Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got 2021.36.5.2 But Now 2021.36.5.1 is Downloading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at work at lunch. Any over LTE or WiFi. I won't have WiFi for a while. If I just get a download is available I will be happy. I don't need the install.
I am currently receiving 36.5.3 over cellular while driving, not on WiFi. In fact, the area I'm in says 3G, and it's still downloading. Based on my experience over the weekend, FSD Beta updates appear to be enabled for cellular download, not requiring WiFi.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4 and hellocar
Can confirm the above comments. I too got downgraded from 10.3 FSD 2021.36.5.2 to 2021.36.5.1, but have now upgraded to FSD 10.3.1 with 2021.36.5.3. And yes, I also panicked somewhat when given 2021.36.5.1 as my Safety Score went to 94 due to the malfunctioning of the FSD software with false forward collisions – and thus thought I may have to start all over again! Fortunately, as noted by some, they ignored the 94 and just used my VIN to upgrade to 2021.36.5.3. Thus, it looks like anyone with 2021.36.5.1 will be upgraded to FSD 10.3.1. Very commendable by Tesla to fix the issue so quickly, but of course we take it for granted. Mine is a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, and will be three years old tomorrow -- 37,000 miles, total maintence in three years is $65 for the cabin filters, though getting new tires before winter. One question, when will they update the Maps – mine is still 2020.48.12638 from last year? Will take it for a ride shortly. Good fun!

We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.3.1 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

As part of receiving FSD Beta, your vehicle will collect and share VIN-associated vehicle driving data with Tesla to confirm your continued eligibility for FSD Beta feature. If you wish to be removed from the limited early access FSD Beta please email [email protected]

Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision! Note that Tesla Vision also includes some temporary limitations, as noted below:

• Follow distance is limited to 2-7.
  • Autopilot top speed is 80 mph.
How to provide feedback:

• Press the "Video Record" button (View attachment 725541) on the top bar UI to share your feedback. When pressed, your vehicle’s external cameras will share a short VIN-associated Autopilot Snapshot with the Tesla engineering team to help make improvements to FSD. You will not be able to view the clip.
  • You can email your feedback to [email protected]. In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Thanks,

The Tesla Team
Quick 15 mile drive on secondary roads. No FCAs, but many phantom brakes. NOA works reasonably well. Overall kind of jerky. I have an 80 mile drive on the interstate tomorrow. We’ll see how that goes.

36.5.3 was installed this morning. On the freeway there were no more FCWs though FSD wasn't engaged since it's a wet morning here in LA and I didn't want to chance it. I did engage FSD on surface streets and found that it took left hand turns widely and right hand sharp turns were jerky. In those instances, I took control of the vehicle right away. The car also came uncomfortably close to cars parked on the street.

Jesus H Christ. I just took my first drive on 10.3.1 and it is a disaster. The car ran a stop sign in the first 30 seconds, missed a turn a minute later, started barreling through my neighborhood at 45MPH (it’s a 30 zone). Then when I got out of my community it really showed how and it is. The car accelerates way too abruptly, then waits until the last second to brake. It’s a constant back and forth between hard acceleration and hard deceleration. It cut off someone changing lanes, often turned on turn signal but did nothing, etc.

I am so unimpressed I can’t even begin. This is what 5 years of broken promises has accomplished? Anyone that thinks Usable FSD/any semblance of autonomy is right around the corner needs to wake up from their dream. This system is so terrible I don’t honestly know what they can salvage from it. The core logic of the FSD “brain” seems to be immensely flawed.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaspi101
Jesus H Christ. I just took my first drive on 10.3.1 and it is a disaster. The car ran a stop sign in the first 30 seconds, missed a turn a minute later, started barreling through my neighborhood at 45MPH (it’s a 30 zone). Then when I got out of my community it really showed how and it is. The car accelerates way too abruptly, then waits until the last second to brake. It’s a constant back and forth between hard acceleration and hard deceleration. It cut off someone changing lanes, often turned on turn signal but did nothing, etc.

I am so unimpressed I can’t even begin. This is what 5 years of broken promises has accomplished? Anyone that thinks Usable FSD/any semblance of autonomy is right around the corner needs to wake up from their dream. This system is so terrible I don’t honestly know what they can salvage from it. The core logic of the FSD “brain” seems to be immensely flawed.
I’m not sure you understand exactly the full extent of the definition of Beta. We, as consumers, we’re not supposed to get this. We are getting it because we’ve been yelling like crazy people and Tesla has released it to select few that are not likely to get themselves killed with it. i think it is remarkable what it is able to do, but acknowledge, it is far far far from ready to a public release, much less driverless autonomy.

enjoy it for what it is. if you expect a polished product that is not riddled with mistakes, then it’s not Tesla’s fault for failing to meet your expectations. It’s that your expectations were unrealistic.

Good wether I get 160-180 Wh/m, fair wether around 200-210, winter weather 230-270, lifetime average 215-ish. 2020 Model 3 Standard Range Plus. Never seen anything like the 370 I saw on the initial FSD beta drive yesterday morning. Consumption was in normal range on my way home last night though, and apparently my car didn't install the rollback even though it downloaded it and I started the install.
Hmmm maybe the sr plus is more efficient because it’s lighter. But 160-180 would get an sr+ 275-312 miles of range assuming a 50kwh battery pack. Can you actually achieve that range in good weather? Sorry for the topic diversion but this is fascinating.

