Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gosher's Blind Spot Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the absence of good Blind Spot Detection on the Tesla has been thoroughly discussed, with some believing it's a major flaw and others believing it's unnecessary if you adjust your mirrors properly and/or rely on the rear view camera.

Regardless, my wife's only complaint from our 24-hour test drive/loan was the absence of BSD that she has become accustomed to. The only aftermarket blindspot detection system I've found is from Gosher's, and they recommend the higher end radar based system for electric vehicles, which just came out earlier this year. Has anyone looked into this one or had it installed? Any thoughts?

I have been adjusting to this myself. My wife's Mercedes which we got 1 year go has a red light in the mirrors when cars come up beside us which I started to get use too when I drove her car. My older Lexus does not have it.

Since getting my Tesla Model S on 9/28/17 I was first pretty miffed it did not have it. I first adjusted my mirrors and also have the rear view camera on top. But, I am finding the sonar around the car works pretty well which is a bit like the red lights. So, I am trying to get used to that. On the freeway I am also trying to use AutoPilot with Auto Lane Change as much as possible (which is great). But still check before I invoke Auto Lane Change. All in all very happy with my Tesla.

The reason other car's blind spot detection (BSD) uses little alerts in the mirrors/side pillars and Tesla's doesn't even have it is because most other companies use radar for their BSD while Tesla only has a forward facing radar and relies on (really high quality) ultrasonics around the car, which cannot detect as far as radar. Thus you'll never get true BSD on Tesla unless they add it based upon the cameras in AP 2.0 (AP 1.0 will never get BSD).

Having come from Audi's BSD, I first disliked Telsa's system. Now that I've gotten comfortable with it, I prefer it and dislike other BSD. Why? Side mirrors + always on HD rear camera + ultrasonics cover very well. I've also never had it fail on me, while Audi's system like to detect faults and disable itself when in heavy rain, slow traffic, or driving next to construction barriers for too long. Mirrors + rear camera covers the use case of cars speeding up behind you that BSD would never pick up, and the ultrasonics are good for that quick check for a biker truly sitting in a blind spot.

Saying all that, my wife preferred Audi's flashing light if you turned on a turn signal and the BSD detected something over Tesla's all passive methods.

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree
Goshers has a new RD1630 unit which seems to have just been released. I just saw it on Amazon, and they have it on their own site. Pricing is pretty good considering that they are still the most recommended unit on the net.

It is a radar sensor system and has rear cross traffic alerts. This new system doesn't have the same warning about hybrid or electric cars like the older sonar units so it should work fine. This seems to fit what I think most people are looking for. Best part is that they don't require drilling. They install behind the back bumper.

Any one check it out?

• Helpful
Reactions: PacManMX
You can buy a pair of blind spot mirror for $10 and do essentially the same thing. Instead of looking at a light, I look for things not to hit

Yes this. 6DC34078-F981-40C7-9EDC-BBEA26F336D1.jpeg

Post about specific brand BSD with words like “the only effective one” and then a new member posts about a deal on Amazon for the “most recommnded unit on the net” along with a feature readout.

That doesn’t look like using a forum to advertise by posing as users at all.

• Funny
Reactions: inconel
Post about specific brand BSD with words like “the only effective one” and then a new member posts about a deal on Amazon for the “most recommnded unit on the net” along with a feature readout.

That doesn’t look like using a forum to advertise by posing as users at all.

Not sure who you are pointing that to, but I am not advertising. I am simply asking if anyone has experience with this system. It just so happens that this company is the most recommended... It's not advertising jargon. It's just a fact, you can check yourself. I am not sure how I should have worded it any better - but if I made a mistake, I am sorry. There are other makes on the market, but they do not have the presence of Goshers. I can't find anything about those brands in terms of reviews or recommendations.

Anyways, I am looking for a technology solution to add the BSD to our car. I know about convex mirrors and the adjustment techniques, but being a gadget guy - I think a system will be a good addition for what I am looking for.

If anyone has picked up a radar unit - please provide some details.
Thanks!

I checked. Please share links for this being the most recommended system or that establish the presence of Goshers.

Ok, so you think I am advertising in a thread from October, that someone else made. That's nice.

Here are some links to recommendations:
Goshers Blind-Spot Detection System Review- Consumer Reports
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mazda5-technology-upgrade,3966-4.html
Gosher's Blind Spot Monitoring System: Install and Pics - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
Old car, new tricks: Adding safety tech to an older car

There are others from many other forums who have installed and given good reviews, but I think you get the point.

I haven't been able to find any other brand with this kind of coverage. Also the articles above are reviewing and recommending the older sonar systems. The 1630 radar unit they have now should be much much better since the technology has improved quite a bit and the new system has all kinds of different features.

Ok, I agree, but to be clear I didn't use the word "leading". I still don't see anything firm on any other brand - so for now they seem to be the front-runner for these systems. The new one seems to hit a sweet spot. If anyone picks up a unit - I would be interested to hear about it.

on the model S i can find times where the car is perfectly in the blind spot, Fortunately a blind spot mirror shows the car hiding.

How hard would it be for tesla to just add an audible warning when 1) autopilot off 2) signal activated and 3) object in blind spot (it shows it on the dash when the car is in the blind spot). That should be simple enough to patch with a software update. Hopefully someone from Tesla is reading this! :D (Obviously auto-lane change does this for you but there are times when manual lane changes are needed, esp surface streets on AP2)

• Love
Reactions: dogldogl