Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google Maps - any way to get alternate route suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When planning a route, or en route, I can't right now seem to find any way to tell the nav system to "avoid highways" or "use local roads" or for that matter, any of the routing options that native Google Maps (on mobile or browser) gives you. Grey lines representing the alternate route, which you can tap on, just like normal Google Maps, would be awesome.

I've had to ignore and/or abandon route navigation on a number of occasions when I could plainly see that traffic was going to be a nightmare along the suggested route (and I feel it should have taken this into account more intelligently). Ignore it and carry on a different way, and it does re-route on the fly. All well & good. But it'd sure be nice if I could control that routing up front, choose the path I want, and lock it in, before setting off.

Or, um, is this feature actually available, and maybe I'm just too thick to find it? :crying:

nope, couldn't find it either. sometimes i know the approx route i want to take, and i just choose that area as my approximate destination, so it leads me there. I then choose my real destination when i'm getting close to the place i selected. not ideal, but it makes do for now. The nav software can definitely do better in that regard.

I use Waze whilst driving. Much better routing options and clearer instructions on when to exit or turn. Rather annoying not to be able to rely on dashboard navigation or 17" screen for maps, but I never miss an exit and Waze is much better routing around traffic.

Great News on Waze app for Tesla? But it would sure be nice if FlatSix911 could post how we use this with our Tesla? As the Browser on my Model 3 is so slow to communicate I have to reboot several times a day just to get Tesla.com to display, can't imagine a Maps site keeping up" Please share this wonderful secret of waze for Tesla app instruction on how to use it" That would be awesome!

The fact that this exists, is completely acceptable by Hong Kong legislation, and we can't use it in Hong Kong makes me mad...

The blanket ban on the web browser results in a ban on web apps - this is one that fits within the Hong Kong legislative framework.

When the big autos finally do it, it will somehow suddenly become kosher in the eyes of TD.
or...
despite big auto finally having it in their cars, they will just de-content it for HK market (of course our neighbors to the north will get it though, you know, to keep track of social brownie points)

Great News on Waze app for Tesla? But it would sure be nice if FlatSix911 could post how we use this with our Tesla? As the Browser on my Model 3 is so slow to communicate I have to reboot several times a day just to get Tesla.com to display, can't imagine a Maps site keeping up" Please share this wonderful secret of waze for Tesla app instruction on how to use it" That would be awesome!

There's no "instructions" on using it, it really is just accessed through browser. My browser is as useless as yours so we don't get to take advantage of the waze functions provided. I have my phone mounted next to the touchscreen and use Waze on the phone.