Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a pre-AP 85 loaner for my 1st annual service, some comparisons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped off my 70D for the first annual service, got a pre-AP 85 loaner vin 51xxx. So I assume it's a 2014 model before AP. Other than the above differences, the loaner car has original leather seats, AS and prem audio. The SC is about 10 miles from my place of work and most of the drive is on a 6 lane divided road that's not a freeway. However work is being done to make it a freeway.

Overall here are my immediate feel on the differences:
  1. As soon as I began adjusting the seats, I realized that the seats don't go as low as the next gen seats. I always sit in the lowest seating position in all cars (feels more sporty), so the seat feels a little high to me. Overall the seat is not nearly as comfortable as next gen seats.
  2. Upon exiting the SC, and making the first right turn, I immediately felt that the seat is not nearly as supportive on the sides. My body would sway to the sides, adding to a feeling of instability.
  3. After driving for less than a mile or so, I immediately noticed that the car feels floaty. That's when I realized that it has AS and I then change suspension to low. I played around with the suspension on the 10 mile drive and felt the car is too floaty whenever I change it to normal. It's OK on low, but still feels a tiny bit floatier than coil. And ride quality is really not any different between low AS vs coil. I much prefer sportier rides (BMW Msport or Porsches), I am really glad I went with coil.
  4. Probably due to both positioning and lack of side bolsters on the horizontal seating surface, my leg is in a slightly different driving position, resulting in my lower leg resting on an angled area of the door... it's hard and angled, so it's not comfortable...
  5. I have listened to the premium audio many times before, while shopping for the car and also the couple times I went to the SC for other purposes (fixing a couple super minor issues). I listened to about 5 songs on my phone and am not really impressed just like before... Other than a little more base, it doesn't really sound much better to warrant the $2500.
Of course I love having AP and TACC as well.

In terms of driving dynamics, the 85 and 70D feel pretty much similar at local speeds. I know the 85's acceleration is stronger beyond maybe 50mph compared to the 70 from previous experiences. The 85 is definitely quieter due to the lack of a front motor.

Overall very glad I have my car with next gen seats, and didn't waste money (per my personal taste) on AS or premium audio.

Last edited:
Humm, maybe I need to raise the seat a little bit? Strange how it feels higher... Overall I just feel so wobbly in the old seats...

PS: anyone know if there is any mileage limits on loaners? not thinking of anything excessive, but maybe 2-300 miles in the next 3 days?

Humm, maybe I need to raise the seat a little bit? Strange how it feels higher... Overall I just feel so wobbly in the old seats...

I am saying the seat in the loaner you have is higher than what I have in a 2012 P85. I am not sure how Next gen seats compare to the original seats but they are probably lower than any version of them, especially the second version of first gen seats

I was getting a loaner car in 2013 and dropped the seat as low as I could and then jumped back in my car to verify that it was different and it was by a noticeable amount. I can not see part of the hood from my seat but it was all visible sitting in the loaner
not a huge difference but it sucks trying to wear a helmet in the higher seats