TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Google Maps - send to car

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by pdk42, Nov 25, 2019.

1. pdk42

pdk42 Member

I tried using the" Share" function on Google Maps from my phone and sent the searched location to the Tesla app. It worked! When I got into the car, the destination was set for me. Very nice. So quick and easy - my last BMW had a similar feature, but you needed to use some clunky BMW web site and then login with passwords everywhere - it was so hard to use I used it once and then gave up.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  2. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

You can share many navigation based apps to the iOS Tesla app.

I had to use it in anger once when Tesla sat nav was playing dumb due to no signal, so I could find the destination details on my phone and send it to car. When car picked up the signal, it then planned the route based upon destination I had previously sent to it.

• Informative x 1
  3. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

Of course the only problem is that Waze is, basically, better.

• Disagree x 2
  4. kevuwk

kevuwk Member

Only used it once so I could set a custom route, only one destination but I chose which route to take. Sent it to the Tesla and it clearly just sent the destination and let the car choose the route

5. CMc1

CMc1 supercharge.info editor

Share YouTube and Netflix links too ;)

worth noting, don’t share supercharger locations as you won’t get battery prep and conditioning. That needs to be via the car’s nav

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

Had an odd experience with Wisley Gardens.... Shared the correct location, but satnav wanted to take me to Farnborough instead.

So just be carefull, I don't think it sends the full address and may navigate to some other thing sometimes. Best to double check before you start off if you are going somewhere new.

7. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Supporting Member

Probably because there is a Wisley Gardens in Farnborough.

8. VanillaAir_UK

I found that it does not cope well with split roads. On two occasions have I tried to navigate to an address with correct road name and postcode, only to find that it ignored the postcode. I ended up being taken to the correct road name in the town, but got wrong physical location as in the past, the road had become non contiguous and must have ignored postcode when choosing the correct segment.

• Like x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 Member

True. But the Tesla sat nav is better than the one I had in my previous BMW, so I'm not complaining to much.

• Like x 1
  10. Gaz_

Gaz_ Member

How did I not know this already, I've been looking everywhere for this

11. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

Of course, however the shared location should give the full address not just the name.

12. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

And how much would that cost for a map update? :D

13. VanillaAir_UK

Send to Tesla app definitely doesn't use postcode or coordinates. I blindly followed satnav to a location that I sent from iOS map share. When I arrived at my destination, I realised that it had missed by a 10 minute detour. Took me to another Church Road even though I had shared my pin location with the car.

Thankfully, main satnav did take the postcode which did get me there in the end.

20191205_103845000_iOS.png

14. Gaz_

Gaz_ Member

Woking, did you stop by for a royal pizza?

15. VanillaAir_UK

Actually I was out looking for Eleanor Tomlinson :D

16. Radders

Radders Member

slightly off topic, but still on Sat Nav. does any one know if you can add in a Via, once the sat nav is programmed?

I.E if i am going from A-B, sometime i may need to stop at a local supermarket or similar to get lunch, but not necessiarilary knowing the area on google maps i just can add travel via 'supermarket and it will show me options on the route, is this possible, i cant se anything in the manual?

17. CMc1

No not yet. Elon has said Nav improvements are coming. But who knows when.

You can add a supercharger stop however, but your destination SoC has to be under a certain %. (Usually when you have a yellow or red battery warning notification). You find this option at the bottom of the itinerary.

18. LukeT

LukeT Member

Lack of way points is a standard bugbear with tesla nav. Whenever I looked it up in the past it always seemed to be coming with the next update...

I find the sharing function very handy. The most first world of problems but why when I hit share for a Google maps location do I have to scroll all the way through dozens of apps I've never shared anything with to get to tesla?

19. CMc1

#19 CMc1, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Edit.. sorry, misread your reply.

go to share an address then...

8376DCC4-541E-410C-9899-DCC4BE453340.jpeg 301D83ED-2CBA-402B-ADCB-FDB1B6D7A91C.jpeg 6B4904DC-41C4-4861-9CFA-765DF4159A40.jpeg 2B6EFDA6-1BE0-475D-BC4F-DDE64EBD24FB.jpeg

you can then reorder the list

20. LukeT

LukeT Member