Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a bad tint job. Not sure what I should do.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my new M3 tinted last week. I picked it up when it was still drying so didn't think much of it. This is the first time I got a car tinted, so from the outside things looked good.

The next day, I started noticing bubbles, this wrinkle in the back, the alignment issue, and even a scratch on the outside of the window. Today, I'm noticing debris behind some parts and even hair on the windshield? The windshield tint doesn't even go to the bottom. You can clearly see a line above the speakers.

I took it back today and they claim they never scratched the window because "why would we cut so low". They said they would redo the back window and other sections that have bubbling / hair, but I don't think I want them to touch it again. I have a feeling they may damage something more or it will come out even worse.

What should I do? Try to ask for a refund and do it again somewhere else? Get a refund and ask them to remove the tint and do it somewhere else? I called another place and they quoted $450 just to remove the tint. They refuse to do anything about the scratches. Really sucks because this was my dream car and they are making it into such a headache.

20211002_155021.jpg
20211002_113824.jpg
20211002_155234.jpg

If the scratch on the glass is on the outside, then it might not have been caused by the tint installers. I had tint installed and afterwards noticed a scratch on the outside of the glass. It wasn't noticeable until the tint was applied, where you can then see a contrast on the glass where the scratch would stand out. Sorry you had a bad install job. At least they place you went to is willing to redo the parts that have hair and whatever else. Keep us updated.

If the scratch on the glass is on the outside, then it might not have been caused by the tint installers. I had tint installed and afterwards noticed a scratch on the outside of the glass. It wasn't noticeable until the tint was applied, where you can then see a contrast on the glass where the scratch would stand out. Sorry you had a bad install job. At least they place you went to is willing to redo the parts that have hair and whatever else. Keep us updated.
Tint installers often hold the roll of material on the outside of the window to cut it because it is less awkward. They could have easily done this.

Reactions: byeLT4
They definitely did it cutting the tint. They will size it on the outside of the window, cut it, and then move inside to install it.

That's an extremely common mistake among new tinters.

You’re correct. People don’t understand that the film is trimmed and preshrunk on the outside of the glass.

It's really difficult to get tint perfect. My 3 was done by a very very good shop and i'd say it's about 98% there. There are some imperfections in the rear tint and one small fiber behind the tint but I've gotten over it because you really have to look to find it. BUT, i'd say that is fairly sloppy work and pretty clear that was a tinter with very little experience. They key is to have the tint removed from the rear glass by a VERY experienced person. You don't want to damage the defroster lines on the rear glass. It has to be done soon and with steam and carefully slow pealing process.

Beware! Most tint companies lay the tint on the outside glass to cut to fit. So it is very possible that the outside scratches were caused by the tinting company.

It's really difficult to get tint perfect. My 3 was done by a very very good shop and i'd say it's about 98% there. There are some imperfections in the rear tint and one small fiber behind the tint but I've gotten over it because you really have to look to find it. BUT, i'd say that is fairly sloppy work and pretty clear that was a tinter with very little experience. They key is to have the tint removed from the rear glass by a VERY experienced person. You don't want to damage the defroster lines on the rear glass. It has to be done soon and with steam and carefully slow pealing process.

I don’t know about that. Mine is perfect and every car I’ve ever had done plus my friends are perfect. I wouldn’t accept anything less.