Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got 2021.36.5.2 But Now 2021.36.5.1 is Downloading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand what y'all consumer types are doing in an advanced Beta program. Bona fide Beta Testers know something about software development, and know all about imperfections.

I do understand that if y'all are evaluating the Tesla NOA on city streets Beta from the perspective of an end user who's buying Cadillac commercials, you know "drive hands-free", it's disappointing. You should simply change religions. Maybe get one of them Caddies sight unseen. Take it for a spin in full Super/Ultra Cruise on city streets that it's never encountered before and tell us all about it.

Gentlepersons! Here's the deal. Nobody understood at the outset the magnitude of the task. But now that it's clear, do you really think the automation team at Tesla is a bunch of chimps spinning their wheels, and everybody else is doing it better? "the car can’t even reliably do simple things like respond to street signs and street lights or react to traffic"? Really? On what planet is that "simple things"?

I got the "FSD" pre-upgrade after driving in NOA on the freeways (with EAP) for nearly a year and finding it very useful 95% of the time. What matters isn't grading the performance, it's using it for what it does. I'm a hardware/software developer. I see NOA as 95% full, not 5% empty. As an engineer I'm impressed with the progress, and (as a consumer) I'm delighted to have it and use it. But that's just me.

Now with "FSD" I pre-purchased the upgrade knowing darned well that initially it would be useful on city streets maybe 1/4 of the time. First of all because for 3/4 of my city drives I don't need it, unlike on the freeways. And the difficulties in this environment are nearly insurmountable. So if I'm using it (cautiously) where it's not optimal, I sure as heck know it, and it's only to provide useful feedback to the developers, not to complain about its imperfections - to do what? to inform the unaware ? Trust me, bona fide Beta Testers know all about imperfections.

Thanks for this. For countless posts I've felt like wanting to express this but always end up deleting my draft cause it's not as eloquent as this, and the feeling that some people will always be on the "empty" side so what's the point. I do think that people who got into early access just to have a taste for FSD and are unhappy with it should just opt out and make room for earnest testers.

I just got this too…2017 X and 2018 M3, both on 2021.36.5.2 (FSD Beta) and now got the push of 36.5.1. I’m not updating until I receive some confirmation….I’m not losing my Beta! Waited too damn long for this! Lol
I'm still traveling across the USA and not on much lately. Thought I would come in here to see what people are saying since I got a notification to install this version last night and I don't even have an FSD car because of the old cameras. So "GUESSING" this is not an FSD version for older cars. I don't want it at this time anyway even if it is for the older cars. The factory boys are silent to my texts about it.

Reactions: FlyF4
I'm still traveling across the USA and not on much lately. Thought I would come in here to see what people are saying since I got a notification to install this version last night and I don't even have an FSD car because of the old cameras. So "GUESSING" this is not an FSD version for older cars. I don't want it at this time anyway even if it is for the older cars. The factory boys are silent to my texts about it.
If you don't have FSD, then this update won't enable FSD Beta for you...you should always apply updates unless there is a specific reason not to, such as the one we had here, where waiting a few hours showed Tesla sent buggy firmware and then retracted it.

If you don't have FSD, then this update won't enable FSD Beta for you...you should always apply updates unless there is a specific reason not to, such as the one we had here, where waiting a few hours showed Tesla sent buggy firmware and then retracted it.
yup, I understand that bit about FSD. Technically, one of my older cars has the "capability". Aside from FSD, no, I don't believe in simply applying updates just because they are available. Been burned a couple times by that in the past. I wait until I talk to people out at the factory that have a newer update installed and see what other people say in the forums before I install one. And then at other times, I am traveling on long trips and frankly I think it is asking for problems to install an update while traveling. I would say that in the last 4 years, I have skipped over approx 10 updates and glad I did :)