Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google reportedly close to striking a self-driving car partnership with Fiat Chrysler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
A report from AutoExtremist (later corroborated by The Wall Street Journal) says today that Alphabet/Google is in the late stages of discussing an “advanced technical partnership” with London-based Fiat Chrysler, citing sources with direct knowledge of the discussions…

Although it’s not exactly clear at this point what the deal would entail, CEO of the self-driving car group at Google John Krafcik reportedly began talks with Sergio Marchionne, CEO of FCA, sometime in January of this year. In the short term, AutoExtremist says that the deal includes “development of an autonomous version of FCA’s new Pacifica minivan.”

<snip>
Full article at:
Google reportedly close to striking a self-driving car partnership with Fiat Chrysler

More quoted from the interview here:

Fiat Chrysler CEO opens up on potential Google or Apple partnership to build cars

“My approach is to be completely open to technology. I think the next paradigm of this business is a paradigm that involves the cooperation for technology with the disruptors. Google is one. Apple is another, even Uber. It’s all about access to the complete information on what people do in the car..."

I think Marchionne is scared. He identifies "the disrupters" to his industry. "... to be completely open" and "cooperation" is code for "I for one welcome our new [tech] overlords."

FCA sounds like it's hurting.

They've been looking to join up with other automakers for a while now, with no success. Then we have the Jeep hacking fiasco. Marchionne slamming EVs/ Tesla and their pricing (basically telling the world they can't figure out how to make affordable EVs), and now this.

Definitely doesn't sound like a marriage of equals if it happens. Google may be buying into a load of liabilities that they may be loathed to deal with after the fact.

While doing your prototypes in a Pacifica might be nice as an example, I don't think I'd ever buy a Chrysler product again. I liked my Chrysler Laser XT in '85 and my ex's 2000 Grand Caravan worked well. My '94 Intrepid also did well until it started to fall apart at 250,000 miles. But from what I'm hearing, ever since the Fiat buyout, the quality, which was already lower than their peers, went further south.

With Tesla in the mix, they might be redefining what people expect, long term, from a car.

I don't get the appeal of Chrysler. Look at their history for the last 30-40 years. Bailed out twice. Bought twice. Still the lowest quality of the Big 3. I think this is a perfect of example of where using corporate Darwinian theory would have been the right decision. A long time ago. And no, I have not forgotten about the employees.

I was against the first bailout I have been against that last three. Fiat, while gargantuan in size, has a lousy quality rating and has done nothing to help Chrysler, aside from money and a few better, but not great, products.

Yes, I am harsh about Chrysler. I am because it pisses me off. I hate to see such a heritage be squandered. I feel the same way about International Harvester. The guys that built these and the other companies built our country.

Makes me sad to see the greats go. I get it. I just don't like it.