg7jo-