TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Google Maps - any way to get alternate route suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by bignoodle, Jan 28, 2016.

1. bignoodle

bignoodle Member

When planning a route, or en route, I can't right now seem to find any way to tell the nav system to "avoid highways" or "use local roads" or for that matter, any of the routing options that native Google Maps (on mobile or browser) gives you. Grey lines representing the alternate route, which you can tap on, just like normal Google Maps, would be awesome.

I've had to ignore and/or abandon route navigation on a number of occasions when I could plainly see that traffic was going to be a nightmare along the suggested route (and I feel it should have taken this into account more intelligently). Ignore it and carry on a different way, and it does re-route on the fly. All well & good. But it'd sure be nice if I could control that routing up front, choose the path I want, and lock it in, before setting off.

Or, um, is this feature actually available, and maybe I'm just too thick to find it? :crying:

2. ediot

ediot Member

nope, couldn't find it either. sometimes i know the approx route i want to take, and i just choose that area as my approximate destination, so it leads me there. I then choose my real destination when i'm getting close to the place i selected. not ideal, but it makes do for now. The nav software can definitely do better in that regard.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The Tesla Nav does not offer those features.
    This has been discussed many times on TMC, and is a major complaint for many owners.

4. slicedbread

slicedbread Member

I use Waze whilst driving. Much better routing options and clearer instructions on when to exit or turn. Rather annoying not to be able to rely on dashboard navigation or 17" screen for maps, but I never miss an exit and Waze is much better routing around traffic.

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

6. ediot

ediot Member

im assuming that you use the in-car web browser to run this instead of Tesla's Nav app? unfortunately, all cars in hong kong have had their chrome browser disabled because apparantly the HK gov isn't interfering enough with everyday life

7. slicedbread

slicedbread Member

the fact that this exists and we can't use it in Hong Kong makes me sad...

8. samleemc

samleemc Member

give us the autopilot and Summon first! (I don't understand why they have to block Summon? It is not dangerous at all for God sack!)

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The fact that this exists, is completely acceptable by Hong Kong legislation, and we can't use it in Hong Kong makes me mad...

The blanket ban on the web browser results in a ban on web apps - this is one that fits within the Hong Kong legislative framework.