Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear vs. Michelin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's too bad that we don't seem to run across published values of rolling resistance to get objective comparisons as we can on other tire characteristics.

That's because tire manufacturers consider rolling resistance as trade secrets. The original plan for the UTQG was supposed to include rolling resistance but the tire manufacturers got it removed. A few years ago California had a plan to make the manufacturers display the rolling resistance on tires sold there, but that never came about either.

Even though you are the most knowledgeable person I know regarding tires, nevertheless I doubt your single experience provides an objective measure for the reasons you list.

Which is why I listed the reasons. Not everyone gets the same Wh/mi as I do either. Anyway, the difference between the energy usage of the two tires isn't that large and it might get smaller on my car as the tires accumulate miles. Right now the difference is measurable and repeatable on my commute, but not significant.

It's obvious that Tesla thinks that there is a measureable improvement in economy in upgrading to the Michelin Primacys from the standard Eagles such that they prominently advertise the "fact".

There is no question the Michelins are better all-around tires, Tesla made the right choice (IMHO). It would still be the right choice if the EPA cycle test showed the GY were 3% better, because of the handling differences between the two tires. I'm not a particularly aggressive driver and the difference was easy for me to feel. The main advantage of the Goodyear is price, and I suspect that had a lot to do with it being Tesla's initial selection. Now that they have more experience with the costs of building the car, the switch to the higher retail priced tires makes sense.