Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Tired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

paolousa

Dec 14, 2022
USA
Hello everyone, new member here. I just bought out the lease on my 2019 Tesla S very happy with the results...however today I had a flat tire on my left front and with only 20,000 miles discovered that my rear tires (both inside treads where extremely worn and the fronts were as well) had to replace them with four new tires at a cost of $1100. Feel safe now, however I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue? I had taken it to Tessa, requesting to have the vehicle aligned twice in the last three years however, each time I could not get verification from them that the tires/wheels, in fact, had been balanced and rotated, and aligned? Please advise.

Attachments

• A60333C2-5ED9-4239-8444-63B0938016F0.jpeg
    A60333C2-5ED9-4239-8444-63B0938016F0.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 113
  • 4576AC79-64DF-4B0E-BA2B-11D2CD534DCB.jpeg
    4576AC79-64DF-4B0E-BA2B-11D2CD534DCB.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 690A5057-B240-47D2-9142-AF1694598D03.jpeg
    690A5057-B240-47D2-9142-AF1694598D03.jpeg
    539.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 4BC183D0-74B6-4494-8725-DB0D5175E7C5.jpeg
    4BC183D0-74B6-4494-8725-DB0D5175E7C5.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 69
Your service invoices should say whether the tires were rotated and/or aligned, but even if they were, what do you hope to achieve? Tire wear depends on your driving style, but having to replace Model S tires after 20k mikes isn’t unheard of.

If it were my car I would certainly want to know the numbers for the rear tires and see if it is off. It would bother me that the tires are not riding and wearing evenly across the tread. Your driving style has NOTHING to do with that uneven tire wear.
I got 40K miles out of mine. To me thats my normal

Reactions: maximizese
I got 18k miles out of my original set of 19" tires. I'm impressed that someone can get 40K miles out of the tires. These are heavy cars, tuned a bit more toward performance, so the tires do wear. You can buy rock-hard tires that will last 60K miles, but you will be punished for it!

Reactions: ucmndd
Factory Goodyears were only good for 20k for me too.

Every Model S has a decent amount of negative rear camber from the factory and it’s not adjustable. The only real solution to inside rear wear is to keep up on rotation.

If it were my car I would certainly want to know the numbers for the rear tires and see if it is off. It would bother me that the tires are not riding and wearing evenly across the tread. Your driving style has NOTHING to do with that uneven tire wear.
I got 40K miles out of mine. To me thats my normal
I've had similar experience and got 50K miles out of the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 that came on our RWD S...and I never rotated them or had them balanced. I replaced them with the same tire model because they were relatively inexpensive and made a decent touring tire. 85% of our mileage is freeway/highway so we're neither heavy on the accelerator nor brake. However, an alignment issue will shorten a tire's life drastically no matter your driving behavior. One telltale of alignment issues is obviously tire wear patterns, but one less obvious one would be an increase in Wh/mi...especially if the toe is in. I plan to balance and rotate my current tires every 10K to see if I get break the 50K mile mark of the previous set.

I do rotate regularly. Part of it may be that I have a RWD Model S. And most of my driving is Highway. But I have yet to see any uneven wear from the rear due to any camber issues. I have always used the Michelin Primacy tires. I like them because they ride quiet in my experience and seem to last a decent while.

This might sound a little crazy... but I just crossed 101k miles on what I believe to be the original mxm4 tires (I bought my S 85 used from Tesla in August 2018 with 48k miles on it, and have not changed the tires ever). I figure that to be a LOT of miles for the original tires (or even if hey were brand new when I bought the car, which they certainly were NOT...). Looking at an array of new tires now...

Never rotated. Just drove from LA to Portland and back in hellacious rain. No probs.

-shud

This might sound a little crazy... but I just crossed 101k miles on what I believe to be the original mxm4 tires (I bought my S 85 used from Tesla in August 2018 with 48k miles on it, and have not changed the tires ever). I figure that to be a LOT of miles for the original tires (or even if hey were brand new when I bought the car, which they certainly were NOT...). Looking at an array of new tires now...

Never rotated. Just drove from LA to Portland and back in hellacious rain. No probs.

-shud
Would have been interested to know the date code on the tires you just replaced. That said, I’ll go on record saying 100k miles on a set of MXM4s would seem to be nearly impossible. I’ve had 3 sets of them.

There are several discussions found here about the rear tire wear and the suspension settings on different point of view. One of them is here. Interesting to see that if the OP just ended the leasing, they had not noticed that the rear tires does wear out from the inner edge? It’s very widely know that adjustable suspension and a heavy weight will give the results that these cars possess. You can change the situation by changing out the rear OEM unadjustable camber arms with the adjustable ones provided by third parties. Just pick your favourite one.