Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a loaner - have some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla picked up my month-old S60 today and dropped off a P85 loaner. After running some errands and playing with the loaner, I have a couple of questions:

1) How can I get the "dial" display in my (non autopilot) S60? Is this part of 8.0 (my S60 is still on 7.1)?:
IMG_20161011_142528106.jpg

2) How can I tell if this loaner has the upgraded audio? The loaner blows my S60 (with standard audio) away in terms of sound quality. If the loaner has the upgraded audio then that's the reason. If it doesn't then something has to be up with my S60 because it has ZERO bass. I mean nothing, nada. It literally sounds like an older bluetooth radio.

IMG_20161011_142533808.jpg IMG_20161011_133711781.jpg IMG_20161011_142709823.jpg

Thanks!

The "dial" display is the version of the UI for non-AP enabled cars (also was the old display in... 6.x? or was it 7.0?). Even if you don't have AP enabled at the moment, you have the hardware and you have the AP safety features (AEB, etc.), so you can't go back to the "dial" display.

It doesn't look like it has the upgraded audio. It would have the subwoofer in one of the side cubbies in the trunk.

The "dial" display is the version of the UI for non-AP enabled cars (also was the old display in... 6.x? or was it 7.0?). Even if you don't have AP enabled at the moment, you have the hardware and you have the AP safety features (AEB, etc.), so you can't go back to the "dial" display.
Ah, gotcha. Too bad. I much prefer the "dial" display.

It doesn't look like it has the upgraded audio. It would have the subwoofer in one of the side cubbies in the trunk.
I read somewhere that 8.0 improved the audio quality of the standard audio system. Do you know if that's true? I'm wondering if that's the case since my car is still on 7.1. I mean, the audio quality difference is night and day.

Standard audio takes a month or more to break in. When I first got my 85D I was so disappointed in the standard audio, but after a month or so, it got a lot better, especially in bass. I have my bass set at +9 and am happy enough with the response.

Beware that your audio source makes a big difference as well. So if you, for instance, were listening to FM, make sure both the loaner and your car were turned into HD. If listening to Slacker, make sure your settings on both are using Best quality.

My S60 lacks any bass no matter the source. I've tried FM (HD), slacker (set to "best") and my own music on a flash drive. The loaner sounds MUCH better with both FM and slacker. I left my flash drive in the S60.

I assume you did this, but I am going to ask anyways. The equalizer settings in the 2nd picture are the same in both cars, right? If not, try using the settings from above in your car and compare.

I got an answer from Tesla today regarding the sound quality difference between my car and the loaner. Apparently, at some point, Tesla switched from 3rd party speakers and other audio hardware to doing everything (including the speakers) in house.

I was told that even though neither car has the upgraded audio, there is no comparison between the two. I asked, "so the older standard audio has better sound quality?" and the reply was "Well, it's different". Read between the lines however you wish but to me it says even the techs know the newer audio hardware is crap in comparison to the older standard audio.

Did they by chance tell you at what point?

I'm guessing it's somewhere between VIN number 19xxx (your loaner) and 150xxx (roughly where the current VINs are?), but I'd like to narrow it down some more to see where my car falls.

Nope, he didn't mention at what point they switched. He spoke as if the loaner was ancient though. So my guess the switch-over was well after 2013.

When I get my car back next week I'm going to compare the interior to see if there's anything that makes it obvious.

He also mentioned that a lot of people weren't happy with the new current standard audio or upgraded audio. So it seems the best thing to do is just get the standard system and do an aftermarket upgrade.

Nope, he didn't mention at what point they switched. He spoke as if the loaner was ancient though. So my guess the switch-over was well after 2013.

When I get my car back next week I'm going to compare the interior to see if there's anything that makes it obvious.

He also mentioned that a lot of people weren't happy with the new current standard audio or upgraded audio. So it seems the best thing to do is just get the standard system and do an aftermarket upgrade.
Thanks for the info. That's what I have planned.