Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google+ video hangouts (TSLA & other investments)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Dave, this was great. Quite a few topics that came up are worthy of their own future hangout session, for example:
- Elon Musk, criticality of his role, historically, now, and in the future
- Tesla the company, what will it look like 5, 10, 15 years from now (markets they will be in, products and services offerings, OEM versus IP, etc.)
- Tesla market domination and when Tesla might face real competition

Thanks everyone for viewing and participating in tonight's hangout. We'll leave the recorded link up for people who weren't able to catch it live.

A special thanks to our special guest, TSLAopt - Thanks for being generous with your time and sharing, and for giving back to the community. We all appreciate it very much.

Thanks Dave, this was great. Quite a few topics that came up are worthy of their own future hangout session, for example:
- Elon Musk, criticality of his role, historically, now, and in the future
- Tesla the company, what will it look like 5, 10, 15 years from now (markets they will be in, products and services offerings, OEM versus IP, etc.)
- Tesla market domination and when Tesla might face real competition

I'm a firm believer in the near unlimited potential of Tesla going forward, however, what I wanted to hear was a devil's advocate of what could go wrong (in a big way) and not meaning anything personally happening to Elon, though that's of course something we have to worry about.
What I was taking away at the end is that Tesla would be a major player in the overall world market of personal vehicle manufacturing (if not THE dominant company) in the market in 15-20 years, but I have to think that something may happen within that time that wasn't discussed. Maybe some of the other big players today actually merger to rise to the challenge? I know Elon is too smart to let this happen, but what is needed to initiate a hostile takeover of Tesla? Maybe Tesla gets too dominant and the government steps in and decides to break up the company?

I'm a firm believer in the near unlimited potential of Tesla going forward, however, what I wanted to hear was a devil's advocate of what could go wrong (in a big way) and not meaning anything personally happening to Elon, though that's of course something we have to worry about.
What I was taking away at the end is that Tesla would be a major player in the overall world market of personal vehicle manufacturing (if not THE dominant company) in the market in 15-20 years, but I have to think that something may happen within that time that wasn't discussed. Maybe some of the other big players today actually merger to rise to the challenge? I know Elon is too smart to let this happen, but what is needed to initiate a hostile takeover of Tesla? Maybe Tesla gets too dominant and the government steps in and decides to break up the company?
I can't see how a hostile take-over would succeed. Hostile take-overs happen to oust current management, but the current management team adds tremendous value. I just don't see this happening.

Under US law, the DOJ has no authority to break up a company because it's "too dominant." Consider Google and Apple, each of which has or had well over 50 percent shares in relevant markets, but with no required break-up by the government. To the contrary, Google recently won a case brought against it by the US DOJ, which was seeking to force Google to highlight content from competing data aggregators. US antitrust law only kicks in when a company uses anti-competitive tactics to gain the upper hand (e.g. Microsoft using its control of the Windows OS to advantage its software applications like Windows Explorer). Quite reasonably, to my way of thinking, there is no legal basis for government intervention when a company grows large by offering a product that people want to buy, which describes Tesla Motors.

Thanks everyone for viewing and participating in tonight's hangout. We'll leave the recorded link up for people who weren't able to catch it live.

A special thanks to our special guest, TSLAopt - Thanks for being generous with your time and sharing, and for giving back to the community. We all appreciate it very much.

No problem. I got a lot out of everyone's insight and look forward to watching and/or participating in more Google hang outs in the future. Great job organizing

No problem. I got a lot out of everyone's insight and look forward to watching and/or participating in more Google hang outs in the future. Great job organizing
I'm adding my thanks to all participants for their insights, and for making this available for the rest of us who couldn't watch live. This was so much better than CNBC, it's not even funny.

Is it ok to ask a further question, on topic, in this thread? TSLAOpt, I'd be curious to know what the darkest moment was during this ride, or if there even was such a moment.

If this is not the right place, or you (TSLAOpt) don't feel like elaborating further, feel free to ignore the question. Thanks.

I'm adding my thanks to all participants for their insights, and for making this available for the rest of us who couldn't watch live. This was so much better than CNBC, it's not even funny.

Is it ok to ask a further question, on topic, in this thread? TSLAOpt, I'd be curious to know what the darkest moment was during this ride, or if there even was such a moment.

If this is not the right place, or you (TSLAOpt) don't feel like elaborating further, feel free to ignore the question. Thanks.

no problem...darkest moments were
a)after the run up to 110ish then the consolidation down to the 80s for what seemed like forever before rising to the 120s. (reminds me a bit of what could be going on now)
and
b)when the car fire hit the drop from 194 to the 120s...that time period seemed to last forever and didn't know when it would find a floor. This was especially tough because it was during this drop that my broker made TSLA non-margineable and I had to really scramble to avoid very terrible tax consequences on massive short term gains (ie. paying 40+% tax instead of 20% tax, not counting 6-7% state taxes).

while one might think that infamous Goldman Sachs move from 130s to 108 was dark...it actually wasn't bad because it only lasted one day (the next day TSLA rebounded back above 120 I believe) and I actually bought a small amount of cheap Sept 145 calls and Jan 2015 145 Calls that morning at the low on margin (this was before my broker made TSLA unmargineable when I could do things like that on the fly).

Thanks for hosting. Sorry I had to bail after an hour.

TSLAopt, thanks from me also for sharing your story and your investment philosophy with tsla. I am curious what motivated you to want to purchase the model s and also the model x when in comes out.

From an investment perspective, did it help you to own the car vs just test driving it? Ie did it help in gauging how good of a product it is? Also do you feel like you need to own the model x when it comes out vs just test driving it?

I can't see how a hostile take-over would succeed. Hostile take-overs happen to oust current management, but the current management team adds tremendous value. I just don't see this happening.

Under US law, the DOJ has no authority to break up a company because it's "too dominant." Consider Google and Apple, each of which has or had well over 50 percent shares in relevant markets, but with no required break-up by the government. To the contrary, Google recently won a case brought against it by the US DOJ, which was seeking to force Google to highlight content from competing data aggregators. US antitrust law only kicks in when a company uses anti-competitive tactics to gain the upper hand (e.g. Microsoft using its control of the Windows OS to advantage its software applications like Windows Explorer). Quite reasonably, to my way of thinking, there is no legal basis for government intervention when a company grows large by offering a product that people want to buy, which describes Tesla Motors.

Thanks for your insight about these questions :)

thanks so much for hosting that, dave. also thanks to all the participants.
it wrapped up right before the answer to the question about what will be the first crack we might see, as a warning for a significant market downturn. i was wondering about the response?