Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google trends: electric car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google Trends reveals the perfect storm that brought the electric car back into the collective public conscience.
If we search Google Trends for the phrase "electric car" we find a significant spike around July 2006 and the search frequency ramps up considerably in 2008 and 2009. A search for "tesla" reveals a very similar trend. You'll notice in 2005 there was also a smaller spike for the "electric car" phrase, but none for "tesla".

As it turns out, in 2005 the preliminary trailer was released for Chris Paine's film "Who Killed the Electric Car" - this explains that first spike. In July 2006, Tesla Motors revealed their first prototype Roadster which clearly became very popular on the Internet. The world was already primed with the expected release of Chris Paine's film and the timing was perfect for a new electric car company to be born. In more recent years, the film and Tesla's success pushed other companies to restart their EV programs and bring back the electric car, accounting for the steadily increasing interest shown in Google Trends.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on these things and who knows I may have gotten some facts wrong, but I found this kinda interesting and had to share it with you ppl! :biggrin:

Source: google.com/trends

electric car:
viz

tesla:
viz

As gas creeps back up to $3.50 a gallon this trending is worth watching again.

Ford figures it out: $3.50 gallons of gas is where consumers drew the line
http://green.autoblog.com/2008/05/23/ford-figures-it-out-3-50-gallons-of-gas-is-where-consumers-dre/

$3-plus-per-gallon gasoline doesn't hurt enough to make people change
http://green.autoblog.com/2007/05/21/3-plus-per-gallon-gasoline-doesnt-hurt-enough-to-make-people-c/
If you think that is expensive, please, come to holland!

Yesterday I filled up my car for EUR 1.54 a LITER! That was at a cheap gas station, when you fill along the Highway you'll pay around EUR 1.65 a LITER.

1 Gallon = 3.78541178 Liters, so 1.54 * 3.78541178 = EUR 5.829534141 a gallon.

The Euro is at 1.34 right now, so EUR 5.829534141 * 1.34 = $ 7.81 a gallon.

That's why I reserved a Model S...

Last edited:
$3.50 per gallon is cheap!! Try living in the UK where its close to £1.40 per litre. Convert that into US gallons and dollars and you get just over $8 per gallon. Suspect there would be a revolution in the USA if gas suddenly jumped to $8?

Probably explains why sales of small diesel cars that do >60mpg are growing so fast over here.