Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a VIN! But can't take the car quite yet - do I have options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, we ordered last summer and since then have accrued a kid, and that kid led us to looking for a bigger house. We're currently in the very middle of escrow and can't 1) afford to drop $60K in cash since our down payment for the house is coming up in a couple weeks, and 2) can't take out a loan because we'll upset the financing process of the house.

We want the house way more than we want the Tesla, though both would be great. I got a text that the VIN got assigned last night and then a call this morning saying the car is on the lot ready to go.

Kind of wild out of about seven EDD changes starting in December, the date it actually arrives is the perfectly wrong date. Literally no other week could be worse.

Can we delay? Even if it's just by a few weeks. We also aren't in any rush, so even if it puts us in the back of some queue, that's fine. If that, would we still have 2021 pricing?

Can we delay? Even if it's just by a few weeks.

Generally, if you do not take the car within 3-business days you will lose it. And I don't mean put back in the cue, you may have to start the order process over and have to pay the current price. Call the SC but be prepared for bad news.

But I would check with your bank as you can probably swing a car loan without impacting the house transition.

Can we delay? Even if it's just by a few weeks. We also aren't in any rush, so even if it puts us in the back of some queue, that's fine. If that, would we still have 2021 pricing?
You can put your order on hold (VIN is unmatched) but since you ordered so long ago... I don't think that is possible anymore. I was told 150 days after order... any time an order goes on hold it gets auto-canceled. Tesla forced unholds on my summer and early fall 2021 orders in Feb/March 2022.

You should be able to reject one VIN, but you’d have to take the next one they offer you. It’s not going to hurt to see if you can put your order on hold, but I’m not sure if you will be able to.

Reactions: EdgeM3LR
Follow up - Talked to SA this morning. He put me on a one-month hold. Unmatched the VIN and the account went to a status that lets me click a button whenever I'm ready to be taken off hold. At that point, a car will be matched. 2021 pricing preserved.
This, you are allowed one hold. At which point, when the hold is removed you have to accept car or subject to cancellation. The days are gone when you can delay hold longer than 30 days (that is currently max)

Follow up - Talked to SA this morning. He put me on a one-month hold. Unmatched the VIN and the account went to a status that lets me click a button whenever I'm ready to be taken off hold. At that point, a car will be matched. 2021 pricing preserved.

Just to warn you.. while SAs can do things like put holds on an order does not mean Tesla HQ will not auto-cancel orders.

My SAs have given me 6+ month holds back in the fall (I didn't ask for that long) but Tesla HQ overrode them and forced me to unhold.

Just to warn you.. while SAs can do things like put holds on an order does not mean Tesla HQ will not auto-cancel orders.

My SAs have given me 6+ month holds back in the fall (I didn't ask for that long) but Tesla HQ overrode them and forced me to unhold.

The SA *did* say that because the order date was so long ago, I might get a bunch of automated texts from Tesla telling me to take the account off hold. He said to ignore them for the 30-day window.

Reactions: voxel