You just got 36.5.3, right? How is your autopilot broken, exactly?
The indicator that shows autopilot can be activated flickers. When I try to activate it, I get an error that says autopilot is unavailable. The FSD Beta display also flickers in the same manner. After a few tries, I get an error that says I need to schedule a service appointment.
20211025_131633.jpg

The indicator that shows autopilot can be activated flickers. When I try to activate it, I get an error that says autopilot is unavailable. The FSD Beta display also flickers in the same manner. After a few tries, I get an error that says I need to schedule a service appointment. View attachment 725809
Whoa…definitely looks it…you pulled the short straw…good luck and keep us posted!

I’m not sure you understand exactly the full extent of the definition of Beta. We, as consumers, we’re not supposed to get this. We are getting it because we’ve been yelling like crazy people and Tesla has released it to select few that are not likely to get themselves killed with it. i think it is remarkable what it is able to do, but acknowledge, it is far far far from ready to a public release, much less driverless autonomy.

enjoy it for what it is. if you expect a polished product that is not riddled with mistakes, then it’s not Tesla’s fault for failing to meet your expectations. It’s that your expectations were unrealistic.
I

I’m not sure you understand I could sell anything that’s not even half baked and call it a beta. That’s what we have here with “FSD” beta. The longest running joke. 5 years of promises of autonomy and here we are near the end of 2021 and the car can’t even reliably do simple things like respond to street signs and street lights or react to traffic. That’s not a beta. This is alpha, or pre-alpha quality. This is not suitable for public release. This is a year into the public beta and it’s an absolute clusterfuc%. The rate of improvement is nearly nonexistent. For every one problem they seem to “solve” they create 6 new ones. We will be lucky if in 2031 they have anything approaching the promised feature set Elon announced 5 years ago (coast to coast autonomous driving).

I

I’m not sure you understand I could sell anything that’s not even half baked and call it a beta. That’s what we have here with “FSD” beta. The longest running joke. 5 years of promises of autonomy and here we are near the end of 2021 and the car can’t even reliably do simple things like respond to street signs and street lights or react to traffic. That’s not a beta. This is alpha, or pre-alpha quality. This is not suitable for public release. This is a year into the public beta and it’s an absolute clusterfuc%. The rate of improvement is nearly nonexistent. For every one problem they seem to “solve” they create 6 new ones. We will be lucky if in 2031 they have anything approaching the promised feature set Elon announced 5 years ago (coast to coast autonomous driving).
Wow. Your car tried to kill you, eh?

I don't understand what y'all consumer types are doing in an advanced Beta program. Bona fide Beta Testers know something about software development, and know all about imperfections.

I do understand that if y'all are evaluating the Tesla NOA on city streets Beta from the perspective of an end user who's buying Cadillac commercials, you know "drive hands-free", it's disappointing. You should simply change religions. Maybe get one of them Caddies sight unseen. Take it for a spin in full Super/Ultra Cruise on city streets that it's never encountered before and tell us all about it.

Gentlepersons! Here's the deal. Nobody understood at the outset the magnitude of the task. But now that it's clear, do you really think the automation team at Tesla is a bunch of chimps spinning their wheels, and everybody else is doing it better? "the car can’t even reliably do simple things like respond to street signs and street lights or react to traffic"? Really? On what planet is that "simple things"?

I got the "FSD" pre-upgrade after driving in NOA on the freeways (with EAP) for nearly a year and finding it very useful 95% of the time. What matters isn't grading the performance, it's using it for what it does. I'm a hardware/software developer. I see NOA as 95% full, not 5% empty. As an engineer I'm impressed with the progress, and (as a consumer) I'm delighted to have it and use it. But that's just me.

Now with "FSD" I pre-purchased the upgrade knowing darned well that initially it would be useful on city streets maybe 1/4 of the time. First of all because for 3/4 of my city drives I don't need it, unlike on the freeways. And the difficulties in this environment are nearly insurmountable. So if I'm using it (cautiously) where it's not optimal, I sure as heck know it, and it's only to provide useful feedback to the developers, not to complain about its imperfections - to do what? to inform the unaware ? Trust me, bona fide Beta Testers know all about imperfections.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the beta, warts and all. If it wasn't for us early adopters who know how to safely use the system and provide constructive, meaningful feedback to the devs - the future would be a lot further out. I find it engaging and fulfilling to watch how the software is developing and progressing. Of course, alpha / beta software is not for public consumption but I'm glad that Tesla gives me the option to be in on the journey. Stay safe, extra careful and stay smart and if you can't provide constructive feedback, stop using features called (beta) on the big screen. Yes, I fell for the trap of paying for FSD way too early. That's on me but this isn't the only place where I've placed my bets. Some bets hit big (mining bitcoin as an early adopter) and some bust (FSD). Whatever. Move on. Stay focused on the good and fun stuff! Life is short!