Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Tires vs. Michelin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S is approaching 26k miles and my two front tires are getting thin and noisy and I'm sure the rear tires will be needing replacement soon too. What has everyone else been doing regarding replacing tires on their cars and any recommendations? I would be fine with replacing them with the same OEM Goodyears and having the SC do the work, but I just thought I'd check with the group for any recommendations. I'll probably be selling my S in the next few months, but I don't think I can take the road noise much longer.

I've had pretty good experience with Michelin tires on my pre-S vehicles and always liked their performance. The S is the first vehicle I've driven that came with Goodyear tires and although I have no complaints they are quite loud now and the replacement cost is a bit high compared to other brands.

Also, where have you all been going to change tires? SC? Costco? Lex Brodie?

Thanks!

The GYs should be about $150, the Michelins about $250. I've found the Primacy MXM4 to be quieter throughout the tire's life and far more flat resistant than the GY. This time around I'm getting the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (note the +) which is new this year. According to Michelin:

Primacy MXM4 ratings are 10 out of 10 in handling; 9 out of 10 in wear, fuel efficiency, braking, and comfort. The UTQG is 500 AA A

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ratings are 10 out of 10 in wear; 9 out of 10 in fuel efficiency and comfort; 8 out of 10 in handling and braking. The UTQG is 500 AA A.

According to the reviews, the PSAS3+ has the same braking wet or dry, while the MXM4 has better braking in the dry but quite a bit worse in the wet (than the PSAS3+).

The GYs should be about $150, the Michelins about $250. I've found the Primacy MXM4 to be quieter throughout the tire's life and far more flat resistant than the GY. This time around I'm getting the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (note the +) which is new this year. According to Michelin:

Primacy MXM4 ratings are 10 out of 10 in handling; 9 out of 10 in wear, fuel efficiency, braking, and comfort. The UTQG is 500 AA A

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ratings are 10 out of 10 in wear; 9 out of 10 in fuel efficiency and comfort; 8 out of 10 in handling and braking. The UTQG is 500 AA A.

According to the reviews, the PSAS3+ has the same braking wet or dry, while the MXM4 has better braking in the dry but quite a bit worse in the wet (than the PSAS3+).
How have the PSASS3+ tires performed so far? I am about to have to replace tires and am looking at what to get.

Mine came with the goodyear and next set I put the Michelins on. Can't say I really noticed any difference. Maybe Michelins a bit noisier. next set definitely going back to goodyear as Michelin not worth the extra cost. Installed at SC

I just replaced my Goodyear Eagles (35K) with Michelins. I LOVE the new tires. A whole lot quieter than the Goodyears. But I have a question: Where can I get a tire repaired on Oahu? Before I decided to replace all four, I called Lex Brodies in Kaneohe to check one of my Goodyears for a slow leak and they told me they no longer service Teslas!

The fact that you got 35,000 miles with the OEM Goodyears is encouraging. I have a quote in hand from Sam's Club, of all places, for $518 out the door including tax, 2-year road hazard certs and lifetime rotation/balancing. Both durations are amusing because I expect to drive 35,000 miles annually.

I did meet a Model S owner with 3 years and 26,000 miles on his OEM Goodyears - he was happy with them. However, I heard and have not yet substantiated that only Michelin and Pirelli extend the belts the entire width of the tire. This might have something to do with the reports of softer sidewalls and higher flat rates with the Goodyears.

If the Tesla SvC price wasn't at double that $518 for those same Goodyears, I'd happily have them do the work.
($180/tire plus CA tax, so almost $800 for the set plus at least $125 for mounting/balancing, and all of that with no road hazard certs of any kind).

That's quite the premium to pay for theoretically correctly torquing 20 lug nuts. Something we should all invest in a torque wrench and check ourselves anyway, but I digress.

My Goodyear lasted 30k on my Model S, the Michelin MXM4 lasted 45k. I currently have the Pirelli P7 on the rear. I bought them based on their rating to last longer than pretty much any other tire. I'm not 100% happy with them, though. Traction isn't as good as the Michelin and the car is more sensitive to groves on the road. One might say, it's fine for normal driving. That is true, but when you get in a situation where you have to stop as quickly as possible you want the best traction you can get.

I'd go with the Michelin Primacy MXM4.

I just ordered a set of 4 - Nitto Invo tires (245/35ZR21) from DiscountTtireDirect.com for my car. I had Nitto NT555 tires on my Mustang and was happy with them, hopefully I will be as happy with the Invo.
(First I had the Continentals and then I got the Michelins.) I considered getting the Michelins again through the SC but at over $525 they seemed a bit too much.
after all I can get the same tire from tirerack.com for about $331. (the Nittos are $270 each) all prices except from the SC add shipping of about $50 per tire to Hawaii from CA) (free shipping to CA)
I just had my alignment checked and they said I had major uneven wear on my Michelin tires. one was almost down to the cord while another had hardly any wear.(the last two had the same moderate wear)
as a result my car still drifts to the right.
tires were back ordered and should arrive in a week or two on the slow boat to Hawaii, once I have them mounted I hope I run straight and true again.