Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a flat tire in Tijuana, Mexico

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two different tires of the same numbering size can have size variances that can mess with the all wheel drive system
So I got some awesome and helpful information when I talked to a technician at the service center yesterday! He informed me that unlike AWD ICE vehicles, AWD Tesla’s have the dual motor/dual drive system that are independent. He said that while putting different size tires on isn’t optional and not recommended, that it won’t damage the drive or motor system!

That being said this was info from a single technician, so I’m going to ask another next time to confirm this. At face value it’s good to know in case your options are limited, like mine were.

Good news guys! After a few days all of my issues are gone and the car is driving like new, apparently it just needed some time to recalibrate the system to the newer tires with deeper tread depth. No more traction control warnings, sketchy deceleration, also the autopilot and regenerative braking is working great again!

Reactions: DocHolliday
Uh, $500 is the normal price for a tire. They may only be "$400" each from the cheapest sources like Costco or Discount Tire but that quickly ramps up to $500 once taxes, disposal fees, mounting, balancing, etc. are all added.

I don't think $500 is anywhere close no "normal" for PS4S tires.
I bought my last set from Costco, which matched TireRack.com pricing and saved me the shipping cost.
As of today, PS4S's are $358.99 / per @TR, or $1,562.68 with shipping. That makes it $390.67 to my door.

YMMV,
a

P.S.: Next time around, I'm going with a set of 245/35ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's.

I don't think $500 is anywhere close no "normal" for PS4S tires.
I bought my last set from Costco, which matched TireRack.com pricing and saved me the shipping cost.
As of today, PS4S's are $358.99 / per @TR, or $1,562.68 with shipping. That makes it $390.67 to my door.

YMMV,
a

P.S.: Next time around, I'm going with a set of 245/35ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's.
Turns out I’m getting BOTH tires for $500! I always purchase Mexican insurance before going over the border, they just informed me they will cover anything over the $500 deductible.

I appreciate the info, good to know for future reference! Hopefully the next time I need tires it isn’t in an emergency situation where my time and options are limited. Unfortunately Costco couldn’t get them in for me anytime soon and I needed tires to get back to LA from San Diego.

I did purchase the extended Discount Tire warranty which added onto the price, I’m not sure where you live but in California tax also tends to be a bit high..

Reactions: DocHolliday
Funny, I had to replace my original 20s a few months back. To get the best price. I ended up calling 5 different tire sources including Discount and Tesla. Tesla was the cheapest at $1626.50, including all taxes and fees. Some others were over $2000 for the set, and only Tesla had the tires in stock.

Wow. TSLA really doesn't treat service as profit center. Although tires is one thing dealers price match on too.

Do they only stock OEMs though? (typically softer, doesn't last as long) My rear alert is on after about 25K miles so I will try for michelin tread warranty too, which I'm sure I can't with TSLA