TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Gooloo charger to power air compressor

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Kalex, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Kalex

Kalex Member

Just purchased this Gooloo 1000 amp peak and 20800mAh to power a Viair p 88p portable air compressor.
    Worked awesome! Now I don't have to worry about the 12 volt cigarette fuse from tripping.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

What are your use(s) ?
    It seems like over kill to just inflate a tyre.

3. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

One trick i employ to prevent the fuse from burning out is to start the compressor before attaching it to the tire. This stops the sudden load on the startup and protects the fuse.

4. arnis

arnis Member

How about a reasonable vehicle with reasonable cigarette lighter socket. BMW has 25-30A to offer. Since..always.

5. docherf

docherf Member

My prior BMW 335 had only a 20 amp fuse for the cigarette lighter. I had blown it with that same Viair compressor the OP has. They are good quality compressors - can do high pressures for road bikes.

6. Kalex

Kalex Member

I use it to power up my electric scissors jack when I switch my wheels.

Attached Files:

7. docherf

docherf Member

That looks like a gadget I need to get!

8. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

How much power is lost, when you store it in the car during the winter?

9. Kalex

Kalex Member

Its lithium ion, but they suggest topping it off every 3 months, so it's on my calendar.

10. Kalex

Kalex Member

The Gooloo 1000 amp charger was $64, and the P88 Vaiar was $52 at Amazon. Those were the sale prices.
    After changing the 4 wheels the charge only dropped to 95%, The convenience is priceless.

11. arnis

arnis Member

Not good enough. Starting current should be managed with simple electrics. Having powerful brushed DC motor directly to the plug is not "wise enough".