Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goof off poll: Which will come first: FSD or A.I. Bot in your home?

Which will come first: FSD or A.I. Bot in your home?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Terminator857

Aug 5, 2019
Ca
The bot is easier in my opinion, because it is unlikely to kill someone if it makes a mistake. Suspect the first versions for the home might be short, like 5 feet tall. Making it smaller will likely make it feel more safe to people and lower production costs.
FSD = Full Self driving, not partial self driving.

Last edited:
I voted FSD taking the narrow view of what that meant - in other words the mostly always-on version of Autopilot that still requires human driver in control. Once they stop it doing to stupid stuff I think they'll release it to the public.
AI Bot has a slower moving environment but will have to be completely self contained.

Reactions: Terminator857
The bot is easier in my opinion, because it is unlikely to kill someone if it makes a mistake. Suspect the first versions for the home might be short, like 5 feet tall. Making it smaller will likely make it feel more safe to people and lower production costs.
FSD = Full Self driving, not partial self driving.

In 2016, Elon Musk wished Model 3 could have been built by "Alien Dreadnought".

Those are repetitive tasks that don't encounter new complicated scenarios and it couldn't be done even now.

Robots in science fiction will happen but we are still at the very infancy stage and judging from the progress speed for FSD, it will take a long, long time.

But it will happen in Tesla Alien Dreadnought factories first.

Optimistically, the Bot prototype is revealed EOY 2022, and is sold in 2023. Will FSD robotaxis be operating by EOY 2023? My guess is yes, but only in select urban centers in the US. I could envision taking delivery of my Bot before experiencing a robotaxi.

• Funny
Reactions: trisk
1644185183442.png

In 2016, Elon Musk wished Model 3 could have been built by "Alien Dreadnought".

Those are repetitive tasks that don't encounter new complicated scenarios and it couldn't be done even now.

Robots in science fiction will happen but we are still at the very infancy stage and judging from the progress speed for FSD, it will take a long, long time.

But it will happen in Tesla Alien Dreadnought factories first.
I'd almost forgotten about the Alien Dreadnought :)
He did say that current production is much more automated than normal and that they would get more and more automated, but there were so many things that humans were good at.
I'm not sure on the purpose of an AI-Bot. What is the point of it being in human form? It seems like there are so many compromises that being a quadruped would resolve, especially in a factory environment.

i dont think we'll have actual humanoid AI bots in our house, or at least for many many years, not because we can't make them but because we are just so far off from being able to do anything useful with them lol. really i think we will move away from the idea of even having like a butler bot as more and more things become "smart". eventually they will standardize on a common operating system or language so everything can communicate and rather than one AI bot, you'll basically have an AI house or whatever thing.

IF somehow we were able to achieve "Mr Data" level of AI and robotics today, sure we'd make a bunch, since our world was designed for humans you need a human to do most things but as time goes on more and more things will be designed to be used without humans and the whole idea of a humanoid robot would seem kinda dumb. imho

Reactions: APotatoGod
i dont think we'll have actual humanoid AI bots in our house, or at least for many many years, not because we can't make them but because we are just so far off from being able to do anything useful with them lol. ...
Who / what is going to do the dishes and clean the table and counter tops? Tesla bot to the rescue. :p

Don't know what tasks will be easiest to do at the assembly plant, in which Elon said the bot would go first.

Cosmetics over function.

Others would concentrate on function rather than beauty. Feet without toes. Hands without fingers... And don't forget LIDAR is a must!!!!!

Those Boston Dynamics bots are scarily awesome though.
Although watching the video again, almost everything it interacts with has targets on it. So while its very good at standing up and moving around, they obviously had work to do with the perception part of the equation.
Maybe Tesla is more ahead there, but currently has no in house skill on all the things Boston Dynamics have been working on. Maybe ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator857