Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google Maps maps but not Google Maps navigation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a trip over the past couple of days where I used the Nav for the first time.

At the same time, I also used the Navigation via Google Maps on my phone.

I thought that it was unusual that the phone Nav would give me a shorter route than the car. As I followed it , I figured that the car nav would soon match, but it never did until the route was fairly obvious.

Does Tesla use its own algorithm for
setting routes? Currently, there isn't a way to change any options for the Nav, right ?

According to Teslatap.com, the reason for the difference is that Google Maps are used on the main (17") screen but Navigon is used for the smaller, on dash display (and, I assume, to actually compute the turn by turn directions).

Navigation System – A Tesla combination of Google on the main display and Navigon (a Garmin company) for the Instrument display and guidance.

The main problem is that there aren't yet any options like: Avoid tolls, avoid freeways, etc. I expect them to come eventually in some future update. However, even as is, the Nav system does a pretty good job, and if you drive the way you think is best, it eventually figures it out. The trick is to turn the sound off--no one likes a nagging Nav lady.

Yup. The thing is I'd be just as happy, if not happier with the plain old Google Maps app that is on my phone, on the tesla big screen. The app has up to date maps, can do turn by turn directions, etc, and is free as far as I know.

But it doesn't have the lane indicators, which are really handy when you're not familiar with the area.

But it doesn't have the lane indicators, which are really handy when you're not familiar with the area.

Unless of course it suggests that you can cut over three lanes before you make a u-turn...

image.jpg

Eye of the beholder, I guess - I have had a lot of problems locally with Google Maps (both in the car and on my phone). In sunny So Cal, there are lots of navigation mis-routes (usually related to Google missing "east/south/west/north" street designations).

I'm still hoping to see a Waze app for the car! At least I could report map errors in the app (amongst other things).

Eye of the beholder, I guess - I have had a lot of problems locally with Google Maps (both in the car and on my phone). In sunny So Cal, there are lots of navigation mis-routes (usually related to Google missing "east/south/west/north" street designations).

I'm still hoping to see a Waze app for the car! At least I could report map errors in the app (amongst other things).

Second that, having WAZE, which I believe is owned by Google now, would be a very welcome option.

Google maps on my phone and on the console are often out of sync. The console traffic data usually being stale. I also want to see google/waze integration into tesla maps. It's good that nav doesn't need a connection all the time but when there is one, I would love to be able to see things like accidents or blocking vehicles or police presence along my route. bonus points for being able to report situations with a couple of clicks. Also, there have been some pretty outlandish routes for me - crossing jersey barriers and driving through Seattle Capital Hill light rail station excavation (30+ ft deep!). The latter route was about 2 years stale...

The routes are coming from Navigon and are superimposed on the Google map. I once went from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay on highway 1 where they recently opened up a tunnel through the mountain. The new road was on Google maps, but not on Navigon (which made the Nav system freak out a bit) and you could see the blue nav line taking a route through the closed off road. Not entirely safe if you're unfamiliar with the area.

BTW, what happened to the "seven years of map updates" for nav? Anyone?

+1 on lane indicators... HUGE feature when visiting a new area. Without it, frequent missed turns and generally more accident prone.

Got my S85 used without Nav and have been using my trusty Garmin with lane indicators. Used waze in an new area this past weekend... lots of missed turns, delayed tracking at times, cluttered phone screen with waze's social network icons (it was foggy so guess how many people reported fog each with an icon on the iPhone screen!), and lack of lane indicators caused me at least 3-4 missed turns and some less safe driving due to confusion.