Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a nail in my tire and found foam inside when I went to get it patched...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And now my car is shuddering/shaking when I go above 60 and previously it was fine. The tire shop is pretty reputable and called Continental Tires who said foam was in the BACK TIRES ONLY for sound insulation. Now shop is recommending that I get that wheel balanced (which I will) but has anyone else ever heard of this?

I had to do an emergency tire repair with that tire slime/spray - of course the downside is that it goops up the foam in the tire and your balance is all fouled up. Tesla removed the tire's foam/goop for free at the service center and I am riding with one back tire without the foam insert without any noticeable issue.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
I had to do an emergency tire repair with that tire slime/spray - of course the downside is that it goops up the foam in the tire and your balance is all fouled up. Tesla removed the tire's foam/goop for free at the service center and I am riding with one back tire without the foam insert without any noticeable issue.
The tire slime/goop is meant as a temporary solution to get you to safety, but it's also supposed to render the tire unserviceable. You're supposed to replace the tire afterwards. That is why I also carry a plug kit, so that I can hopefully fix the tire without using the slime.

And now my car is shuddering/shaking when I go above 60 and previously it was fine. The tire shop is pretty reputable and called Continental Tires who said foam was in the BACK TIRES ONLY for sound insulation. Now shop is recommending that I get that wheel balanced (which I will) but has anyone else ever heard of this?

The foam is in the 'quiet' version of the Continental tires, it does dampen some of the irritating noise frequencies. If you get a nail in the tire the foam can be cut away locally to add the patch. None of this should matter for balancing however.

When the tire shop patched the tire they either would have had to put the tire back on exactly in the same position, or they would have to re balance it. Most likely they didn't do one of those. The foam is completely irrelevant.

Reactions: vandacca
The foam option is in the Goodyear, Continental, and Pirelli Tires. The Goodyear and Pirelli have a both a "silent" and regular asymmetric tires for the Model X.

I had the Goodyear, and the tire damaged and was not repairable. The foam on the inside of the Goodyear felt hard and could not be removed, to patch the tire. I was within a few months of replacing the set anyway, so It was not a big deal. I replaced with Pirelli tires (just to gauge the difference). The tire dealer (I've been using for years), said the Pirelli's were repairable in the event of a puncture since the foam liner is softer, and can be burnished off for patching but would require a re-balance (which they would do anyway).

I carry a small pump in the vehicle -- similar to the one Tesla has. I was able to pump the tire up and get home and to the tire store the next day without using the "goop" I am not sure how that stuff affects the pressure sensors. I would highly recommend carrying a 12VDC pump over using sealant. Takes a little more time, but will not ruin the tire or the pressure sensor. My damage caused the tire to loose pressure down below 29 lbs in 25 mins -- which is considerable -- but the pump was still a good alternative.

So far the Pirelli's have performed well. Too early to make any real comparison to the OEM GoodYears. I would say the seem a bit quieter, but just a small judgement on my part.

did something else happen in the same event? hit a pot hole or something?

when they patched the tire, did they remove and remount the tire?

No pothole or anything like that. They removed the tire, patched it and balanced it. The shaking has improved since I went back to get it balanced but it still is a little noticeable - more than what it was like before the nail. Tires seem fine overall - just wanted to make sure I didn't need a replacement.