TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Got a nice surprise picking up my P85D tonight

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Volt, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Volt

Volt Member

First, the car is absolutely AMAZING. For those who've been patiently (or more likely impatiently) waiting...you'll soon be rewarded. The car pulls SO hard it truly is hard to describe. I had a P85+ for about three weeks in September - Early October and this is on an entirely different level.

Now, the surprise. My expectations had been set by my DS that my car would have NG front seats but that the rears would be the old version (for now). I ordered my car with two sets of wheels. the 19" standard / base wheels with winter tires and 21" in dark grey with the PS2 Summer tires. The DC staff had very nicely loaded up my summer wheel set (each in their own Tesla wheel tote) into the back of my car for delivery. Upon unloading them at home, I flipped my rear seats back into position and discovered this:

20141218_030056443_iOS.jpg

:biggrin:

Here's the front NG seats, too:

front.jpg

Needless to say, I'm quite pleased.

Incidentally, the first three P85Ds in WA state were delivered today. I was second. Sending all of you good wishes for speedy delivery!

2. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

Congrats!

The question everyone on the forum will want to know:

Do the next-gen rear seats lie-flat when folded down?

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@Volt

Congratulations! Enjoy your P85D! :cool:

4. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

+1 randomnpersonx @Volt ....I agree with the above...you can now answer the burning question...do the seats fold flat !!??

5. GetAmped

GetAmped Member

Congratulations on the delivery! Awesome news on the seats, hope this is the same for everyone.

6. necho

necho Member

Awesome ... Congratulation!!!

How about the heated steering wheel, have you got it as well?

7. 403portside

403portside Member

Wow, you are the only person who has gotten the next gen seats delivered both front and back. Any idea why?

8. Volt

Volt Member

99% sure it's a NO on heated steering wheel. My DS has not actually not even been trained on where the control is (and there's no obvious button on the steering wheel. Personally, I'm not concerned...I never expected it.

I don't know why. I do consider myself lucky though :)

9. sundoc

sundoc Member

Wow that's awesome!

So you've got the answer... Do they fold flat is the question!

10. Volt

Volt Member

Okay, I took some pictures of the seats folded down. In short they do not lay flat and, in fact, there's a lip / step from the flat rear cargo area up to the folded down seat back. I don't have much time right now but I did take some pictures and have posted them here for you all to see:

http://1drv.ms/13AYElU

Hopefully, this helps you get a sense.

11. sundoc

sundoc Member

Thank you Volt!
    I bet there is going to be a fair bit of grumbling from the 'internets' now... ;)

12. spentan

spentan Active Member

Didn't they always have a lip? I thought they did.

can they squish down flat?

13. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

There's always been a drop off from the seat back to the cargo area. They look like they might stick up just a little more than the old ones.

14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Because his car went into production after the 12/4 freeze and seat issue had been resolved.

15. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Congratulations! I think/hope you're only about a week ahead of me. Thanks for the pics, I know a lot have been asking and I've not seen the next gen fitted before in the rear... Nice surprise.

16. thebishop

thebishop Member

Congratulations, looks super nice!

How is the comfort of the new seats both front and back? I am a bit larger than average at 6"1 and 230lbs and am a bit concerned about the next-gen seats in terms of comfort - especially, the thigh-"wings", are they fairly soft and supple, or stiff?

Could you elaborate on what you think? Are you small/medium/large framed?

(I have a P85D that is due to be confirmed on Dec 23, so trying to figure this one out, currently have next-gen seats on the order...)

Thanks!

17. Volt

Volt Member

Seats are a big, big improvement. I'm also 6'1" (200 lbs). the side bolsters are firm but not overly so. They are a welcome change given the power increase and better cornering with AWD.

18. 403portside

403portside Member

Interesting. When/where was it confirmed that everything going into production after 12/4 wouldn't be impacted by the seat issue? First I'm hearing of that.

19. island

island Fairfield County / NYC

Hey Volt, try going to the winter options menu (where you put the heated seats on from) and tap on your steering wheel to see if anything happens. That's how you turn it on if you have it from a photo I saw earlier - give it a shot!

20. Volt

Volt Member

Thanks, Island. I'll give it a shot when I get a break from my meetings today. Appreciate the tip.