Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a VM about an "exclusive time-sensitive Trade-In offer for existing owners"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla agent called me a few days ago to ask if I was interested in trading in my 2014 Model S85. I own it outright. I was not interested, so I didn't ask for any specifics on what they were offering. Tesla, call me back if you want to make an even trade for a 2018 Model S P100D.

Wait what? A 2014 S85 with how many miles? For a S P100D with how many miles? That doesnt seem right.

I started getting similar cars when my Model S was about 3 years old. Lots of them. From as far away as New York City (I'm in Toronto, Canada). They were more pushy than any ICE dealer I had dealt with up to then, which I thought was really odd. Tesla sales reps may not be on commission, but it certainly seems like there is some sort of sales incentive process at work behind the scenes.

I started getting similar cars when my Model S was about 3 years old. Lots of them. From as far away as New York City (I'm in Toronto, Canada). They were more pushy than any ICE dealer I had dealt with up to then, which I thought was really odd. Tesla sales reps may not be on commission, but it certainly seems like there is some sort of sales incentive process at work behind the scenes.

"No commision" is the bull Tesla uses. They get a bonus (apparently relatively small), but in an Elon Musk company you need to perform to keep your job, so whether they get a commission or not is irrelevant to how pushy they'll be on the phone.