Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a flat tire in Tijuana, Mexico

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my 2022 Model 3 Performance to Tijuana last week, something I have done on at least 6 other occasions without incident. I always drive much slower and cautiously in TJ due to the bad roads (seriously the worst roads that I’ve seen in any part of the world, potholes and even chunks of concrete in the middle of the road).

I was going about 15 mph when I hit a bad pothole, which blew both of my driver side tires. No tire shop in the area had 235/35 R20 tires, they are more or less a custom size (at least in Mexico). I ended up having to put used 225/30 R20 tires on as a temporary fix until I could get back over the border. This caused the traction control warning light to come on, in addition Autopilot would not engage and the car was not smooth when decelerating (a bit jumpy). This eventually went away on it’s own after a couple days, after which I made it back to San Diego to swap the temporary tires with the original Pirelli’s. Then the issue came back, unfortunately I had to get back to home in LA. Does anyone know what this is about? Does the Tesla recalibrate itself after a couple days with new tires?
73BB5815-BAD5-44AB-B06B-227A9446D2DF.jpeg

I ended up having to put used 225/30 R20 tires on as a temporary fix until I could get back over the border. This caused the traction control warning light to come on, in addition Autopilot would not engage and the car was not smooth when decelerating (a bit jumpy). This eventually went away on it’s own after a couple days, after which I made it back to San Diego to swap the temporary tires with the original Pirelli’s. Then the issue came back, unfortunately I had to get back to home in LA. Does anyone know what this is about? Does the Tesla recalibrate itself after a couple days with new tires?

It does.
Go into one of the menus (Service?), re-select 20" wheels, and re-set TPMS.

That should fix it for you, unless something else (TPMS sensor?) got dinged.

HTH,
a

Reactions: Skydive85
Two different tires of the same numbering size can have size variances that can mess with the all wheel drive system
I was considering this too, wish I could talk to the Tesla service center and ask them about it, but I’m sure as you know you can’t call them. My service appointment is a month out.. I’m also concerned if this will void my drive system warranty if it causes permanent damage??

Go into one of the menus (Service?), re-select 20" wheels, and re-set TPMS.

That should fix it for you, unless something else (TPMS sensor?) got dinged.

HTH,
a
So I just tried doing this, however no options came up to reset the TPMS. I also looked at the online user manual and the info they showed on resetting it didn’t bring me to the menu. Someone on another post said that I don’t have the option because it does it automatically due the fact that I have the refresh model which has Bluetooth TPMS and not the 433 mhz. I’m so frustrated right now, I really wish I could reset it so my car drives like normal, but I can’t and my service appointment is a month out! I really need to drive my car but I’m not sure if I should out of fear that I could worsen the issue. And of course you can’t call the Tesla service center 😡

Last edited:
If you replaced only two of the four tires and the old tires had significant tread wear then they would have a smaller diameter than the new tires. This can mess up traction control which monitors the rotational speed of each tire.

hmm I planned on replacing only my rears. (warning msg saying they're low)

So I should do all 4?

Reactions: Skydive85
Uh, $500 is the normal price for a tire. They may only be "$400" each from the cheapest sources like Costco or Discount Tire but that quickly ramps up to $500 once taxes, disposal fees, mounting, balancing, etc. are all added.
Ntm the source where I got them for that much was actually Discount Tire, I figured I might as well add on the extended warranty while I’m at it. But yes with fees and that little thing called tax it definitely adds up.

Funny, I had to replace my original 20s a few months back. To get the best price. I ended up calling 5 different tire sources including Discount and Tesla. Tesla was the cheapest at $1626.50, including all taxes and fees. Some others were over $2000 for the set, and only Tesla had the tires in stock.
Good to know! Hopefully if it happens again I’m within range of a Tesla Service Center