TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Goodyear Touring - only 16k??

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by RamshakleZ, Aug 4, 2017.

1. RamshakleZ

RamshakleZ Member

My MS came with the Goodyear Touring tires (the new ones with the foam inside). I'm now at 16k and it is time for new tires. I've been really happy with these tires but not happy about only 16k (especially after hearing that the Michelins are getting 30+!!

Anyone else with the Tourings also getting low miles on them? I'm thinking of going with the Michelins this time around...

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

So you only want bad reports? I'll keep quiet about 24K and lots of tread left, then. About half work out. (7/32)

3. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

I have the Tsportline 19” wheels that came with the Pirelli P Zero all season plus tires and it was time to change it at 12,500 miles. Admittedly I’m at 18,000 miles now and I still haven’t changed the tires.

4. realvvk

realvvk Member

Mine are looking pretty worn at 12k miles. One more long trip and will probably need new tires. My car is dual motor, so the tires have very even and uniform wear.

This is what I would usually expect from tires on a heavy, powerful, rear-wheel-drive platform car.

5. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

My Michelin 19's need be replaced at 12k. Third set on now and fourth will be in 6 months.

6. Chris P

Chris P Member

I have the new Goodyear with foam. 20,000 miles and have 6/32 tread left on all 4 tires. I have a rwd and rotate them every 5,000 miles.

7. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I have the Goodyear Eagle Touring, came new with the car, now at 31k miles; look like they have another 5k to 10 k in them.

8. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I replaced my foam lined Goodyears at 25K miles.

9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you seem to be an outlier. most people get many more miles from these same tires.

10. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I'll confess my ignorance: how do you know if you have the "foam lined" Goodyear tires?

11. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

The Goodyear Touring tires installed by Tesla are foam lined. I think Goodyear may sell the same tire without foam, but the Tesla ones have foam.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Poor milage on your tires is almost always one of alignment, low inflation, frequent full acceleration, or some combination. Foam or not foam won't have anything to do with it. (Assumes you don't turn off traction control and burn rubber for fun and don't drive extensively on gravel roads.)

13. Villa-Lobos

Villa-Lobos Member

So far 8/32 after 8000 miles so at that rate I would expect 30k plus before the tires get to 4/32? Seems reasonable to me so far. Although got my first flat on 30 years after my wife ran over a truck tire remnant on I-90.

14. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I would have your alignment checked. Those tires have treadwear rating of 500 which should be lasting much longer than 16k miles. Do you have air suspension and drive around in very low a lot?

15. headcase

headcase Member

I'm pretty easy going on my acceleration pedal, and overall I drive pretty conservatively. I also rotate my tires every 5k to 7k miles. The Goodyear Touring OEM tires that came on my 90D have 16k miles on them and are almost due for replacement. Been thinking of changing to something else with low rolling resistance like the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus or perhaps the Michelin MXM.